PDA

View Full Version : AxleWidth 1980/3 Serrotta Club Special

richardmoss
10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm starting to restore a Club Special and friend mentioned to me that I needed to be careful about sizing the rear axle because in the 1980's they were, "xx mm" He said I could either get correct hub--it was Campy Record HF, or get contemporary wheel set and bend the frame.

Does anyone have specs for the width between frame struts in 1980s? Or advice on how I could measure it; could I take a millimeter reading from a measuring tape, or is more critical and I need a mircometer?

Thanks,

Richard Moss
Washington, DC

Grant McLean
10-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Measure it from the inside face across to the other inside face.
Using a tape measure should be accurate to the millimeter, that's close enough.

Should be about 126.

-g

Pastashop
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Have a Club Special and the spacing is 130mm

Fixed
10-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Have a Club Special and the spacing is 130mm
80's bro
cheers :beer:

Brian Smith
10-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm starting to restore a Club Special and friend mentioned to me that I needed to be careful about sizing the rear axle because in the 1980's they were, "xx mm" He said I could either get correct hub--it was Campy Record HF, or get contemporary wheel set and bend the frame.

Does anyone have specs for the width between frame struts in 1980s? Or advice on how I could measure it; could I take a millimeter reading from a measuring tape, or is more critical and I need a mircometer?

Thanks,

Richard Moss
Washington, DC

If by restore you mean "make it fully rideable and in great condition without making it an elaborate project," then have your favorite builder or competent shop mech spread the rear to 130mm and hang your contemporary components on it, enjoy.
If by restore you mean "make it just like it probably was brand new," then your painter can probably ensure the spacing is 122mm while they check the alignment, more quickly than you can source the correct period parts.

Either way can be fun, and neither way is a problem.