PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

Bittersweet
10-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I know some people feel like helmets are like saddles and a very personal fit thing. Not so much for me. I've had a few helmets over the years. All seem to fit OK. I hate them frankly and don't ride with them a lot of the time, except for the MTB where I've always worn one.

Autumn for me means riding the MTB some so I went out with some friends this AM and was both lucky and unlucky at the same time. I had a low speed catch of my big ring on a very large downed tree. I slow motion endo-ed and slammed down into the ground. Idiot move. Neck crunched a lot. Right arm went numb for a bit but I shook it off and pedaled for another hour. Bad headache, nausea, and all the minor concussion effects ensued. Rug burn like mark on my forehead from the helmet pads. Long story short is my Limar helmet is badly cracked all the way through.

What helmets do folks like? Not too expensive, low profile, light weight, good vents. Who has a deal right now?

Thanks,

Ahneida Ride
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Bell Metro is the one for me !!! Orange of course !!! ! :p

regularguy412
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
IMHO, helmets are not the place to skimp. I've been on my head enough times that I was glad I had mine on. As far as safety goes, all helmets have to pass the same ANSI or Snell testing. It really comes down to personal preference and comfort -- well, I guess 'price', too.

I personally like the Giro Atmos. Got mine on 'sale' this year from Performance @ $134.00 plus shipping. The Giro Pneumo is a good helmet and can be usually be had for around $109.00. Both seem to vent well and are light. You can opt for the cheaper versions around $40.00, but you usually pay a weight and comfort penalty.

If you really wanna go high-bling, Specialized has a brand new S-Works helmet out for $220.00. Full carbon fiber net-frame inside the foam. Absolutely the lightest helmet I've ever put on my head, and comfortable, too. For the approx. 2 oz. weight savings, I'll stick with my '06 Atmos. The S-Works sure is a nice piece, tho.

Mike in AR

Spinner
10-08-2007, 07:23 AM
cool and comfortable. can't imagine being on a mtb without a helmet. i've been whacked by grabby trees more than once, in fact at least once on some rides.

Fixed
10-08-2007, 08:01 AM
cycling cap
cheers

thwart
10-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Vote for Pneumo ...
Yup. Broke one on a crash earlier this year, and bought another (although the Bell Ghisallo is a great helmet also at a little lower price...).

Chris
10-08-2007, 08:30 AM
The Bell Sweep R is the best helmet I have ever worn. For my head ATMO.

BumpyintheBurgh
10-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Low profile...Catlike Kompact

Kevan
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Ghisallo.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/50030/

rinconryder
10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
The Bell Sweep R is the best helmet I have ever worn. For my head ATMO.

+1 - Can't seem to get as comfortable in the Giro as I can a Bell. I think they just have different shapes.

alancw3
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
trek anthem! light with great great ventillation. i have been very happy with this helmut. no bling if that is what you are looking for. one year free replacement for any falls.

93legendti
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I know some people feel like helmets are like saddles and a very personal fit thing. Not so much for me. I've had a few helmets over the years. All seem to fit OK. I hate them frankly and don't ride with them a lot of the time, except for the MTB where I've always worn one.

Autumn for me means riding the MTB some so I went out with some friends this AM and was both lucky and unlucky at the same time. I had a low speed catch of my big ring on a very large downed tree. I slow motion endo-ed and slammed down into the ground. Idiot move. Neck crunched a lot. Right arm went numb for a bit but I shook it off and pedaled for another hour. Bad headache, nausea, and all the minor concussion effects ensued. Rug burn like mark on my forehead from the helmet pads. Long story short is my Limar helmet is badly cracked all the way through.

What helmets do folks like? Not too expensive, low profile, light weight, good vents. Who has a deal right now?

Thanks,

The helmet did its job. By the same model/make.

SadieKate
10-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Just like bikes, you have to find the right fit. As far as I am concerned, Bell must have made the mold for the Sweep/Sweep R using my head. I've never had such perfectly fitting and comfortable helmets. I like the knob at the back to tighten the helmet as I can use it on the fly to accomodate wearing a Buff or ear band or just newly shorn hair.

Some brands tend to fit long and narrow heads, others round heads, some pinheads (yeah, me). Any way, look for fit. As far as how much you need to spend, read this article. The more you spend the more vents and less weight but the same standards must be met by all.

http://www.helmets.org/helmet07.htm

CNY rider
10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Both made by the same company, but with distinctive shapes.
I have a Bell shaped head. Their models fit me really well.
Giro bike helmets and ski helmets seem to be narrower up at the top of the helmet and I find them uncomfortable.
Most will have a preference for one or the other, but will not find both to be comfortable.
Good hunting!

rwsaunders
10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I know it's sentimental, but I could be tempted to part with my V-1 Pro, if you're really in a fix.

dauwhe
10-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I find I much prefer low-end helmets to the expensive ones. My cheap Bell fits very well.

Dave

Bittersweet
10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I know it's sentimental, but I could be tempted to part with my V-1 Pro, if you're really in a fix.

You reminded me that I still have my Brancale in the garage from back in the early 80s. Who needs new when I've got that.

davids
10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Giros fit my head. I've got an Eclipse that's ending its useful life after 4 years and several sets of pads.

All helmets sold in the USA meet ANSI safety standards - All should be safe enough. I think what the extra bucks buy you is increased ventilation and (maybe) style. I'm looking for another Eclipse, or maybe a Pneumo.

DarrenCT
10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
i have that new specialized m2 helmet and its very comfy. fits better than my atmos becuz of that neat inner cage system.

its also very light.

i recommend it for sure.

-d

Spinner
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
of all my old helmets, beginning with the V-1 Pro. The improvements in comfort have been dramatic.

I Want Sachs?
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Giro Xen. As someone mentioned, this is no place to skimp. The reason I like Xen is that it gives slightly more coverage in the rear than Atmos or Pneumo. I crashed on the road with the Xen, and the contact spot is exactly at that additional area in the lower rear. The helmet looked "melted" at the contact spot, and cracked above that spot in the rear while the front also cracked due to contre-coupe force. So I went out and bought 2 new Xens.

sg8357
10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I like the Xen and the Metro, the pointy helmets remind of old japanese
TV heros.

crossjunkee
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
The new S-Works is nice, but the Decibel is just as nice. Plus, it's a little less expensive.

DarrenCT
10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
The new S-Works is nice, but the Decibel is just as nice. Plus, it's a little less expensive.

totally different "inner cage" system.

its a big diff. imho..

DarrenCT
10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
the strap routing is also different and works better...

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I like the Xen and the Metro, the pointy helmets remind of old japanese
TV heros.

. . . on the right. THAT'S Norman Neville! ;) :banana:

As for helmets, I don' think there's any material difference between the $40 and the $200 as far as safety. They ALL have to meet the SAME testing standards. It's "fashion rules" carried way, WAY beyond the actual bikes.

Also, I really love (that means "laugh at") the advice you read in the magazines about helmets "wearing out" after 2-3 years. VeloNews has done it this month AGAIN--asking an "expert" about this. The "experts" always seem to be employees of companies that make and want to sell you . . . wait for it! . . . ANOTHER HELMET! :rolleyes:

BBD