PDA

View Full Version : OT: Plastic / PEX / PVC tubing vs. copper for Plumbing.

William
10-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Anyone have experience with these?

We recently had a plumber out at the house when we had an old copper pipe spring a pin hole leak. The plumber suggested that plastic would be a better alternative then copper considering the well water that runs through the pipes. According to him the well water is very corrosive to the copper pipes. As many of you know this is an old house and I'm not sure how long the copper has been here. There is a small percentage in the basement that has already been switched over.

It certainly would be a lot easier to replumb the house with this stuff as opposed to copper.

Help and advice very much appreciated! :cool:

William

cycleman_21
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I have seen it and my plumber really likes it, and it makes good sense
no personal experience though
A lot of good read info here

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0600430221470.html

Ron C

Dave
10-09-2007, 11:55 AM
PEX is currently the newest alternative to copper and becoming more prevalent in the Denver area, now that the price of copper has sky-rocketed. New homes under construction are being vandalized by thieves seeking copper pipe and wire to sell for scrap.

As a mechanical engineer, I wouldn't hesitate to use PEX, particularly if your water is truly corrosive. I'm experienced with installing copper plumbing and agree that it will be a lot easier and cheaper to install PEX. I've added and rerouted copper tubing in my 4-year old home when finishing the basement and adding a bathroom. Using PEX would have cut the installation time down greatly. I rerouted two pipes around a support beam and needed 17 elbows with copper. PEX would have only required 4, plus none of the short connecting pipes.

The only down side to PEX for small jobs is the need for the $100 crimping pliers for each size of tubing. The Home Depot stores in my area don't support PEX very well either. Nothing is more frustrating than going to HD and not being able to get a critical fitting.

The other alternative I've seen in new homes is CPVC being used for both hot and cold water. Though PVC will work for cold water, apparently it's not worth the risk of mixing up the fittings and pipe. The downside to CPVC is it's nearly as labor intensive as copper.

musgravecycles
10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
William,

As they say in Serotta-land, your plumber "gets it." :rolleyes:

I am currently the plant services director for a private academy and spent huge chunks of my time dealing with this exact problem. Strong water will kill copper dead in no time.

PEX is great stuff, that's what I'd put in my house if I were building at the moment.

William
10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks folks! :cool:

Seems like it would be easier to do...and the fewer plaster walls I need to make holes in, and wide plank floors I need to pull up the better. ;)

William

Birddog
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
PEX is the bomb. It's been used in Eu for years and is now widely accepted here even by most of the old, malcontent, curmudgeon, plumbers. There are still a few exception, but by and large everybody likes the stuff. You could probably do it yourself, and there is no need for a crimper any more either. All you need is an inexpensive cutter. Here is a link to one brand of the fittings.
http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre.asp?cID=588&brandid=

Have fun,
Birddog

PS Owning old houses is a lot like owning boats.

jwb96
10-09-2007, 08:52 PM
When I re-did my kitchen I used PEX to make life easier. It rocks, although I did have to sweat on the connectors to the existing copper. But my local Home Depot had the crimp tool available to rent for something like $9 a day, so it turned out to be quite economical compared to hiring a plumber, even with that cost.

I say go for it.

Jim

Ahneida Ride
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
William

from the well to the house, the run is some sort of plastic.
Copper in the house.

William
10-10-2007, 05:11 AM
I had forgotten. One of the houses that we looked at when we were house hunting a couple of years ago had been plumbed with PEX....at least the basement was. The owner was a carpenter and had finished the walk out basement himself. Instead of running the base board forced water lines behind the wall, he built the molding out just enough to accommodate the PEX line behind it for the run to each baseboard. At the door ways to the garage and shop, he ran the line up and around the doorway, again building the trim out just enough to accommodate the line. I never even noticed until the realtor pointed it out. It was a clean job that didn't require getting behind walls or ripping up floors if there was ever a problem. It was clean and not even noticeable unless you were looking for it. I would rather not rip up some of this old wide plank oak floors to run lines if I can help it and this might be something to consider.

We've had three pin hole leaks since we moved in. The last one was easy..exposed pipe in the basement. The other two were a pain: Had to open the ceiling on one, and open up a bathroom wall on the other. PEX is looking better and better.

William

rwsaunders
10-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Pex is the new black. Plastic has replaced cast iron waste lines, copper supply lines and steel gas lines. You don't have to be much of a craftsman to work with it, with the exception of the connections.

There are several theories regarding plastic and it's relationship to drinking water, but at this level, it's the way to go.