PDA

View Full Version : DAVIS PHINNEY Interview (I)

Johny
07-14-2004, 10:05 PM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2423

While you are there, also check this: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/cgi/gallerypicget.asp?pic=http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/fans/tdf04-orbea.jpg :D

RABikes2
07-15-2004, 12:27 AM
That was a great interview with Davis. Thanks for sharing. I hope to meet Davis and Connie someday; they were a huge part of opening the doors to American cycling. :)

I'm cycling Boston-Montreal-Boston 2004, August 19-22. It's a distance of 750 miles that I will cover in under 90 hours. I am honored to be raising donations for the Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson's Disease and Wellness. Please take a moment to read below; many thanks to all for your support! :)
Dear friends, family, and fellow athletes,

As you well know, I am a cycling nut. Actually I'm a nut and a cyclist. Well, I have really done it this time. On August 19-22, 2004, I will ride Boston-Montreal-Boston, the premier American 1200 kilometers Randonnee (a timed, distance bicycle ride). The 1200 kilometers or 750 miles, if you prefer, will take me from Boston, Massachusetts to Montreal, Canada and back to Boston. It will take approximately 90 hours of riding and will involve me in new cycling challenges. I will be testing myself against serious downhill grades and distances I have not experienced before in my rides. I am very excited about this challenge and opportunity. But these challenges are nothing compared to the second challenge I want to bring to your attention.

I have a second challenge which I have accepted and for this one I need your active support. I have decided to dedicate my ride to furthering the aims of a newly-formed cycling partner-the Davis Phinney Foundation. The Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson's Disease Research and Wellness is an Ohio based, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, dedicated to supporting research to better understand, prevent and treat Parkinson's disease. One of its goals is to improve the lives of those who currently suffer from the disease. One of American Cycling's best is affected by this disease.

Davis Phinney, 44, is recognized as the winningest cyclist in U.S. cycling history. He has over 300 national and international victories. Davis was the first American ever to win a road stage in the Tour de France. American cycling is literally built on the back of this wonderful American. Davis is married to a fellow cyclist, Connie Carpenter. Connie is the 1984 Olympic Road Cycling Champion. They have two children. Both Davis and Connie remain very active in American cycling.

In 2000, Davis underwent exhaustive testing which revealed that he had Parkinson's disease. More than one million Americans live with this deadly disease. The disease is a degenerative neurological disorder affecting the death of dopamine-producing cells in the brain. Like Davis, approximately 5% of the patients are 40 years old or younger when the disease first appears. At this time there is no cure, nor does science understand how to slow or halt the progress of the disease. Over time the disease robs those affected of their capacities to move or speak.

Davis has assumed an important spokesman role for the new Foundation. Inspired by Davis's leadership, I have joined with the Foundation to raise funds for this critical new initiative. And I need and want your help. It is my goal to make the Boston-Montreal-Boston ride the fulfillment of a personal challenge as a rider and the fulfillment of a service challenge as a fund raiser. This second challenge is new for me. I want to raise money for the Davis Phinney Foundation to support their important work. It is altogether fitting and proper that one cyclist should seek to serve this noble cause by riding one of America's and the world's most challenging rides-the Boston-Montreal-Boston Randonnee.

Please support my ride and the Davis Phinney Foundation with a generous donation. I would appreciate donations of $1.00 per mile ($750); $0.50 per mile ($375); $0.25 per mile ($187.50); or, if you prefer, $1.00 per each two kilometers ($600) and etc. Whatever amount you are able to contribute will be greatly appreciated and gratefully accepted. All contributions are tax deductible. For my part on this ride, I will represent you and all the Parkinson's disease sufferers we will help. Please let me know how you want to help. Make checks payable to: The Davis Phinney Foundation.

Thank you for supporting me and this wonderful cause.

Regards,

Ritaann (RA) Becker, LMT
Ultra Endurance Cyclist
Davis Phinney Foundation

Thank you for your donations.
Please make checks out to: The Davis Phinney Foundation.
Please drop-off or mail your donation to:

Sunshine Cycles
Attn: RA-BMB
2783 Capital Circle NE
Tallahassee, FL 32308

850-422-1075

If you are unable to make a donation, I only ask that you "donate" some of your daily thoughts and prayers to the safety of the BMB riders and for the endurance that we will need to complete the ride.

Again, thank you for your support!

RA