PDA

View Full Version : Losing a good friend...

OldDog
07-14-2004, 12:06 PM
From cyclingnews.com:

A sad day for Hamilton
Tyler Hamilton (Phonak) didn't have the best of rest days on Monday, after learning that his dog Tugboat has cancer. "My best friend, my dog, I've had him for nine years - he has cancer really bad," Hamilton said after Stage 9. "I just found out late last night. We're going to have to put him to sleep tomorrow. For me it's a very sad day...he's like a child. I am going to see him tonight and I'll say good bye and that's it. That's life. I've had many great years with him. I met my wife after seven years, but I had two years with my dog and then I met my wife. She was growing to be super close with him as well. Just my dog and my wife and I, it's kind of a regular family here.

"It's hard. It's very sad and I'm not afraid to say that I cried a lot last night. Maybe people don't understand but for me and my dog...I'm so close to my dog. Him and my wife are everything to me. Tomorrow I'm going to lose one of my family members and it's sad...We've treated him like a king, that's for sure. He's travelled all over the world and has had a great life."

It's always sad to lose a pet. I hope Tyler can win the Tour for Tugboat.

bulliedawg
07-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, that about made me cry. If it's not one thing, it's another for Hamilton. What a thing to have to deal with during the Tour.

<sigh>

Smiley
07-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Lost two great dogs last year within 4 months of each other , skin cancer at 4.5 years of age for the female and 7.75 years of age and kindney failure for my male. best dogs ever , best friends and just got to love being with dogs . We whom have lost pets can relate but at least we have a humane way to say good bye.

Dekonick
07-14-2004, 04:13 PM
amen to being to do the humane thing. I wish we could do the same for people. It KILLS me to watch people suffer long drawn out metastatic diseases just because we can prolong it. WHY? WHY? WHY?

At least in the Netherlands you can die with dignity.

Sorry for changing the thread.

Pets are a gift. A wonderful gift.