PDA

View Full Version : boulevard of broken dreams, ny yankees

stevep
10-09-2007, 06:35 AM
the serotta forum has recently begun the practice of providing counseling to members whose professional teams fail them in spectacular ways. this is a nice contribution to try to offset the bitterness that can linger after a bad season or a bad performance.

the forum sports team grief counselor has recently been flown into ny to meet with poor quattro...having left san diego and the poor group of charger fans left miserable out there... but this is an emergency for ny fans...

recently a tape on u-tube has been unearthed with the following conversation... the names have been changed to provide anonymity.

Swooop ( sports counselor, psychiatrist )...
" so, you think your team failed?"

quatttro...
"but they deserve to be there, they won everything during the last century...like 27 times..."

swooop
"but times change, teams go up and down over time...its been a long time..."

quatttro
"but we have the biggest payroll by a mile, babe ruth played for our team fer gds sake. and a-rod too!!."

swooop
"babe ruth is dead...maybe its time to let him get some rest...like a-rod slept through the playoffs...he's now well rested for the fall..."

quatttro
" mickey mantle, roger maris, yogi berra, mr october himself... we deserve another shot..."

swoooop
"but in sports its all today,. not yesterday..thats the beauty..."

quatttro
"maybe they could dq the indians..give us another shot at the red sox who are still playing..."

swooop
"relax quatttro, its over for the year, relax man..."

quatttro
"but their 2nd half was by far the best of any team!"

swooop
" come on q, if you thought they could win anything with all those antique pitchers you must be cracked...at least thats the last we'll see of clemens..that old fraud..."

then the session ended ...
now the counselor is destined to go and visit marley man next...
mm, what is yr address?

thanks to serotta for providing this counseling to try to get its members through a tough time...

Delpo
10-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Brilliant...

Delpo

ergott
10-09-2007, 07:29 AM
They were in the now (up until this series). Best team in baseball after they got themselves together in the early season.

Anyone who says A-Rod must go, let me stop you now. If it weren't for that guy, they would not have been in the playoffs. Sure he's a ghost at the plate in Oct. Perhaps they should use him to get into the playoffs and then give him the rest of the year off.

It's a bitter pill to see that much potential crumble. The Yanks lost to themselves. It didn't matter who the other team was. Sure Cleveland played like champs, but they played a sad caricature of what that team is supposed to look like and did for most of the season. Anyone who actually watched them play during the season knows what I'm talking about.

Wong was the biggest disappointment of the series. I mean come on, he won 19 games and let up 9 HRs in like 200 innings. What the hell happened to him!!??

Enough for now.

stevep
10-09-2007, 07:45 AM
ergott,
whats yr address?
i'll see that the counselor gets there when he finishes with his current list of 9 million disillusioned fans.
cleveland, yet!

William
10-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Yankees? Whatz dat?

William ;)

mschol17
10-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Usually, pitching wins in the postseason. Carmona and Sabathia were really tough.

Yankee dynasty, au revoir...

ergott
10-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Disillusioned about what? When do they play Boston?

rdparadise
10-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I was watching last night hoping for a Yankees comback. Now Sabathia will start in Boston game 1. It would have been nice for the Sox to not see him until later.

I have a lot of respect for the Yankees. They started weakly, however, once the ship was righted, they were the best team in the game. Look at the run they made at the Sox in September, almost catching them in the last week. I thought for sure they would do some damage in the playoffs.

Bob

Delpo
10-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I was watching last night hoping for a Yankees comback. Now Sabathia will start in Boston game 1. It would have been nice for the Sox to not see him until later.

I have a lot of respect for the Yankees. They started weakly, however, once the ship was righted, they were the best team in the game. Look at the run they made at the Sox in September, almost catching them in the last week. I thought for sure they would do some damage in the playoffs.

Bob

Basebal is like the stock market "past performance is no guarantee of future performance"

Delpo

Dave B
10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
My day began with a smile. The yanks are done. What can possibly be better???? Oh yeah the Sox are still playing.

I love how people have mentioned how the Yanks were the best team in baseball. Apparently not!

What a wonderful day....I cannot wait for Friday!

fiamme red
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Suzyn Waldman (born in Newton, Mass.), the color commentator for Yankees radio on WCBS-AM radio, was actually crying last night when she did the clubhouse report after the game. "It's the end of an era... sob... sob... sorry, I can't help getting emotional about this... sob..."

rounder
10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm bummed out. I really wanted to see the Yankees and Red Sox play. Maybe things would have been different if Cleveland hadn't turned the bugs loose in game 2.

Delpo
10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm bummed out. I really wanted to see the Yankees and Red Sox play. Maybe things would have been different if Cleveland hadn't turned the bugs loose in game 2.

Funny how the bugs did not affect Fausto Carmona.

Delpo

Climb01742
10-09-2007, 09:13 AM
a-rod puts up big numbers but i don't consider him clutch at all. though i now live in boston, i lived in nyc from '76 to '89. i loved the yankees of munson, nettles, chambliss, guidry, gossage, and even mickey rivers. so this isn't yankee hating. a-rod just fizzles in the big moments. jeter is one yankee that even red sox fans respect. a-rod hits in april and doessn't in oct.

Dave B
10-09-2007, 09:19 AM
If/when Torre goes I would imagine others bolting as well. He had mad respect from his players. I think the Yankees magic is wearing thin for some of them. Sure they are Yanks, but they do not win WS anymore.

A-Rod to Chicago, or Pinella to the Yanks? Those two are bosom buddies!

Great show by the way.

I jsut remember Schilling saying..."We don't need Clemens!"

;)

Tom
10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I have to say that, as a Sox fan, I am concerned about any team with a guy named Fausto playing for them.

Wang had to be injured. There's no way he fell apart like that for no reason, and if I remember correctly the Sox beat him unaccountably late in the year so something must have gone wrong with him.

My guess is Cleveland plays in the World Series. Don't want it to be so but reality intrudes. The Sox are due to stutter.

Dave B
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I have to say that, as a Sox fan, I am concerned about any team with a guy named Fausto playing for them.

Wang had to be injured. There's no way he fell apart like that for no reason, and if I remember correctly the Sox beat him unaccountably late in the year so something must have gone wrong with him.

My guess is Cleveland plays in the World Series. Don't want it to be so but reality intrudes. The Sox are due to stutter.

I think the TV said Wang only had 3 days rest, but Tore wanted to gamble on his type of pitching.
They did towards the end of the season with the Yanks.

I think Friday will be the best pitchers duel, but after that, Sox have em.

Sox pitching has become one of the best in teh bigs, starters and bull pen. If Gagne could become as dominant as he used to be, then no worries!

With the rest they have had Dice-K, Josh, and Schilling should be good to go. Wakefield has had his shot, Tavarez and Timlin, man, pretty solid, not to mention one of the best closers today. Pappy!

Anyway, so many of my students talk trash to me about the Yankees that today they all are eating their words!

Ihave a huge Sox flag hangin in the room and now I might make them say a pledge to that! :D

Chad Engle
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Not a huge baseball fan being stuck in the mid west. But I really wanted to see Joba Chamberlain get to pitch in the world series. How cool would that have been to go to the show your first year.

Delpo
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Not a huge baseball fan being stuck in the mid west. But I really wanted to see Joba Chamberlain get to pitch in the world series. How cool would that have been to go to the show your first year.

I am sure he is "bugged" about it too.

CD

MarleyMon
10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
then the session ended ...
now the counselor is destined to go and visit marley man next...
mm, what is yr address?

P ugnacious
U tterance
C hallenges
C olts
I ndomitability

Swoop is gonna be real busy "counsoling" in Boston well before 11/4.
At least you're not threatening to send William.

You can find me riding the Hilly Hundred near Bloomington on Sat. while my resurgent Irish take on those other pretenders
- ND 24, BC 21

stevep
10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
P ugnacious
U tterance
C hallenges
C olts
I ndomitability

Swoop is gonna be real busy "counsoling" in Boston well before 11/4.
At least you're not threatening to send William.

You can find me riding the Hilly Hundred near Bloomington on Sat. while my resurgent Irish take on those other pretenders
- ND 24, BC 21

chuck down marley man,.
ill take bc even money for $1..this is the kind of game bc could lose...against a hopeless has been team.
and in nov ill take the patriots and give you 3 points cause im a nice guy,
for another $1.

Dave B
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
You can find me riding the Hilly Hundred near Bloomington on Sat. -

Ahhh the Hilly, such a fun spectacle. Many a memories there. Should be fantastic weather. Loads of goofballs, but great times!

MarleyMon
10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
chuck down marley man,.
ill take bc even money for $1..this is the kind of game bc could lose...against a hopeless has been team.
and in nov ill take the patriots and give you 3 points cause im a nice guy,
for another $1.
Ya Mon! :beer:

ND, a has been? This year they never was! Are you paying Charlie to throw this season?
Giving points to the Colts at home, did you miss your afternoon meds? :p

Bruce K
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Sox pitching rotation announced today with some interesting changes:

Game 1: Beckett
Game 2: SCHILLING
Game 3: Matsuzaka (gives him extra rest)
Game 4: Wakefield (projected)

With the weather predictions for this weekend it is conceivable that Beckett might be able to pitch 3 games on normal rest periods.

Whatever happens, it should be quite the ALCS.

BK

stevep
10-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Ya Mon! :beer:

ND, a has been? This year they never was! Are you paying Charlie to throw this season?
Giving points to the Colts at home, did you miss your afternoon meds? :p

ok marley. im down.
you should start saving $.10 a day...
that way you will already have the money when it comes due and you wont have to borrow it from davids... his rates are very high... william collects past due accounts.

inGobwetrust
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Yeah, he pitched against Beckett! Sheesh, you guys just don't like to give credit where it's due, huh? Cleveland's pitching and timely hitting is what happened the the Yanks, get over it.........

stevep
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM

remember tom..these guys were so desparate for pitchers that they threw 20 million at clemens... who was no all star last season either...
next year he;ll be waiting tables in houston.
wang cracked.
sox are playing their best of the year.
we'll see...

Bartape1
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
There are no excuses for the way in which the Yankees lost the series, simply stated they played horrible baseball. It's too bad if your a Yankee fan and glory days if you're not. However, if I can offer any solice to my fellow NY fans, we'll be back next year. We always are. Torre or no Torre, A-Rod or not, the Yanks will be in the thick of it again next year. Many of the teams (with the exception of the Red Sox (oh it hurts) we see playing in the classic this year will simply not be there next year. So enjoy the ride Colorodo, Arizona, and Cleveland. :)

quattro
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
It's amazing, overnight I became a HUGE Clevelad Indians fan, go Tribe! I don't want to waste everyones time debating how good, no GREAT the Yankees are, so I'll leave this thread to those dreamers in Boston. My Yankees will be back next year and they will be the best team in baseball once again, no doubt in my mind. May the RS flame in four! Spring training is only five months away, can't wait. :beer:

Bruce K
10-09-2007, 06:33 PM
With a rebel yell.... she cried Mo, Mo, Mo. :D

I'm disappointed. Not surprised, but disappointed. :rolleyes:

But we still love you. :banana:

So does stevep still have to pay off, or are you buying now?

Drop by Canton Cross race the end of the month and watch us all suffer.

BK

quattro
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
So does stevep still have to pay off, or are you buying now?

BK
I've given up on stevep paying up on his debt, he can make a donation to the PMC next year. :cool:

Delpo
10-10-2007, 07:10 AM
There are no excuses for the way in which the Yankees lost the series, simply stated they played horrible baseball. It's too bad if your a Yankee fan and glory days if you're not. However, if I can offer any solice to my fellow NY fans, we'll be back next year. We always are. Torre or no Torre, A-Rod or not, the Yanks will be in the thick of it again next year. Many of the teams (with the exception of the Red Sox (oh it hurts) we see playing in the classic this year will simply not be there next year. So enjoy the ride Colorodo, Arizona, and Cleveland. :)

One dinasty ends...another begins.

Delpo

Spinner
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Indians rule!

Tom
10-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah, he pitched against Beckett! Sheesh, you guys just don't like to give credit where it's due, huh? Cleveland's pitching and timely hitting is what happened the the Yanks, get over it.........

Remember, I'm a Sox fan. The Sox never win. They lose or the other team loses. It is an immutable law of the universe.