PDA

View Full Version : Marion Jones bites the dust

rwsaunders
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/10/04/jones.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Sandy
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
She had been tremendously vehement in her insistence that she never used drugs. Very sad. She was a remarkable talent.

Sandy

Ginger
10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
You know...I had an interesting discussion with a natural power lifter this week. Something about people saying "How can you tell someone is 'using'." His thing was: How can you *not* see that someone is using.

Back in the day, I really admired Ms. Jones for the attention she drew to American Women's track and field...she's always been very muscular...but when she really started to bulk up like that and look rather unnatural...I stopped watching.

http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/eventi/atene97/199708/03/33e4ae82018b4/_marion1.JPG
http://65.214.37.88/ts?t=11003870444865901902

72gmc
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
It's too bad she went down that road, especially because she is gifted to a ridiculous level. National title-winning shot as a freshman at North Carolina, and then she went on to some other big things...

Avispa
10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh wow... Would Lance be the next to admit?

Nahhhh... There's too much at stake, mate!

..A..

pdxmech13
10-04-2007, 11:58 PM
click click boom !

Sandy
10-05-2007, 12:08 AM
You know...I had an interesting discussion with a natural power lifter this week. Something about people saying "How can you tell someone is 'using'." His thing was: How can you *not* see that someone is using.

Back in the day, I really admired Ms. Jones for the attention she drew to American Women's track and field...she's always been very muscular...but when she really started to bulk up like that and look rather unnatural...I stopped watching.

http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/eventi/atene97/199708/03/33e4ae82018b4/_marion1.JPG
http://65.214.37.88/ts?t=11003870444865901902

Initially she was so feminine looking. But as you can see by the photos, quite a transformation. I agree, she lost some of tha natural look she possessed. And at one time, she was in a class by herself. Really sad.

Steroid Sandy

Erik.Lazdins
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Marion Jones had all the fame and the money and even the wheaties box come her way after the Sydney games.

Kelli White admitted, Tim -no longer tiny was linked to Patrick Arnold's concoction - but Marion linked through 2 husbands denied and threatened suit, she continued her career.

Now that her career is over she comes clean.

Is she going to write a book next?

BumpyintheBurgh
10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Marion Jones had all the fame and the money and even the wheaties box come her way after the Sydney games.

Kelli White admitted, Tim -no longer tiny was linked to Patrick Arnold's concoction - but Marion linked through 2 husbands denied and threatened suit, she continued her career.

Now that her career is over she comes clean.

Is she going to write a book next?

She may have to write that book in the slammer. Jones faces jail time for pleading guilty to lying "making false statements" to the Feds.

Barryl Bonds is still under investigation by the Feds, so expect the heat to be turned up on him next.

BURCH
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Do you think companies will look to add line items into these edorsement contracts that state money will need to be repaid to the company if performance enhancing drugs were used?

I guess her endorsements did their job 7 years ago and doesn't harm the companies now though, huh?

J.Greene
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh wow... Would Lance be the next to admit?
..A..

It's not in his DNA to admit or give up the fight. You could catch him with the goods, and a needle 1/2 way into his abdomen, and he'd still blame the French.

JG

rwsaunders
10-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Do you think companies will look to add line items into these edorsement contracts that state money will need to be repaid to the company if performance enhancing drugs were used?

I guess her endorsements did their job 7 years ago and doesn't harm the companies now though, huh?

How do you get the money back if it isn't there? I wonder if there will be insurance policies generated to address this type of issue in the future, exempting of course dog training and pot smoking.

benb
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Seriously who gets a mysterious vial from a coach that charges thousands and believes them when they say it's something they could just buy at the grocery store for a couple bucks...

I guess we're just supposed to believe you have to be incredibly naive to be a successful athlete.

barry1021
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
that football and baseball are starting to crack now. As with cycling it's gone way beyond drug tests to tracking packages in the mail. This could bust wide open, esp. in football. Athletes have been using HGH freely thinking they are OK but may find out that there is a version of "Puerto" awaiting them.

b21

rdparadise
10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
She never once tested positive and is now broke defending her innocence. She now admits to taking the "clear" from Balco and was supposedly told that is was some sort of flax seed oil concoction.

Her medals may be next to go.

Bob

rwsaunders
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
that football and baseball are starting to crack now. As with cycling it's gone way beyond drug tests to tracking packages in the mail. This could bust wide open, esp. in football. Athletes have been using HGH freely thinking they are OK but may find out that there is a version of "Puerto" awaiting them.

b21

I hope my wife doesn't start tracking my cycling goodies in the mail.

Ginger
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
She never once tested positive and is now broke defending her innocence. She now admits to taking the "clear" from Balco and was supposedly told that is was some sort of flax seed oil concoction.

Bob
Ah, well...that explains it.

Just can't wait for the movie.

"Tarnished Gold"

Can I copy rite the name??

manet
10-05-2007, 05:49 PM

"Tarnished Gold"

and her daughter P A T I N A

rspecker
10-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Below is Marion's statement.

What really bugs me is that she is focused on the fact of the cover up. Just like Scooter and Cheney. What WE should be upset about is the underlying crime--using banned substances. Were becoming a nation of TV lawyers, caught-up in the prosecution tactic of going after the perjury (because the underlying crime can't be prosecuted for whatever reason). But just because that is what the prosecutors do isn't a reason to overlook the actual uderllying crime. In this case its the drugs, not the lying. So this is a bogus apology in my opinion (maybe elsewhere Marion has given a "tearful" apology for being one of the biggest cheaters in sports history, in which case I stand somewhat corrected). I just hope that people who participate in sports, and who follow sports, reflect on what a big deal this is. It is not ok that our "greatest" athletes are cheating, and we should call BS on this type of "procedural" apology. Are any of the sports clean anymore? Does Marion have any idea how devastating this is? Its not because of the lying ITS BECAUSE SHE USED THE DAMN DRUGS.

And by the way, what does God have to do with anything. Spare me the reference to your God and (his, her, its) foregiveness. That's a self-serving statement too ("hey, look at me, I must be worthy of your forgiveness because I'm righteous enough to publicly ask for God's forgiveness.") Give me a break. And why is it that when people mess up they miss the massive irony of invoking a benevolent God?

"Making these false statements to federal agents was an incredibly stupid thing for me to do, and I am responsible fully for my actions. I have no one to blame but myself for what I've done.
"To you, my fans, including my young supporters, the United States Track & Field Association, my closest friends, my attorneys, and the most classy family a person could ever hope for, mainly my mother, my husband, my children, my brother and his family, my uncle and the rest of my extended family, I want you to know that I have been dishonest, and you the have the right to be angry with me.
"I have let them down. I have let my country down. And I have let myself down. I recognize that by saying that I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and the hurt that I have caused you. Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me.
"I have asked Almighty God for my forgiveness. Having said this and because of my actions, I am retiring from the sport of track and field, a sport that I deeply love. I promise that these events will be used to make the lives of many people improve. That by making the wrong choices and bad decisions can be disastrous. I want to thank you all for your time.''

Samster
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
and all along i though only cyclists doped.

konstantkarma
10-06-2007, 04:53 AM
She's a MAN, baby! :rolleyes:

Climb01742
10-06-2007, 05:01 AM

"Tarnished Gold"

alt title: In the clear

Tom
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
These people sound just like me and my pals when we nearly got busted smoking reefer in high school. Slip and slide and admit only what you have to.

What kills me is the "I didn't know what it was." She gets some mysterious flax seed oil and immediately eats everything in the refrigerator then picks the refigerator up, flips it over and shakes it to see if any more food drops out. This apparently didn't strike her as a strange result from rubbing on an oil.

saab2000
10-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

J.Greene
10-06-2007, 09:45 AM
These people sound just like me and my pals when we nearly got busted smoking reefer in high school. Slip and slide and admit only what you have to.

What kills me is the "I didn't know what it was." She gets some mysterious flax seed oil and immediately eats everything in the refrigerator then picks the refigerator up, flips it over and shakes it to see if any more food drops out. This apparently didn't strike her as a strange result from rubbing on an oil.

Ha!

JG

pdxmech13
10-06-2007, 09:03 PM
double hahhhhhhhh

pdxmech13
10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I caught NBC's synopsis of the story this evening and they immediatly interviewed a bunch of kids as if she were their icon. Please ! Those kids
didn't know her anymore than they did a novel written by someone by the title of Who took my cheese.

People don't want the truth....., thats why we watch tv.

harlond
10-07-2007, 05:54 AM
It's too bad she went down that road, especially because she is gifted to a ridiculous level. National title-winning shot as a freshman at North Carolina, and then she went on to some other big things...OT--Jones was on that UNC team, but Charlotte Smith made the game-winning shot, unfortunately.

Lifelover
10-07-2007, 07:53 AM

b21

We will certainly here about the stories in the media but it won't have ANY impact on the popularity of Football just like it does not seem to have hurt Baseball.

The average american sports fan (me included) does not give a Rat's A$$ if the athletes use performance enhancing drugs.

If it benefits their health in any way (recovery) I would encourage it.

This whole uproar about "cheating" seems very very much "holier than thou" ATMO.

At the absolute upper end of any competitive environment there is no cheating. It's just gaining an advantage.

Get over it or stop watching.

rwsaunders
10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
We will certainly here about the stories in the media but it won't have ANY impact on the popularity of Football just like it does not seem to have hurt Baseball.

The average american sports fan (me included) does not give a Rat's A$$ if the athletes use performance enhancing drugs.

If it benefits their health in any way (recovery) I would encourage it.

This whole uproar about "cheating" seems very very much "holier than thou" ATMO.

At the absolute upper end of any competitive environment there is no cheating. It's just gaining an advantage.

Get over it or stop watching.

My wife's position is to form a football league for admitted steroid users and see who's left and who cares when the dust settles.

93legendti
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Below is Marion's statement.

What really bugs me is that she is focused on the fact of the cover up. Just like Scooter and Cheney. What WE should be upset about is the underlying crime--using banned substances. Were becoming a nation of TV lawyers, caught-up in the prosecution tactic of going after the perjury (because the underlying crime can't be prosecuted for whatever reason). But just because that is what the prosecutors do isn't a reason to overlook the actual uderllying crime. In this case its the drugs, not the lying. So this is a bogus apology in my opinion (maybe elsewhere Marion has given a "tearful" apology for being one of the biggest cheaters in sports history, in which case I stand somewhat corrected). I just hope that people who participate in sports, and who follow sports, reflect on what a big deal this is. It is not ok that our "greatest" athletes are cheating, and we should call BS on this type of "procedural" apology. Are any of the sports clean anymore? Does Marion have any idea how devastating this is? Its not because of the lying ITS BECAUSE SHE USED THE DAMN DRUGS.

And by the way, what does God have to do with anything. Spare me the reference to your God and (his, her, its) foregiveness. That's a self-serving statement too ("hey, look at me, I must be worthy of your forgiveness because I'm righteous enough to publicly ask for God's forgiveness.") Give me a break. And why is it that when people mess up they miss the massive irony of invoking a benevolent God?

"Making these false statements to federal agents was an incredibly stupid thing for me to do, and I am responsible fully for my actions. I have no one to blame but myself for what I've done.
"To you, my fans, including my young supporters, the United States Track & Field Association, my closest friends, my attorneys, and the most classy family a person could ever hope for, mainly my mother, my husband, my children, my brother and his family, my uncle and the rest of my extended family, I want you to know that I have been dishonest, and you the have the right to be angry with me.
"I have let them down. I have let my country down. And I have let myself down. I recognize that by saying that I'm deeply sorry, it might not be enough and sufficient to address the pain and the hurt that I have caused you. Therefore, I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me.
"I have asked Almighty God for my forgiveness. Having said this and because of my actions, I am retiring from the sport of track and field, a sport that I deeply love. I promise that these events will be used to make the lives of many people improve. That by making the wrong choices and bad decisions can be disastrous. I want to thank you all for your time.''

Maybe she'll be an advisor to Hillary (on health and fitness?) like Sandy Berger:

"WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Sandy Berger, who stole highly classified terrorism documents from the National Archives, destroyed them and lied to investigators, is now an adviser to presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Berger, who was fired from John Kerry’s presidential campaign when the scandal broke in 2004, has assumed a similar role in Clinton’s campaign, even though his security clearance has been suspended until September 2008. This is raising eyebrows even among Clinton’s admirers.

“It shows poor judgment and a lack of regard for Berger’s serious misdeeds,” said law professor Jonathan Adler of Case Western Reserve University, who nonetheless called Clinton “by far the most impressive candidate in the Democratic field.”

Adler told The Examiner that it is “simply incomprehensible to me that a serious contender for the presidency would rely upon him as a key foreign policy advisor.”

He added: "If Senator Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee, at some point she will begin to receive national security briefings that will include sensitive information. At such a point, continuing to keep Berger on board as a key advisor, where he might have access to sensitive material, would be beyond incomprehensible."

http://www.examiner.com/a-977346~He_s_back__Sandy_Berger_now_advising_Hillar y_Clinton.html?cid=rss-Washington_DC

Russell
10-09-2007, 07:15 AM

Bob

Going, going, gone

William
10-09-2007, 07:40 AM
My wife's position is to form a football league for admitted steroid users and see who's left and who cares when the dust settles.

Or, the All Drug Olympics....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCGYtFAQ2U

William ;)