PDA

View Full Version : Ksyrium SL Tubulars

djg
10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I can pick up a new set for about 400 bucks and I'm wondering what folks think about the rim bed, etc., and whether you've had any experience with them.

Exerting my non-existent control over the media: Ksyrium haters: yeah, I have some non factory built wheels (you can call them "custom" if you want) and I'll buy such again; and I have some campagnolo wheels and I'll buy such again; and I know that these are not much for aerodynamics; and I know that these are not ultralight; and I know that you can feel seismic activity on other continents transmitted up through those fat spokes; and I know that full msrp is shocking; and I know that I'd be hard pressed to repair these myself on a bicyle tour ... and I don't care. I've had good experience with Mavic generally; I like their hubs; and a set of the older SSC Ksyriums I had in the clincher version were rock solid dependable for me. I'm wondering about experiences with the later versions of the tubular Ks, whether there are any quirks to the rims, etc.

sspielman
10-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Great, bombproof, all-around wheels...at $400 they are a good deal.

10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
That's a great price and those are good wheels. Strengths: The hubs are superb, the wheels are fairly stiff and problem-free, and the rims are very good tubular rims (much better than Reflexes, by comparison). Weaknesses: A relatively harsh ride and a bit more lateral flex if you're either very strong and punching it a lot, or large. We have 6'5" Cat 2 riders who train on them without problems. You gain an improved ride with tubulars and then give up a little with these wheels, but you'd also do so with deep-section carbon rims as well. I've had no problems. Occasionally one hears of spoke breakage but it's either idiosyncratic to a particular wheel or to a particular rider (probably the latter). They aren't particularly light but they last and will work well for you. At that price, if you don't want them, let me know who to call.

SWorks4me
10-05-2007, 01:07 PM
+1

bostondrunk
10-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I had a set of these in tubular. Look at the rim bed, there is a raised 'bead' of some sort just off center of the bed. I don't know if it was because of this, but I had a hell of a time getting conti sprinters or competitions to mount without twisting off center..

Z3c
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I bought some about a month ago; I was very pleasantly surprised when I rode them.. Mine are tuby's and that is what I am comparing them to as well.. Not a lot of miles so far but they seem to be really nice..

Scott

jtferraro
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
At that price, if you don't want them, let me know who to call.

Exactly - and if he decides he doesn't want them, I'd take 'em for that price, OK djg? ;)

djg
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks folks, I ordered a set. Today (many days actually, but this code is only for today), performance is giving 20% off any purchase over a hundred bucks. The code is 6002384. If you go to their web site, there's a box on the home page for a mavic wheel sale. If you click on that link, you'll see separate prices for front and rear (campag only) Ksyrium SL3 tubular wheels. They total about 560 for the pair. Less 20%, gives you just under 450. If you have a so-called "team performance" number, there's a 10% kickback on top of that. If there's an outlet near your house, they'll do free shipping to the outlet.