PDA

View Full Version : Buy the best bike you can afford or... ?

scottcw
07-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Do you buy the best bike that you can afford or one that matches your skill level?

Let's say that you are a B level club rider averaging 17-18 mph on a long ride. Do you go for an Ottrott or a bike that is more suited to your riding level?

Discuss.

dbrk
07-15-2004, 09:30 AM
The amount you spend is incommensurate to both the quality of the bicycle and the joy you may experience from it. Buy something that moves your heart, fits your body, and satisfies your jones but don't think you need to spend a ransom to achieve those aims. I say with complete honesty that the bikes I own that I enjoy and love most are not the most expensive nor the ones for which I paid the most (those being two different things).

Equating expense with contentment, let alone matching abilities, is certain only to unravel any potential for real joy at all. Just one fella's opinion, of course.

dbrk

bostondrunk
07-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Get the bike that makes you the happiest and motivates you to ride the most.
And that your better half won't cut off your family jewels for buying. In fact, it may help to bring home that diamond anniversary ring for her the same day you bring home your ottrott.

scottcw
07-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Get the bike that makes you the happiest and motivates you to ride the most.
And that your better half won't cut off your family jewels for buying. In fact, it may help to bring home that diamond anniversary ring for her the same day you bring home your ottrott.

The beauty is that I have no better half, so I am the only person to consult. The downside is that the extra money between my current Legend Ti (which I am not worthy of) and an Ottrott could go toward a downpayment on a home purchase.

bostondrunk
07-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Get the Ottrott and then sell the Legend. It'll only end up costing you, what, 3-4k to upgrade?
How about forgoing the ridiculous price of an Ottrott and get any other top of the line frameset for half the price?
Heck, I think dbrk might even agree on that one (based on some of his previous posts...)

Andreu
07-15-2004, 09:44 AM
...... "some people no the price of everything but the value of nothing"

M_A_Martin
07-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Beyond your abilities. OH please.
Yes. A bike might be designed to go faster than you can, but its just a bike. It might be designed for a different riding style (in which case, don't buy it), but its just a bike. If it makes you happy and comfortable, buy it!

This year I bought a Kirk Terraplane because...well...initially because Serotta stopped making the DKS, but overall, because I needed a bike that fit. This bike will do exactly what I want it to do. And yeah, when I put it through its paces it is probably much more capable of more than I can dish out. But it is beautiful, it makes me happy and gets me out on my bike more and more. More situations, more miles, more speed. The more I ride, the better I get.

You want the OttRott? Will you be happy with it? Or will it just be another bike? If its just another bike, save your money, be happy, and ride your legend.

M_A_Martin
07-15-2004, 09:49 AM
You could get a french fit bike from a french bike guy!

FRom Wallbike.com:

Meet Gilles Berthoud!

French bike maker makes rare visit to U.S.

Gilles Berthoud makes classic French touring bikes, as well as the bags and gear that we sell here at Wallingford Bicycle Parts.

It has been the case that if you wanted a Gilles Berthoud bike you needed to make the trek to Pont de Vaux, France, so that M. Berthoud could measure you and get to know you a little. This is the only way that he can be sure that he is making the correct bike for the client.

This August you will have an opportunity to meet M. Berthoud here in the U.S. as he will be visiting New Orleans for a few days. If you would like to be measured for a custom Gilles Berthoud bicycle you can come by and M. Berthoud will consult with you about the best bike for you.

To see the range of Berthoud custom bikes you can go to his website and explore the possibilites a little.

Dealers who are interested in Berthoud products would also be most welcome.

To find out more, or make an appointment with M. Berthoud, you can send an e-mail or give us a call.

scottcw
07-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Get the Ottrott and then sell the Legend. It'll only end up costing you, what, 3-4k to upgrade?

Actually, about $2k.

tom2517
07-15-2004, 09:59 AM
The beauty is that I have no better half, so I am the only person to consult. The downside is that the extra money between my current Legend Ti (which I am not worthy of) and an Ottrott could go toward a downpayment on a home purchase.

If you like your bike and can afford it, then you are worth it.

Ozz
07-15-2004, 10:56 AM

I hate to throw cold water on your party, but financially speaking, if the desire to buy a new bike keeps you from buying a home, you better review your priorities. :no:

I mean, I luv cycling and bikes, but everyone needs a place to live and keep your bikes. Besides, in 10 years your home will probably be worth at least as much as you paid for it - probably more if you do your homework.

A new Ottrott will be worth probably 75% less than what you paid....

You also mention you don't have a "better half"...well, being financially responsible is very sexy to many women (assuming you are male).

My recommendation: Buy the house...save more money, then get a pricey bike if you still want it.

You sound like a pretty young guy..(20's??). You might want to look up the term: "compound interest"

Since you will probably end up paying for my Social Security, I want you financially healthy!!!

:beer:

bostondrunk
07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Another side to the arguement is that you should buy all your toys -before- you are locked into a relationship/family where you will no longer have any 'spare' cash!!

scottcw
07-15-2004, 11:05 AM
I hate to throw cold water on your party, but financially speaking, if the desire to buy a new bike keeps you from buying a home, you better review your priorities.

Uh, not going to keep me from buying, just able to afford less, say around $20,000 less as the $2k for the Ottrott represents 10% of the downpayment amount I would have.

You sound like a pretty young guy..(20's??). You might want to look up the term: "compound interest"

Thanks, but I am almost 40.

Ozz
07-15-2004, 11:10 AM
shows how much I know! :rolleyes:

Do what makes you happy... :beer:

BTW - What size is your Legend???

bcm119
07-15-2004, 11:21 AM
The only reason you "should" get any particular bike is fit. Other than fit, its all just what you want. Get whatever bike really excities you, as long as it fits right. There is no such thing as a "bike exceeding your skills".

I wouldn't recommend saving bike money to buy a more expensive house. I'd rather have a smaller house and a nicer bike- that way theres more incentive to get out of that small house and on the nice bike.

M_A_Martin
07-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Will you never be an "A" racer?

Why are A riders worthy of certain bikes, but not B riders or C riders?

Why do B riders have to ride "less" bike? Why does anyone?

Why would you race a really really nice bike anyhow? (with the understanding that crashes occur during races)

Why is a Legend considered "less" of a bike than an OttRott?

Why isn't the legend doing its job for you?

Why would a racer not pick the best tool for the job?

Why doesn't Serotta take applications for OttRott ownership? (If you're not worthy, you don't get to buy it?)

Curious Ginger
(Sandy doesn't seem to be around, I needed to take up the slack)

It is said: If you never go fast, you will never go fast.
Go fast!

Dekonick
07-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Just get a bike that calls to you. Who cares what it costs (my wife....) what matters is that you feel guilty if you dont go for a ride. What matters is how happy you are while out riding.

For ability buy a beer can on wheels -

for a friend buy a Serotta.

If the Ottrott calls your name - softly, 'come ride me pleeaassseeee' then get it!

I have to say that if I had a Legend that fit, and I was happy with it, I would keep riding it.

vaxn8r
07-15-2004, 02:42 PM
This is a perfect example against the old saw about ti lasts forever and CF/aluminum are "disposable". Technically that may be true. Reality is that everyone wants new bikes every so often.

My advice is never go into a bike purchase thinking this will absolutely be the last bike you'll ever buy. Unless your screen name is Froze (I mean no offense....actually impressed you ride that old Trek) you will be buying a new bike every 3-6 years. That's reality. Disposable or not. Factor that into your decision.

defenestrator
07-15-2004, 02:46 PM
it really doesn't matter what you ride; people make entirely too much of this "which bike is really for me?" hoo-ha. if your contact points are good, and the fit is close, then you're right as rain. ask sean kelly about bike fit sometime.

abqhudson
07-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Would this mean that just because I can't drive like Michael Schumacher that I can't want/lust after/buy a Porsche?

Jim

M_A_Martin
07-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Jim,
There's now a driving test required to purchase a Porsche. It happens only once a year at four select road courses in mountain regions across the globe. None in the US. Porsche formerly provided vehicles, however it regrets that there were too many failures for them to continue that practice. You will be using your own current vehicle, so plan to ship it overseas to arrive before your test date.

There is a waiting list.

Peter
07-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Buy the bike that you can afford to maintain.
Being able to afford a new bike, and being able to afford to maintain that bike, are two different things.

At least buy a bike you are technically capable of wrenching on yourself; at least with regard to basic repairs. For instance; if you buy a bike with an expensive, superlight stem that requires a torque wrench and a specific torque sequence and you lack the technical knowledge, tools, or skills to adjust and maintain it, then I think it is foolish to own such a part/bike. You would be better served with a simpler, less expensive bike than can withstand a cyclist with lesser knowledge, mechanical skills, and a ham-fisted wrench.

Should you buy a bike with tubulars when you lack the skill to install or maintain them? Your bike may spend more time in the shop than on the road.

So yes, to some extent you should buy the bike which matches your abilities. There are bikes of all price points which can fit a rider, so that is not as much of a key factor as you might think it is.

scottcw
07-15-2004, 08:38 PM
BTW - What size is your Legend???

58 cm c-c ST.

scottcw
07-15-2004, 09:11 PM
BTW - the thought process behind my post was this... back when I could spin up Hwy. 9 with little effort, I would shoot past these older riders who were obviously dying riding these expensive bikes and think, "why?" I would also get dropped every once in a while by young bucks riding beaters and it was my turn to feel foolish that I was riding such a nice bike when what I should have been focusing on was my conditioning and technique. It's like a hack guitar player with a $3k guitar.

That said, I am buying the Ottrott. What do I care what other riders think as long as I am happy?

Dr. Doofus
07-15-2004, 09:21 PM
You've got it scott...

like others have said, and better than I or he or the mouse can say, its all about your own happy consumer desire. What makes you want to ride? ****, they're all commodities anyway...it isn't like there is some Solomon of bikes dispensing Confentes to those who are worthy and rebar hulks to those who are not....

i had the chance for the ottrot..."working" for in-store credit that got converted into parts and frames at the usual shop slave rate...in short, that was the *only* chance this teacher will have at getting his and my fiesty little mitts on an ottrot...we even filled out the sheet...then changed our mind to the legend...and then again to the CSi, simply because lugs say "ride me" to the doc...which is why the doc races a corsa (and gets some interesting looks in the process)....

buy what makes you happy

screw everyone else

and what i really need re two more CSis, damnit...a sloping filet-brazed number, and a fixie with a steel fork and nitto bar/stem...now if he and I can just rob that bank....

M_A_Martin
07-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Buy the Bike Buy the Bike Buy the Bike! YAY!

Ginger

You know Scott, whenever we were out zipping along and passed one of those outta shape guys on the expensive bike and someone in the crowd made a comment about how the guy shouldn't be on that bike? The common response was:
At least he's riding!

Hard Fit
07-15-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm with Ozz on this one. Buy the biggest, most expensive house you can afford now. Later down the road, you will not regret it. The money you will bank later in life will dwarf the money you are talking about now for a bike.

Dekonick
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
I say the guy who has the expensive bike - no matter the condition of the rider - is they guy with the funds to buy it. If that same rider starts out an overweight sloth who is to say that in a year they wont be kicking yer arse in the hills?

I say ride!

I say ride something that gives you pleasure!

I say ride a Serotta!

Michael Katz
07-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Don't feel guilty about buying the Ottrott if that's want you want. I have a Spectrum Superlight, a wonderful splendid bike. I test rode an Ottrott ST and came back from the ride grinning from ear to ear and wanting one in the worst way. I agonized over the conspicuous excess of buying one. My wife, who does not ride, put it all in perspective. She asked 4 questions: Did the Ottrott wow me, did I want it, would I ride the hell out of it and which would be cheaper - a year of psychotherapy or the frame. When I answered yes, yes, yes and the latter, her response was "then stop screwing around and buy the damn thing - be happy". I did and have no regrets. If in your priorities you can afford to do it and it will contribute to your enjoyment of riding and you want it, then do it. Everything else is irrelevent.

eddief
07-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Do you think its ok with your wife if I buy the beautiful carbon rear ended Landshark in the window of my local shop? What a beauty it was. All painty and filleted and tall headtube.

Michael Katz
07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
eddief, I asked her, she said go for it, but you'll have to use your own credit card - mine's tapped out! :banana:

scottcw
07-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, after sleeping on it, I am sticking with the Legend Ti. The only justification I can come up with for buying the Ottrott is that it might relieve some of the sciatic pain from a non-cycling related back injury. That $2k that I will save represents about $20k more that I can afford in a co-op. Here in NYC, that can be the difference between a nice neighborhood and hearing gunplay at night.

Ozz
07-16-2004, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes:

Your Legend was too small for me anyway :)

Besides, it's not like Ben is going to stop making bikes anytime soon. It will give you something to look forward too! I bought my "last" bike last year, and am already trying to figure out what my next one will be...

Good luck with the house hunting.

BTW - good luck with your sciatica...I got it bad a couple years ago and had to go with some epidural cortisone injections (two rounds). I still feel twinges if I don't work on my flexibility enough.