PDA

View Full Version : Sandy and Gloria

RABikes2
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I decided to post this news. So many of us are friends with Sandy and Gloria. I received an e-mail from Sandy two hours ago. His wonderful, sweet wife, Gloria, had a bad accident at home last night and is in the hospital. Sandy is with her and God willing, she'll be okay, but right now she's hurting; she has quite a few injuries. Please send good wishes and emotional support to Sandy and Gloria. I'm sure it'll give them great comfort to know their friends on the forum are praying for them and sending get well wishes.

Thanks.
RA

Your_Friend!
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Sandy,

I Send You Love

You Are Nice

I Hope For The

_Speediest_ Recovery

For Your Wife

Y_F

Fixed
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
i''ll say a prayer for Gloria and Sandy .
butch

Samster
10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Hope everything works out OK Sandy and Gloria. Pain sucks. Best wishes,

72gmc
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Thinking of you and Gloria, Sandy.

PBWrench
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
refuah sheleyma

Ginger
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Sandy,
My heart is with you and Gloria, I hope everything works out for the best.
Mary Ann

SoCalSteve
10-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Our heartfelt well wishes and prayers go out to Gloria and you Sandy...

Sherry and Steve

Steve Hampsten
10-07-2007, 11:37 PM
sincerely sending solace

steve

djg
10-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Sandy, you and your wife are in our thoughts.

DRZRM
10-08-2007, 01:03 AM
So sorry to hear about the accident, you are both in our thoughts.

Speediest recovery,

Zach

soulspinner
10-08-2007, 04:48 AM
God healing speed....

Ray
10-08-2007, 04:50 AM
Feel better SOON Gloria!
And hang in there Sandy.

-Ray

Gothard
10-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Get well soon!

Johny
10-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Sandy and Gloria,

You are in our prayers.

John

Climb01742
10-08-2007, 05:21 AM
your friends here care, sand-man.

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2007, 06:27 AM
This is awful! You and Gloria are wonderful to me and you are wonderful for each other. I'm so sorry about whatever has happened and you both will be in my heart and prayers as you go through a difficult time!

BBD

CNY rider
10-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Sandy you are a pal to all of us here, and we will all be thinking of you and Gloria.
Hopes for a speedy recovery.

Eric B

Elefantino
10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Ditto what has been said. Prayers and best wishes go out to you both.

Mike

SPOKE
10-08-2007, 07:37 AM
hi Sandy,
i'm very sorry to here about Gloria's accident. i certainly hope and pray that she has a very rapid recovery.

Dave B
10-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Sandy my dear friend, please let us know if there is anything we can do. I truly hope Gloria recovers quickly and that both of you know you are in our prayers!

Tom
10-08-2007, 07:48 AM
You have this strange group of people sending you what strength we can, I hope that it helps you and helps Gloria recover.

I hope that healing is fast.

ClutchCargo
10-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Sandy -- hoping all the good karma that you have generated here on the forum comes back to you and Gloria in the form of her speedy and full recovery.

all the best,
JH

barry1021
10-08-2007, 07:58 AM
from Mass., Sandy

B21

Marco
10-08-2007, 08:05 AM
speedy and full recovery....

cs124
10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery.

Kevan
10-08-2007, 08:32 AM
An email has been sent.

Your pal,

Kevan

davep
10-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

hypnos
10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Hope nothing too serious. I wish Gloria a full and speedy recovery. Keep us informed.

Jeff

davids
10-08-2007, 11:44 AM
...a restoration of body and spirit. Sandy, we wish your wife and you all the best. A quick and full recovery!

Len J
10-08-2007, 12:39 PM
...a restoration of body and spirit. Sandy, we wish your wife and you all the best. A quick and full recovery!
Thoughts and prayers with you & Gloria.

len

jeffg
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Jeff, Jean, Owen & Liam

Bruce K
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

BK

Smiley
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Surgery is scheduled for 4:30 pm today and she is scheduled to be in for about three hours. She is under excellent care and the prognosis is very good. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery for Gloria.

Tom Byrnes
10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Sandy,

I am very sorry to hear about Gloria's accident. My prayers and thoughts are with both of you for Gloria's fast and complete recovery.

Your pal,

Tom

shinomaster
10-08-2007, 01:19 PM
My thoughts are with you and Gloria Sandy!! :)

Dekonick
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Smiley - thanks for the update.

Sandy + Gloria - wishing a speedy recovery.

GD2002
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Surgery is scheduled for 4:30 pm today and she is scheduled to be in for about three hours. She is under excellent care and the prognosis is very good. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery for Gloria.

Thanks so much for the update, and keep us posted!

BBD

mikemets
10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
hope that by the time you're reading this thread things are much better.

Delpo
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
May Gloria get better soon and may your faith give you strength through these trying times. The climb will be over soon...

Best wishes.

Familia Delpin
San Juan , PR

old_school
10-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Best wishes always ...

Mark

weisan
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
sandy-pal, praying for you and your bride. She's your priority.

dbrk
10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Godspeed. Sending our concerns and affections. yr own, dbrk

justinf
10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Our prayers are with you and your family Sandy.

Karin Kirk
10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Hang in there Sandy and Gloria! I hope that the worst is over and things are improving now. I also hope she's in good hands and is getting excellent care.

RA, thanks for letting the 'extended family' know.

-Karin

Don
10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Sandy,

Wishing Gloria a speedy recovery. Best to both of you.

Don

Louis
10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Sandy,

I hope Gloria is improving. She will be in our thoughts.

Louis

abqhudson
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Sandy/Gloria - we wish you both the very best - our prayers are with you.

Jim/Sandy

Ahneida Ride
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Sandy

God Bless,

rwsaunders
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Sandy -- hoping all the good karma that you have generated here on the forum comes back to you and Gloria in the form of her speedy and full recovery.

I can't put it any better form. God speed.

chuckroast
10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Sandy, you and your bride are in our thoughts and prayers. Forum power is on your side. All the best,

wooly
10-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Sandy - All the best to you and Gloria. Prayers.

93legendti
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Sandy - All the best to you and Gloria. Prayers.

Same here. Please keep us posted.

hansolo758
10-09-2007, 12:57 AM
and your wife speedy recovery.

DarrenCT
10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
hoping all is well....

RABikes2
10-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Sorry, no news yet on Gloria's surgery. I called Sandy and Gloria's home earlier today and left a message. Hopefully somebody will hear something soon.
RA

cadence90
10-09-2007, 02:18 AM
I echo the positive sentiments expressed here.

William
10-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Sandy,

The William House sends best wishes for a speedy, healthy recovery. We're thinking of you both.

William

Dave B
10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have any updates?

I have been thinking about them, but obviously have not heard.

Does anyone have Sandy's number..could you PM me if you do.

Thanks

RABikes2
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone have any updates?

I have been thinking about them, but obviously have not heard.

Does anyone have Sandy's number..could you PM me if you do.

Thanks
Again, sorry no news. Sandy's answering machine was max'ed out when I tried this a.m.
RA

Smiley
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I spoke to Sandy this morning and told him of this thread and I have asked him to respond to it since all are concerned. Gloria is in GREAT hands and all is well from what he has told me. I will defer to Sandy logging on and doing the whole story.

Dave B
10-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Thank you!

I am glad to hear things are looking forward. Sandy is a great man and all great men are this way due to even better women. I imagine Gloria is such a woman!

Glad to hear things are getting better.

RABikes2
10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Thank you for the update Smiley! ;)
RA

Dekonick
10-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the update -

I didn't call Sandy cuz I figured he was getting swamped...

Either that or Kevin has been filling his answering machine with prank calls... :rolleyes:

Sandy - hope Gloria is well.
Gloria - we KNOW Sandy isn't well... :D

Sandy
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't know how to respond here, with the unbelievable kindness and concern from those of you on the forum. I found out about the thread from Smiley. I took Gloria to the hospital Satrday at 2:30 AM and have slept there each night and this is the first opportunity to respon in the thread. I am going to get a few things and go back to the hospital for the night. She will be coming home tomorrow.

Here is what happened: The accident was in our home. Gloria was walking around the house which was almost completely dark. She did not want to wake up her brother who lives with us and was asleep on the sofa on the first floor, so she did not turn on any lights- something which I have told her about in the past. She had checked to be sure that the front door was locked, and she remembers that she was planning to go upstairs and go to bed.

She was found by my brother-in-law screaming at the bottom of the steps going downstairs. We think that she fell down the 6 steps, instead of climbing up the other steps to the top floor. She broke her nose, broke the orbital bone of her left eye, broke the radius bone in her right arm, broke the radius bone in her left arm, had bruises and surface cuts on her face, and a minor scrape on a knee. We were concerned that she may have broken the C2 cervical bone in her neck which could have made the other injuries seem insignificant, to say the least. Fortunately, she did not.

She had a plate and screws put into the radius of her left arm, pins put into the radius of her right arm (trauma orthopedic surgeon), her nose fixed (plastic surgeon), and nothing done to the orbital bone as it was determined that it would heal ok.

The complete recovery process will be up to a year for her arm fractures, which will necessitate different types of arm coverings and casts. She will start physical therapy in about 6 weeks after casts are removed. Presently, she is unable to do anything for herself, because of the breaks in the radius bones which are the bones in each arm that terminate at the thumb by the wrist. It is too painful to pick up anything (can't support the weight and hurts too much), and hence I have had to feed her and even help her in the bathroom. Gloria has been an absolutely remarkable patient, and I am very proud of her. I will be spending most of my time for the next several months taking care of her.

Bless you all for your replies in the thread...brought tears to my eyes...which rarely happens to me.

Serotta gave me two great bikes...but much more importantly, Serotta allowed me to somehow interact with the wonderful women and men on this forum....no matter what anyone says...it is clear to me....those who reside/frequent this place are as special as they come....very much so. Bless you all. As soon as Gloria is able, I will sit her down in the chair in front of the computer and show her this thread. It will mean a great deal to her.

Sandy

1centaur
10-09-2007, 07:29 PM
If I had to nominate anyone on this forum to do the duty (and I am sure you feel otherwise about it) that has been given you, it would have been you. You have a tremendous heart, which is evident in so many things you write.

That indeed sounds like a horrendous accident. A year or so of therapy and a lifetime of fun at the airport screening devices await.

My best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible. Will your wife enjoy you pedaling your soon to be acquired Computrainer at her side for the next 12 months? :)

Smiley
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Wishing Gloria a speedy recovery from the Captain's Household including Blizzard and Hope.

djg
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Sandy, that's terrible news, but given the fall I'm very glad to hear that your wife was not even more seriously injured. I don't know what I can do, but I'm a tolerably good cook. If you PM your address and let me know when you and she will be at home, I'd be glad to try to drop off a couple of meals if that would make some of the little things easier. All the best wishes to both of you.

Len J
10-09-2007, 07:37 PM
sounds terrible & it could have been worse.

Remember, sometimes the best thing we can do for those we Love is to take care of ourselves.........Balance, man, balance.

Ella & I send our love to you & Gloria.

Len

Fixed
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
bro she's in good hands ..speedy recovery gloria .
cheers you'll feel better when you get home i bet
butch

rhmiller
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
and lots of strength to both of you during her healing.

Ralph

csm
10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
it goes without saying but... if there's anything you need, just ask...

tch
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
If I had to nominate anyone on this forum to do the duty (and I am sure you feel otherwise about it) that has been given you, it would have been you. You have a tremendous heart, which is evident in so many things you write.

I second that. If there is anyone who personifies the title of Mensch of the Forum, it is you. Best of luck to you both.

Lifelover
10-09-2007, 10:00 PM
That Sucks!

I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Get her cuddled up to a dog as soon as you can.

Louis
10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Sandy,

It's great to hear that Gloria is on the path to recovery and reassuring that she'll soon be up and around, without any leg / hip issues. I'm sure that will help keep her spirits up. She could not have a better partner to help her through this. We know that you'll be busy, but don't be a stranger.

Louis

Ginger
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Sandy,
Once she's less bruised, give Gloria a hug for me. I'm glad to hear it wasn't even more serious.

Mary Ann

thwart
10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Relieved to hear it wasn't anything more serious.

I sincerely hope that the recovery goes by quickly. Hang in there.

oldmill
10-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Great to hear she's on her way to recovery. Take care

gt6267a
10-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad to know she will be alright. From my little experience taking care of someone, I know it is rewarding but also sometimes challenging / tiring / pick-some-similar-word … good luck to both of you the next few months and when you need a release after one of those days … we’re here.

Delpo
10-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Sandy:

I am going through a similar situation with my wife through which I have had to pretty much take care of her, the house, our son, the business and our great dane my myself. At the beginning of the situation I stopped riding. Soon enough I found that in order for me to be there for her I needed to be there for myself too. After the first two weeks I found help from my family and was able to carve out some riding time. The balance attained has helped me be more present and more kind. My 2 cents. Best wishes to you both.

Familia Delpin
San Juan, PR

Dave B
10-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Sandy:

I am going through a similar situation with my wife through which I have had to pretty much take care of her, the house, our son, the business and our great dane my myself. At the beginning of the situation I stopped riding. Soon enough I found that in order for me to be there for her I needed to be there for myself too. After the first two weeks I found help from my family and was able to carve out some riding time. The balance attained has helped me be more present and more kind. My 2 cents. Best wishes to you both.

Familia Delpin
San Juan, PR

I cannot tell you how wise this is. also went through a situation where my daughter was born and a week later Jaime went into a coma. Taking care of everythign was terribly difficult until I began to let others help. Took me 6 weeks to get back on a bike as I felt guilty. Once I did it was a way to escape from responsibility even if for an hour. allowed me to help with a refreshed attitude. None of this says anything about your love and commitment to Gloria as they are unrelated.

Plus Sandy my friend, you have to give Gloria a break from you as well! :D

OldDog
10-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I am so sorry to read of Gloria's accident. We will pray for her speedy recovery. God bless.

OD

Fixed
10-10-2007, 08:38 AM
bro sandy she will get better and you 2 will be closer than you already are imho love flows when this stuff happens
cheers

Kevan
10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
you can stop taking care of me and turn your attention to Gloria instead.

It is sad to read how horrible the accident was, but on the other hand I am so pleased too that you're there taking such good care of her.

Look, I'll miss your heavy breathing on the telephone, your nose prints on our bedroom windows, the boxes of chocolates left in our mailbox, already eaten. But that's okay...I'll be okay knowing you're doing the best thing, taking good care of your Gloria.

You two... be well.

Dave B
10-10-2007, 09:39 AM

It is sad to read how horrible the accident was, but on the other hand I am so pleased too that you're there taking such good care of her.

Look, I'll miss your heavy breathing on the telephone, your nose prints on our bedroom windows, the boxes of chocolates left in our mailbox, already eaten. But that's okay...I'll be okay knowing you're doing the best thing, taking good care of your Gloria.

You two... be well.

Sorry about the chocolates. :D

JonnyComeLately
10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Get well soon, Gloria! Both of you, be well.

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM

You two... be well.

Those were not Sandy's nose prints on your window!

Please consider moving your bedroom to the first floor. My ladder is old and rickety and I don't want to buy a new one! ;) :rolleyes:

BBD

RABikes2
10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
So wonderful to read that Gloria is coming home with you today, Sandy. Please know you both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending only positive energy your way!

Big hugs to Gloria and you (soft ones for Gloria),

RA

Sandy
10-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Gloria is home. The first thing I did was take her upstairs and before she lied down to rest, I had her sit in the chair, I am in now, and showed her this thread. She was tired, but read a good number of the posts and truly appreciated your kind thoughts.

Thanks again for your remarkable kindness and concern extended to my wife and myself. She will do fine, just a long recovery process. I am most fortunate that I am retired, as that makes giving her care so much easier. She is an excellent patient. Hopefully, she will not try to do things that are unsafe for her to do.

Nurse Sandy

mikemets
10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
I just pictured you in a nurse's uniform, thanks, now I have to go change my shirt ;)

Kevan
10-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I just pictured you in a nurse's uniform, thanks, now I have to go change my shirt ;)

he doesn't look half-bad, dressed in his...her...his whites.

He has such a nice bedside manner too. Well, until he starts asking me to play doctor with him.

Oh boy, the nightmares are going to return tonight.

Sandy
10-11-2007, 10:02 AM
he doesn't look half-bad, dressed in his...her...his whites.

He has such a nice bedside manner too. Well, until he starts asking me to play doctor with him.

Oh boy, the nightmares are going to return tonight.

Yeah, I wanted to be a psychiatrist and examine you.....but you wanted to be a proctologist and examine me....now I want to be a peregrine falcon and get out of town real fast....as in Supersonic Speedy Serotta Sandy fast..... :rolleyes: :)

Soaring Speedily Scared Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
. . . Well, until he starts asking me to play doctor with him. . . .

Would you please STOP stoking mental images like this? :butt:

If you keep doing this, I am certain there are many forum members who are going to start injuring themselves on purpose! :eek: ;)

BBD

Kevan
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
started it!

RABikes2
10-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey Sandy,

We're still thinking of you both; wondering how Gloria is doing and hoping there has been some improvement this week.

Hope you are well, too!

RA

Sandy
10-14-2007, 01:49 PM
RA,

You are the definition of friendship and caring concern for people. Gloria is still in substantial pain- in the wrist area of both arms. She can move her fingers and arms a little better, but cannot do any of the basics- such as feeding herself, going to the bathroom, writing....The phsical therapist and occupational therapist are coming in on Monday and she has doctor appointments next week. Her blood pressure has been high, and that is very abnormal for her.

Thank you and all of the others for your most kind and genuine inquiries. There is goodness in the world.....some of it resides in the Serotta Forum.

Super Nurse Supersonic Speedy Snail Slow Simple Serotta Sandy

Hey Sandy,

We're still thinking of you both; wondering how Gloria is doing and hoping there has been some improvement this week.

Hope you are well, too!

RA

Sandy
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to give a sincere thank you to those of you who posted on this forum in such a genuine and caring manner and those who have continued to inquire about Gloria. I realize that although it has been difficult for her, Gloria's accident pales to what many people suffer. She is doing much better and is now able to eat by herself and do a lot of those simple things that we simply take for granted. She had a procedure done Tuesday at a surgical center to manipulate one of her wrists to straighten it out. She now has her second set of casts for each arm/wrist. She will have one for 3 weeks and one for 2 weeks and then to physical therapy. I am the chauffeur for many weeks/months to come, I believe.

You dudes and dudettes are the best!

Sincere Sandy

PBWrench
11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
For your chauffering duties, perhaps a custom serotta tandem (or side car) is in order. Wishing your wife a speedy and complete recovery, refuah shlema.

PBWrench
11-08-2007, 08:24 AM

Sandy
11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Not sure if I will be comfortable enough in that side car, and if Gloria can even hold on to the handlebars of the bike well enough to steer it, as I sleep. :) :)

:banana: Sleeping Snoring Serotta Sandy :banana:

Kevan
11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
let's give Gloria a fighting chance.

Glad all is on the mend Sandy.

Sandy
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
let's give Gloria a fighting chance.

Glad all is on the mend Sandy.

Thanks friend for life (scarey ring to that, huh? :rolleyes: ). One of the surgeons, who operated on Gloria, has requested doing a brain replacement surgery on me. For some strange reason, he thinks that I could use one. What do you think? Would it help? :)

Sturgeon Surgeon Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks friend for life (scarey ring to that, huh? :rolleyes: ). One of the surgeons, who operated on Gloria, has requested doing a brain replacement surgery on me. For some strange reason, he thinks that I could use one. What do you think? Would it help? :)

Sturgeon Surgeon Sandy

. . . could be the donor?

BBD

Kevan
11-08-2007, 08:55 AM

Sturgeon Surgeon Sandy

such a hostil environment as it is, nothing's been growing there for years. Good luck with that.

Kevan
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM

BBD

worthy causes.

Sandy
11-08-2007, 09:00 AM

BBD

It would never ever work. The surgeon said that he set aside 20-25 hours for the total brain replacement surgery. I would think that it would take almost the full 20-25 hours for the surgeon to locate Kevan's brain and hence there would be no time to do the replacement. ;) :)

Pea Brain Sandy

Kevan
11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
My left foot.

Bud
11-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Sandy-

I hope Gloria is doing well...

somehow I missed this thread first time around.