PDA

View Full Version : Build kit query

kgreene10
10-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi all: I am just about to buy a Fierte IT frameset and need some help in selecting a build kit. My 1980s road bike just went out and I have been blissfully ignorant of new cycling technology for the past 20 years!

1. Do you have a favorite place to buy? An on-line search suggests that ColoradoCyclist has the best prices. Any other ideas?

2. I think I will go with an Ultegra base, but there are a ton of subsequent decisions. Money is an object, but I don't want to put Huffy-level parts on a Ferrari frame.

a. Wheels: Would it be a crime to choose Mavic Open Pros, DT 1.1, or Easton Circuits? If not, which ones? I live in an area of rolling hills and a lot of chip and seal roads.

b. Head set: does it matter if it's Chris King or Cane Creek?

c. Stem -- I have no clue.

d. Bars: I'm thinking short reach. Any problem with Easton EA70 Wing Bars?

e. Seat Post -- again, no clue.

Thanks for your suggestions.

cadence90
10-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Welcome abroad!

1. I think you are correct in that Colorado Cyclist/Excel have the best US online prices, but I'm not 100% certain. I don't shop enough.

2. Ultegra, yes. But of course Campa is much better. ;)

a. I'm not sure I understand the wheel question: OPs and R1.1s are rims (both good), whereas Circuits are complete pre-built wheels (a bit heavy but good). Do you mean Circuits or lace the Ultegra hubs to either of those rims? Wheel choice will be determined by your weight and riding type to a great degree. The wheels is obviously where your money should go.

b. The Cane Creek headset is fine, from what I hear. But the King is the best.

c. For the stem and seatpost clueless, the answer is Thomson.

d. Bars are very personal. I believe Excel lists bar reach and drop. What have you tried that you like?

e. see c

Louis
10-05-2007, 12:39 AM
You may want to also try Licktons lickbike.com (http://www.lickbike.com).

kgreene10
10-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi: Yes, I was too vague about the wheels. Three of the cheaper options are:

1. Easton Circuit factory built
2. DT 1.1 laced to Ultegra hubs
3. Mavic Open Pro laced to Ultegra hubs

I'm about 170 lbs, I like to climb, the roads are quite rough in my area, and my goal is to GO FASTER!

Seat post -- Thompson Elite or Masterpiece?

Thanks again.

cadence90
10-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Hi: Yes, I was too vague about the wheels. Three of the cheaper options are:

1. Easton Circuit factory built
2. DT 1.1 laced to Ultegra hubs
3. Mavic Open Pro laced to Ultegra hubs

I'm about 170 lbs, I like to climb, the roads are quite rough in my area, and my goal is to GO FASTER!

Seat post -- Thompson Elite or Masterpiece?

Thanks again.
Regarding the wheels: ask ergott here on the forum or at http://www.ergottwheels.com/ what he can do for you. There are several well-known custom wheelbuilders in the US and he is one of the best and most professional. You may be very pleasantly surprised. Definitely contact him.

Thomson Masterpiece if you are a WW, otherwise the Elite is fine.
I hope you don't need the setback post though....

What is the tt slope on a Fierte IT? 10*? Try to get a stem angle that works with that line, visually.
The Ritchey WCS or Oval Concepts posts/stem/bars are also very good.

soulspinner
10-05-2007, 04:30 AM
You may want to also try Licktons lickbike.com (http://www.lickbike.com).

Lickbike, Txcyclesport, Biketiresdirect all good. Cograds on your new bike.

14max
10-05-2007, 05:37 AM

shanerpvt
10-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Texas Cyclesport for online stuff (great prices on Campy)- they ship out of Dripping Springs (Local). There are tons of good shops in Austin. I would pick out a LBS and stick to it. The two shops I fequent give me a discount which makes it just as cheep at the online houses when you add freight.

IMHO,
Shaner

Bruce K
10-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Since you live in Austin, you might want to drop in on Alexis at Bicycle Sport Shop in Austin. Buying your stuff locally, even at a small premium, is worth WAY more in the services they can provide.

Alexis is very knowledgable, a Certfied Serotta SICI Fitter, and extremely nice as well, and I am sure will try to help you in any way she can.

BK

kgreene10
10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. It turns out that Colorado Cyclist is selling Ultegra SL build kits for the same price at Ultegra 6600 and, unfortunately, fully $500 cheaper than my LBS charges for 6600. I want to remain loyal, but that's a whole lot of loyalty.

I could use your advice on a few final decisions.

Wheel details: I think I will go with the DT 1.1 rims (black) laced to Ultegra hubs (these are the 6600s -- standard silver). I would prefer a black hub for the low profile/stealth look, but given the silver hub and black rim, what color spokes and nipples look the best?

Stem: I like the sedate look of the Thomson X2, but it seems to come in +/- 10 only. I think I need a +/- 6. Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have a picture of a fully built Fierte IT as an example?

Thanks.

cadence90
10-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Color selection is such a personal thing....I think you have to visualize the wheels on your bike, with the rest of the components, and then select the spoke/nipple colors from there.

Re: stems: Ritchey WCS comes in 84*; Deda Newton in 82*; Syntace F99 (the most simple, elegant graphics imo) in 84*; the Thomson X-2 is 80*, yes.
The Oval Concepts R700 stems and posts are very nice and the stems come in 84*.

Frank Draper
10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Regarding the wheels: ask ergott here on the forum or at http://www.ergottwheels.com/ what he can do for you. There are several well-known custom wheelbuilders in the US and he is one of the best and most professional. You may be very pleasantly surprised. Definitely contact him.

Thomson Masterpiece if you are a WW, otherwise the Elite is fine.
I hope you don't need the setback post though....

What is the tt slope on a Fierte IT? 10*? Try to get a stem angle that works with that line, visually.
The Ritchey WCS or Oval Concepts posts/stem/bars are also very good.

:confused: What is a WW?

shanerpvt
10-06-2007, 07:04 AM
weight weenie.

cadence90
10-06-2007, 01:35 PM
:confused: What is a WW?
Weight Weenie (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/index.php), sorry.

Kevan
10-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, welcome. In 20 years there have been enormous changes not only to bikes and their parts, but how you can go about shopping for them. While you're still in the dreaming state of development, I would spend some time Googling, using the search feature of this forum regarding parts, and checking out the eyecandy in the galleries.

Honestly, you can buy parts from eBay, Amazon, CC (as you mentioned) and a host of other terrific vendors. Take your time...drill...and ask questions right down to the pedals.

Take stock of your old steed: what you liked, what you didn't. Keep this thread active asking your particular questions, the continuity will help you and others. Don't be shy, your questions are the same others share.

Dave B
10-06-2007, 02:47 PM
As for kits, you absolutly have to check out eurobikeparts.com

The owner's name is Dom, and I think he has the best prices. He is one of the nicest guys and ships VERY VERY quick.

Wheels...my personal choice is that a handbuilt wheel will almost always last and ride better. Not in all cases mind you, but frame/wheels is where you should spend the most...but this is me.

hand built might be heavier, but not much, plus you might also get free truing for life, personal attention by the builder. In fact i strongly suggest working with a wheel builder and they can build you exactly what YOU want not what a company wants you to ride.

Iam too much of a fanatic, but you have to get a king. Sure there are many great brands, but King's products are perfect and his company is just a pleasure to see operate.

Many companies try to improve their designs to match king.

I doubt you could tell much between a Thompson elite and a masterpiece. Save the money and get the regular one, they are just so well done.

Good luck and let us now what you go with.

Prez

Bradford
10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Group: Ultegra is all you need.

Wheels: Call Jeremy at Alchemy or Ergott, tell they who big you are and how you ride, and then get out of their way and let them build you the right wheels.

Head set: Chris King. The difference in price is so small and Chris King is so good.

Stem: Ritchey Pro is all you need, Richey WCS looks a little cooler and weighs a little less.

Seat Post -- Ritchey if just want it to be the right post, Eriksen if you want something that is super cool.

Frank Draper
10-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Weight Weenie (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/index.php), sorry.

Thanks for the great site. I have been going crazy trying to find weight for different gruppos, bikes, etc.

cadence90
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the great site. I have been going crazy trying to find weight for different gruppos, bikes, etc.
It is a good site. Check it out. The listings section (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php) is very specific and accurate, but is also infrequently updated.

If you can't find what you're looking for in the listings, just search the forums and/or ask a question: a lot of those guys are complete tech geeks and very informed/current. A couple of really good ProTour racers post there also.

CaptStash
10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
You might want to consider looking for a set of gently used Dura Ace wheels from Ebay.They often go for ~$300 a pair, are light and will fit in well considering your Ultegra build.

If you are in an adventurous mood, you could even consider buying more or all of your group from Ebay. I did my bike off of Ebay and put the whole thing together with DA components for about the half the price of new.

CaptStash....