PDA

View Full Version : 29er Mountain Bike ?

Steelhead
10-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Any of you all own or have you spent much time on a 2-9er? I've got a hankerig for a new mtb in 2008 and am considering 29" wheels. What are your impresions? And do you ride 29" hardtail or full squish?

Thanks - :)

TACSTS
10-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Yep, I've had a Dean Colonel 29r Singlespeed for about 2 years now. I wouldn't go back to 26" wheels for anything. Some people might say it feels funny at first and sluggish due to the larger wheels, but for me (6'3") it was like I was finally on a REAL bike and not some 20" bmx bike. For my style (SS) it is also good, because the name of the game is to maintain momentum, which 29rs do much better than 26" bikes.

Are you looking to go custom or stock? If you want custom and by your handle I gather you like steel, check out quiringcycles.net. Scott knows 29rs as good or better than anyone in the business, plus he's a super nice guy to deal with. PLUS his paintjobs are killer.

toaster
10-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I bought a Gary Fisher Rig 29'er singlespeed off eBay because I wanted to try 29" wheels and singlespeed at the same time. The Rig is an aluminum hardtail and has a Reba fork. I love hardtails and the bigger wheels just by themselves add some suspension effect over smaller 26" wheels so it makes the 29'er hardtail is even better. Also, you can run lower tire pressures in your tubed 29" tires than you can with standard tubed mtb 26".

Now I'm thinking about a geared 29'er and the Fisher SuperFly is my number one choice. It's got a light carbon hardtail frame and some killer spec's.

There are many good brands going to the 29'er trend. IMHO, the 29'er is for average and taller riders not for people maybe under 5'-6" or so. This is because of geometry constraints which complicate the frame size with the larger wheels.

You have to realize that the larger wheel will take more energy to accelerate and brake, the bonus is 29'ers momentum and the ability to go over bumps better due to the angle it strikes obstacles. The smaller 26" wheel has the advantage of quicker steering response and it's easier to accelerate or spin from slower speeds.

The biggest things I noticed are:
Climbing traction increases
Overall comfort over terrain
Once rolling or climbing steadily, momentum seems better
Lower tire pressure and increased contact patch
Better downhill cornering at speed on fireroads

huey
10-06-2007, 01:30 AM
29ers rule!!! Check out the MTBR.com 29r forum, find someone local who you can go out with and give it a try. Once you try big wheels, you will not go back to a regualr mountain bike ever again. :beer: :beer:

Steelhead
10-06-2007, 07:14 AM
SWEET ! I'm excited about trying it. I've got my mind on a Willits 29er hardtail with gears. I already have a nice Tomac Pro full suspension mtb. that I'll keep for awhile. I like the idea of getting back on a hardtail for my kind of riding.

Anybody else?? Thanks :)

shoe
10-06-2007, 07:30 AM
i've enjoyed riding 29 inch wheels....don't think i would really go back...i've been riding a niner rigid and have really enjoyed it...suspension is an individual preference but it makes a heavier bike heavier.relax ride loose and keep the build up simple and reliable... you might descend slower than full suss's but it allows you to really connect more to the trail and the larger tires smooth a bunch over..good luck with the decision....dave

don'TreadOnMe
10-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I've had a Waltworks for 3 years now, custom frame/fork.
Fully rigid.
I'll run IRC Mythos on it (big knobbies), Conti TopTouring2000 700x47's on it, and Michelin ProRace2 700x25's on it. It's a really really really great ride no matter how you slice it.

justinf
10-06-2007, 08:19 AM
29er singlespeed has really grabbed me too, for the past 6 months or so since I converted my Karate Monkey. The ride is way fun. I agree with the above comments that the momentum is key with ss and the 29in wheels really like to roll. I still like 26 full sus very much too (won't be giving up my Truth any time soon).

I recently got going on a rigid steel Willits, so I'll report back how much of an improvement that is. There are a lot of guys doing cool work in 29ers right now. . . Walt, Quiring. Willits, etc.

ericspin
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Steelhead - don't know what your timing is or exactly what you are looking for but I am preparing to post my Serotta TiMax 29er on the classifieds.

I love the 29 vs a 26. I had an Ellsworth truth before the TiMax. Being a roadie at heart I think the size of the whole package is more comfortable for me. In my area it's all fast singletrack which is perfect for 29.

Think hard about Ti. I am a steel fanatic with my road bikes but a hardtail ti MTB is hard to beat.

Eric

gdw
10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
A couple quick questions for the 29er crowd:
How tall are you and what size MTB frame do you ride?

markie
10-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I was not sure I would like the 29er, so I got a cheap one, Redline monocog. It is surprisingly fantastic for a cheap ($500) bike. I have not ridden the 26ers since getting it.

FWIW I am 5'' 11 and I ride a 17 innch monocog. Look out for the TT lengths on some of the 29ers...

John H.
10-06-2007, 10:19 AM
I have been thinking about a 29er as well. From my research I would say go cheap and get a Niner brand or Deluxe and Get a Fisher Superfly- the Superfly is actually pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

Steelhead
10-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Great stuff -- keep it coming !

csm
10-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I am trying not to think about the trek 69'r... for some reason I like that bike. especially the ss version with the turner fork.

markie
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM
go cheap and get a Niner brand

Your idea of cheap is different to mine... $800 frame. $2K+ complete.

I rode one a little bit and thought it was great, though.

Grant McLean
10-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I think wheelsize you choose depends on the terrain and trails you ride.

29er wheels will feel heavy, slow, and floppy or fast, rolly, and stable,
depending on where you're riding.

-g

Dave B
10-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I would also stress riding style, if you like to meander and trudge through then a full rigid or front sus would do nicely. If you are coming from a HT then I think you will enjoy the ride.

If you are coming from a full susser then a rigid or HT will not seem as exciting. But a Full Susser 29er will make an improvement on the feel of the ride.

For me I was able to keep my momentum going and on down hills i would speed up so much faster I would honest to goodness giggle at how different it felt. I had to readjust the way I used to ride to compensate for how things felt. It made boring trails almost new again.

Not magic difference, but still different.

I think there are more and more companies jumping on the bandwagon, but do not over look the 650B or 27.5 wheel bike.

From the reviews at Interbike (take that for what you will) this is the magic combination.

Look at Pacenti for some great info and ideas.

I think he knows the secrets. When I think about another HT or SS, I think I would look at his stuff first.

I wish more companies would do larger wheels with softails. Think Moots, Salsa, etc.

With a nice Reba and a soft tail I thnk larger wheeled bikes would absolutely rock!

BSteele
10-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Just did my first race on my Fisher Rig, and it did brilliantly over some pretty technical terrain (Fountainhead park in VA, for you in the DC/MD/VA area). Had to do the singlespeed shuffle up a couple of super steeps, but rolled like a steam engine over everything. Teh Awesome. :banana:

justinf
10-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Question for you guys ordering/owning custom singlespeedframes: did you go with a derailleur hanger and stops? I'm on the fence and need to decide soon.

I love ss riding but my knees have never been the hottest around, and a gnarly ss day leaves me a little sore through the joints.

mjb266
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Check out Cocconino cycles (sp?) and look at the paragon sliders he uses. Awesome builder, awesome bikes, awesome dropouts.

don'TreadOnMe
10-06-2007, 03:23 PM
My Waltworks is a der. frame, but I ride w/a White Industries ENO wheel a bunch too. Fixed, Free, Gears.

ENO rules.

Another Green World

justinf
10-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that's where my order stands right now with Willits--Paragon sliding dropouts and the possibility for gears too. I'll probably stick with that, but the bikes I see with no hanger and stops do look sweet. . .

PaMtbRider
10-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I am 6'3" and love my 29er's. I have a Salsa Dos Niner soft tail with a 25" top tube, and a Turner Sultan full suspension with a 25.25" top tube. I'll never go back to little wheels again.

link
10-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I've tracked a lot of comparison time with 26ers and 29er while on any given ride by simply swapping pedals. Here are the most salient observations I've found during that time:

26ers spin up faster from really slow speeds than 29ers

26ers negotiate changes in line through technical terrain more quickly and precisely then 29ers

29ers carry momentum better than 26ers

29ers roll over momentum robbing terrain better than 26ers (read: rocks and sand)

29ers are less apt to get "stuck" in very steep technical downhill terrain than 26ers

29ers have better traction climbing and cornering than 26ers

other things not ride related:

26er wheels build up stronger than 29er wheels (all things being equal)

then there's the whole discussion about CS length on geared 29ers that are more limiting for both the HT or full sus than 26ers

there are still more rim and tire options for 26ers than 29ers

At the end of the day I believe that if you can wait and watch this play itself out then I believe you're going to see 27.5 squeeze right down the middle and make a triumphant breakaway.

27.5 will obviously strike a compromise with the various ride characteristics between the 26 and 29. I find the 26/29 difference very noticeable. So I think there's plenty of room for that compromise. If you factor in the industry's need for norm and the ability to design geared rear sus around 27.5 that works well for climbing then I think they will finally seal the deal and establish a new wheel size norm.

Finally, I believe that 29er SS HT will remain as a standard in spite of the 27.5 because of the 29er ride characteristics that most benefit the SS rider

...we'll see how it goes

cengclimbing
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I have an old Klein that I built up as a 96er SS. Old Campy Record hubs, cranks and headset. Front fork is a Steelman cross from the early 90's. (Isn't the old spare parts bin great?) It's used mostly to ride the dirt roads around the house and get the mail. There is something to be said for the simplicity of a non-suspension SS. I agree with the other posts here, the larger front wheel rolls over obstacles better than a 26. The 29 inch front just gives a more plush ride. With the 26 inch rear I don't feel like I'm having a hard time getting up to speed. (42-18 gear set-up) Don't know if this applies to you or not but, I'm 5'7" and some of the 29ers I tried felt a bit too big. With the 96er platform that isn't an issue.

FWIW, I won't be giving up my Maverick or Serotta anytime soon. The SS 96er is just another way to enjoy being on a bike. It does however provide a riding experience that my other "primary" rides don't. I would say go for it if you haven't already. A SS 9er is a fun addition to the stable.

Archibald
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
First, drink lots of the 'ol Jonestown lemonade.

I've had a few 29ers. They're great on fast, open, trails. If you ride XC like XC is defined today, you'll be fine. I'll take a 26 anywhere else. I've ridden with lots of 29er equipped buds. They didn't get any faster. The biggest difference I see is the radical change in their geometry that made them more comfortable on technical trails and this has nothing to do with wheelsize (might be more accurate to say is has very little to do with wheelsize).

The geometry changes that the 29er platform forces is long top tubes and short stems to prevent toe overlap. The secondary benefit of this is that it gives you a rear tire weight balance that is SO important when dealing with difficult terrain. Most of the 29er Koolaid drinkers are coming off of XC 26" bikes setup with long stems and a more forward weight bias. Put a lot of weight on your front tire and what happens? Endos. Put a tall guy on a 26" bike and compensate for TT length with stem and what do you get? An endo mo-sheen. Now, put a long TT on and a dinky stem your weight is more behind the front tire, you're less likely to endo. It's basically the equivalent of running a really slack HTA on your MTB. You'll read the evangelical 29ers saying that it's hard to endo a 29er. It ain't on rough trails. I've passed enough of them on my 26" tired bike to know and witnessed even some of the best 29er riders going over the bars.

You want to have a fast 29er? Then buck the trend of those yahoos who want bigger and bigger tires. Put the smallest tires on it you can get away with and you will RIP on most trails. A 45mm Panaracer Fire is a wicked fast tire on most trails, and the wide variety of 1.9 to 2.1 tires are all you need for most situations and allows you to take advantage of the tire volume the 29" wheel has over the 26" wheel without getting that riding in sand feeling from the heavy tires. Stick with the small tires and you'll not experience most of the 29" platform faults and you will be faster for it.

Again for me, 29" wheels were fine, but they didn't meet my needs as well as the wide variety of 26" tires and components. I tend to prefer riding very technical and rough terrain so keep that in mind.

rnhood
11-06-2007, 03:54 AM
That is a good informative post Archibald. It paints a somewhat different picture than the one sees on the MTB 29'er forum, which I have always suspected to be very biased.

vandeda
11-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Archibald ... I do agree with you that geometry definitely has an effect here as your weight is moving rearward. I looked at some 29r's and their geometry started to look like Fisher's long advertised genesis geometry with the long top tube & short stems.

However, in no endo'ing, the tire diameter does play a role because your angle of attack changes. If a 29" tire is no less likely to roll over a rock, then the same argument says that a 24" or 20" tire is just as likely to roll over a rock. Anyone want to run 20" tires while flying throw a rock garden? ;) For a given size obstacle, a larger tire will roll over easier due to the change in the angle of attack.

So the ability of 29r bikes to roll over technical terrain is a combination of both the tires & geometry.

I agree that some of these 29" tires are frikkin' bricks.

DfCas
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
The front center of a Fisher 26 or 29 was the same until this year,since Fox has introduced a fork with more offset to compensate for the increased pneumatic trail of the 29.Longer top tubes and slack head angles are only forced on the small sizes,where the 29 may not be a good idea anyway.If you look at the Vicious geometry,its old school with normal TT lengths and a shorter front center. I have 2 inches of toe clearance on a large Fisher.

One key to the 29 stability boost is the increased BB drop.For a given BB height,the 29 will have 31.5 mm more BB drop.This makes the bike harder to wheelie,and harder to endo.I like sitting farther down in the bike better.

I rode 26ers for 10 years (6 bikes) and 29 for the last 5 years.I prefer 29ers.

ss-jimbo
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I've ridden a Matt Chester ti 29er ss rigid for about 4 years. I love it. I agree that it's not for everyone. The difference in riding over rocks is noticeable even when compared with a full suspension 26er.

I ride a bit longer tt on the 29er (about .5"), but the taller front end helps with that. I find it to be much nicer on the technical stuff, and it is not really slower in the tight stuff, it is just different.

It certainly isn't for everyone, probalby most especially the racer head crowd (although there are some screaming fast 29er racer types out there), but for 90% of the folks who are tall enough, it is a fun bike to ride.

That said, my next bike will be a geared (for the first time in 8 years, at least) 27.5er. I've been racing my ss, and I can finish in the top half of an expert 30+ field (at 38), and I'd like to see what I can do with gears and front suspension.

jimbo

Kirk Pacenti
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I've tracked a lot of comparison time with 26ers and 29er while on any given ride by simply swapping pedals. Here are the most salient observations I've found during that time:

26ers spin up faster from really slow speeds than 29ers

26ers negotiate changes in line through technical terrain more quickly and precisely then 29ers

29ers carry momentum better than 26ers

29ers roll over momentum robbing terrain better than 26ers (read: rocks and sand)

29ers are less apt to get "stuck" in very steep technical downhill terrain than 26ers

29ers have better traction climbing and cornering than 26ers

other things not ride related:

26er wheels build up stronger than 29er wheels (all things being equal)

then there's the whole discussion about CS length on geared 29ers that are more limiting for both the HT or full sus than 26ers

there are still more rim and tire options for 26ers than 29ers

At the end of the day I believe that if you can wait and watch this play itself out then I believe you're going to see 27.5 squeeze right down the middle and make a triumphant breakaway.

27.5 will obviously strike a compromise with the various ride characteristics between the 26 and 29. I find the 26/29 difference very noticeable. So I think there's plenty of room for that compromise. If you factor in the industry's need for norm and the ability to design geared rear sus around 27.5 that works well for climbing then I think they will finally seal the deal and establish a new wheel size norm.

Finally, I believe that 29er SS HT will remain as a standard in spite of the 27.5 because of the 29er ride characteristics that most benefit the SS rider

...we'll see how it goes

I heart link. :D

beungood
12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I wanted to try MTBing and alternate my road bikes between a spectrum beam bike and a tradtional frame when my back hurts. Ive thought the FS was the way to go. Now I am stuck between getting a 26 or 29 for my first mtb. I rode the Gary fisher Hifi and liked it but thought the 26 wheels seem to slow real quick and now an interested in the Hifi 29'r. I am 5'7 or 8 ,is a 29r in my case the wrong one to start off with?

Jack

markie
12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm 5'10 and fit on a lot of different medium 29er frames (redline, surly, niner, fisher) You should fit on the small bikes fine. You may or may end up with toe overlap (with your front wheel) though....

But if your back hurts on road rides, perhaps you need some full suspension bike.