PDA

View Full Version : Climbing is so much more fun when you're in shape!

saab2000
10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Just sayin'...

I have been riding more since my move, and riding better, and have maybe lost a pound or two.

Today I was just riding along in Too Tall's neck o' the woods (Maryland) and up some of the short steep ones like past the Mormon Temple and in Kennsington or someplace like that and it is nice to get to the top and not feel like I am having a heart attack, but be able to shift into a higher gear and keep going.

Cool.

Gotta keep the weight coming off!

Just thought I'd say that. Got the Look out here in Warschington DC and have had plenty of time to ride lately.

And the weather's been absurd for this time of year.

Fixed
10-07-2007, 02:38 PM
bro i was rereading lemond's book and he' s talking about an airline pilot who was a top am rider he had some training advise and the workouts for a busy cat like you . bro you might get as fast as you used to be soon cheers

Smiley
10-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Dude you were 2 miles away from us, should have called us to ride with you. The temple hill has nothin to be afraid of. We got others to test you on :)

saab2000
10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Dude you were 2 miles away from us, should have called us to ride with you. The temple hill has nothin to be afraid of. We got others to test you on :)

Baby steps, Smiley, baby steps! :beer:

mwos
10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
It's also easier when you can breathe. I thought my asthma was under control. On the last day of Ride the Rockies I had an asthma attack that landed me in the emergency room. I was put on Advair. Now that I can get air into my lungs I can climb most anything. I'm not huffing and puffing up hills anymore.

Everyone else I ride with huff and puff up hills so I thought my experience was normal!

Kathi

Ginger
10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Yep yep.

I rode out on Stutsmanville road on Saturday in the rain...I had a foot issue, but then it dawned on me that I actually rode the thing and I had a 12/26 rather than my 13/29 on the back...yes...I still used the granny on the front...but hey...I actually went up Stutsmanville without stopping! Yay me!

Saab, if you haven't been there yet, we'll introduce you to Stutsmanville road...the riding around Harbor Springs is overall pretty dang nice.

ergott
10-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Just means you didn't go hard enough;-)

Good on ya, mate.

dauwhe
10-07-2007, 07:43 PM
"If you're not suffering, you're just wearing out tires."

--unofficial motto of New England Randonneurs

93legendti
10-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Yep yep.

I rode out on Stutsmanville road on Saturday in the rain...I had a foot issue, but then it dawned on me that I actually rode the thing and I had a 12/26 rather than my 13/29 on the back...yes...I still used the granny on the front...but hey...I actually went up Stutsmanville without stopping! Yay me!

Saab, if you haven't been there yet, we'll introduce you to Stutsmanville road...the riding around Harbor Springs is overall pretty dang nice.

Which way did you ride Stuts, away from the Lake Shore or towards it?

Ginger
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I only went one direction this weekend...Up the face, Towards the lake...it's steeper that way...

I know I know...it's longer the other way...

93legendti
10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I only went one direction this weekend...Up the face, Towards the lake...it's steeper that way...

I know I know...it's longer the other way...

It is harder the way you went. If you take the road that Nub's is on (Richardson?) and go left on Stuts towards the Lake you'll have a nice ride; go up Wasson, double back up Five Mile Rd. and go back up Stuts going away from the lake--Tour de Pain we used to call it. Then there's Judd hill going out of Harbor Springs--the tendon stripper. I hope the weather was nice, it was sure nice here.

Ginger
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
It is harder the way you went. If you take the road that Nub's is on (Richardson?) and go left on Stuts towards the Lake you'll have a nice ride; go up Wasson, double back up Five Mile Rd. and go back up Stuts going away from the lake--Tour de Pain we used to call it. Then there's Judd hill going out of Harbor Springs--the tendon stripper. I hope the weather was nice, it was sure nice here.
Yep...I've done that route...
BOOO (in a good way...I didn't think that Judd hill was as bad as the first Stutsmanville hill after State) I thought Richardson was one north of Stuts...

Nope, this was supposed to be just an easy little solo gig, ride some hills, ride some 119, and take the easy route back. and it was. It was 70s and raining. Camped at Petosky State park, the morning was so thick I was nervous abotu being on the road so I stopped at the Wooly Bugger in Harbor Springs for a latte, then I stopped at Out to Lunch for lunch and some fog had burned off so I rode up State, across Stutsmanville, chatted with a couple people on the way, then rode 119 back to Harbor Springs because a powerline was down on Lakeshore...

Just changed my cleats recently, and where the new cleats are EXACTLY where the old cleats were...(same little nubbies on the bottoms of the cleats sink into the sole at the exact same place, like building with legos...) they aren't as worn as the old cleats and my right foot wound up too far inward at the heel...foot cramped up from the ankle down so I stopped mid hill and adjusted it "out" That eased up the cramping and I limped home.

Better than last time I was on Stutsmanville alone...*last time* I toasted a front dérailleur riding towards the lake. I don't know how...but I did.

Didn't ride this morning. It was so socked in up there that you couldn't see the Mackinaw bridge if you were standing underneath it...I know...I went and looked.

ooops...I think we hijacked a thread...

93legendti
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Yep...I've done that route...
BOOO (in a good way...I didn't think that Judd hill was as bad as the first Stutsmanville hill after State) I thought Richardson was one north of Stuts...

Nope, this was supposed to be just an easy little solo gig, ride some hills, ride some 119, and take the easy route back. and it was. It was 70s and raining. Camped at Petosky State park, the morning was so thick I was nervous abotu being on the road so I stopped at the Wooly Bugger in Harbor Springs for a latte, then I stopped at Out to Lunch for lunch and some fog had burned off so I rode up State, across Stutsmanville, chatted with a couple people on the way, then rode 119 back to Harbor Springs because a powerline was down on Lakeshore...

Just changed my cleats recently, and where the new cleats are EXACTLY where the old cleats were...(same little nubbies on the bottoms of the cleats sink into the sole at the exact same place, like building with legos...) they aren't as worn as the old cleats and my right foot wound up too far inward at the heel...foot cramped up from the ankle down so I stopped mid hill and adjusted it "out" That eased up the cramping and I limped home.

Better than last time I was on Stutsmanville alone...*last time* I toasted a front dérailleur riding towards the lake. I don't know how...but I did.

Didn't ride this morning. It was so socked in up there that you couldn't see the Mackinaw bridge if you were standing underneath it...I know...I went and looked.

Sounds fun. I can't remember the name of the road I went up, past Nub's. I did it in August. Our place is right across from the State Park, behind Toski Sands, Nice area. I always do the 119 area for rides, but going out of Petoskey inland (Howard, I think) there are some really lumpy, repaved roads I scouted....next year.

jeffg
10-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Well, I love climbing anyway, but being 20 pounds overweight now I am definitely slower uphill.

I have done hill repeats and have four planned for tomorrow morning.

I have a lot of motivation to lose weight now that the stress of transcontinental moves is over, but I am also motivated to sit down with my wife after a long day and have a glass or two of wine.

Today, I am doing both. Two ascents of 4 miles and 1600 feet. The first time with a skinny dude who was pushing me a bit more than I wanted so I ended up riding 29:00 minutes averaging over threshold. Then I dropped the intensity about 10% and did the climb again. Now I am cooking and sipping a Vacqueras and watching the boys ...

Once I drop the weight I will be excited to do some events and reap the rewards.

You go, Saab. Mit Abnehmen macht das Klettern umsomehr Spass!
(I don't understand your Swiss German, though ...)

caleb
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Some light wheels can't hurt :-)

Ginger
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Some light wheels can't hurt :-)

Yeah...I noticed Saturday that the Nucleon Tubulars were easier to push up the hill than the Open Pro clinchers. :)

saab2000
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah...I noticed Saturday that the Nucleon Tubulars were easier to push up the hill than the Open Pro clinchers. :)

Nukes rock!

Talk soon, Ging.