PDA

View Full Version : Cross Training Question

Marco
10-06-2007, 12:46 AM
This winter I will be the owner of a new cross bike (photos to come) but have never done true cross riding. I live within 10 minutes of a cross course and plan to use the bike for it's intended purpose. A couple of newbie questions:

1. What's a "typical" cross workout? Is it doing laps around the local cross course or is it doing work on the road primarily?

2. Do intervals and all of the other fun stuff related to road training apply to cross?

shinomaster
10-06-2007, 02:35 AM
This winter I will be the owner of a new cross bike (photos to come) but have never done true cross riding. I live within 10 minutes of a cross course and plan to use the bike for it's intended purpose. A couple of newbie questions:

1. What's a "typical" cross workout? Is it doing laps around the local cross course or is it doing work on the road primarily?

2. Do intervals and all of the other fun stuff related to road training apply to cross?

Races are short, usually 30-45 minutes, therefore short super-intense workouts may help. Practice riding your cross bike too. They handle differently than road or mountain bikes. Jump on and off of it as best you can without hurting yourself. :)

Too Tall
10-06-2007, 05:10 AM

That's a big question! There is no one answer but hey this is the internet and opinions are dime a dozen ;) Let's just assume you are typical and this is after your RR/crit season...you got some rest and are racing now...whatever ;) You'd race or do an intense endurance workout weekend and mid week are short n' fat intervals ouch ouch ouch. A VERY effective interval workout for cyclocross mid-week is working just under and just over threshold...by moving "the mark" eg dorking with the range this interval works is a neat trick...for instance: 3 mins at 95% FTP, 4 mins at 105% FTP, rest 3 mins and repeat...for instance. What the ShiningMaster said is right on baby, get specific...spend time at race pace simulate a race but don't get burned out. Cross is basically a time trial on dirt over barriers with drunks screaming hehehe point is TT training can fry you...keep it spicey. Don't forget to maintain endurance.

PS post pics soon or risk ridicule ;)

BUTCH RIDES
10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Hello please don't be cross riding a bicycle is a happy experience.
adios amigos

PBWrench
10-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Marco. - Better to stick with your cross-dressing regimen. It is safer and your shaved legs will really pay off. :beer:

Marco
10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Too Tall: Photos too come but it will be awhile

PB Wrench: Are you aware of the new Borat style bibs coming out in '08?

PBWrench
10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Great chamois. Assos makes them in pink. Nice ride today bro!