PDA

View Full Version : Giving up

ajs122
07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
I think I'll be hanging up my bike ( relatively new Atlanta 50c with Daytona less than 300 miles) and leave biking to you younger guys. Unless you have a recommendation for an upright kind of bike with big old fat tires that just glides along and absorbs the pot holes. I have enjoyed reading comments from those who post here. Still the best bike site on the web. Best to all.

Serotta PETE
07-14-2004, 10:31 AM
You can get bigger tires on your Atlanta. (28cm). Addditionally, I assume that you have threaded HS, so you can go to Revindell Bike and get a a Nitto
stem to get you sitting straighter.

If all else fails, a hybrid with SLICKS will work. Bicycling is not just about "pushing the pedals". It involves exercise, social interaction, the outdoors and quite a bit of tranquility.

Send me an e-mail and we can discuss in more detail. Confort can be had - - - - -with the fun of bicycling...

PETE

zap
07-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Hang in there.

My wife converted (well I actually did it :rolleyes: ) her first steel MTB to a comfortable street cruiser. Steel lugged Bridgestone frame, big slick tires, comfy saddle and more upright bars makes for a great futzzzing around bike.

va rider
07-14-2004, 10:42 AM
What, give up? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No.

Put fatter tires on her, a suspension seat post and hybrid/mtb handlebars.

Are you with me? Aaaaaaahhhhhhh.......

deechee
07-14-2004, 10:48 AM
well, them "surly" bikes look pretty cool. After switching to road, going back to a full suspension rig felt like riding a giant cushion; it was nice but at the same time so inefficient and slow...

Have you tried slopping on some 25's or 28's? Lower the pressure too. Didn't rock shox have a road suspension fork at one time?

TimD
07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Every now and again I see an incredibly old person on a bike. Sometimes they are going incredibly slowly - so slowly that it appears they will fall over - but somehow they don't. Sometimes they are going relatively quickly. Either way I am inspired.

Last week I chased a guy much older than I am for about 2 miles at well over 20 MPH before I caught up. I found he wasn't working particularly hard and was about halfway into what would be a 45 mile ride. Later, on the same ride, I ran into an even older guy on a yellow 64cm CdA. He'd been diagnosed with Type II diabetes and found cycling an ideal way to exercise. [Still fancying the carbon / steel combination I offered to swap my Legend with him for a mile or two. He agreed, but as he was riding SPD SLs and I Looks we abandoned the idea.]

Then there's the first chapter in LA's first book, about lying down in a field of flowers after screaming down a descent at 70 miles per hour. Absolutely goddamn right in my view. When I'm unable to ride *something* then it is probably time to move to Oregon and come down with something terminal!

That out of the way, here are a few things you might try before really hanging it up -

. A suspension seatpost
. A gel saddle
. 31mm bars with thick tape
. Gel gloves
. 28mm tires

Regards - TimD

M_A_Martin
07-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Give up? Sure, go ahead.

But you don't have to. If that frame fits you, you can morph it into something more comfortable for you.

I know so many people who will argue that a bike created as a road bike should always remain a road bike. But if that's not comfortable for the person riding it, why not change it up so that it works for them? It is JUST A BIKE! Change it so that it suits you! Projects like this are fun! Think out of the box!

Go talk to your fitter/builder about your issues. See what can be done with your bike to make you comfortable on it, to make it *yours* not some racer boys bike (not that there's anything wrong with that...but that might not be the style of riding you like).

See about raising the handlebar height and changing the bars to something you're more comfortable with. If you can't get more height from the stem, consider putting mountain bike riser bars on it or something similar. That will give you some height, and some sweep back if you want. Put bar ends on it for more hand positions. Put wider tires on with a bit of tread for stability. They might be slower, but so what?

Your drivetrain is probably fine, you'll change the shifters when you change the bars. Your builder should be able to work something out.

And lastly, Don't bother with clips and cages if you don't like them. Change over to some big flat BMX pedals that you can ride in tennies. Who cares if the bike doesn't look "like it was intended" as long as you're getting out and riding it.

A bike is a bike is a bike is a bike (Even if it is a Serotta). Make it YOUR bike!

And post some pictures when you're done!

On soaking up pot holes:
Serotta doesn't make the DKS anymore...but Kirk makes the terraplane! If you look at a new frame, consider it. It does take a lot of the sting out of the bumps while it does its job keeping the tire on the road!

I know other people who ride full suspension mountain bikes on the road. Change them up a bit so they're a bit more upright and the handlebars are tolerable, and you'll be golden. You can find really good used full suspension mountain bikes around. Just make sure you adjust the rear shock correctly or it will spank you when you go over bumps instead of soak them up!

bostondrunk
07-14-2004, 10:58 AM
As far as I can tell, this guy has a total of 2 posts on this forum?? Troll??
You own a serotta and you think the answer to riding discomfort is to quit the sport entirely? Troll!!!
Yeah, give it up, pal. My bike gets uncomfy sometimes too, and my legs hurt from having to pedal, and man do I hate the way my lungs feel when the road goes upward.
:crap: :banana:

ajs122
07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys, always a great group here. Yes, I've got roly polys 28c on my Atlanta. Maybe a suspension seat post? Does anyone have a good one they can recommend? I had a cheap one when I first started riding and it really scewed me up since it keep moving around.Bad really bad.Not a good idea for the boys.

Ahneida Ride
07-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I could say the same thing.

It's just a matter of getiing the right equipment. My Legend killed me
when I first got it. The seat was murder and the gearing set up for a
masher. 53/42/30

I switched to a Brooks B67 (springs) and installed a TA Zephyr with 48/36/22
rings. Cogs are a campy 12-29. I can now manage the worst of
hills and ride in complete comfort.

I'm also one of the slower riders out there. Who cares ? I'm having more
fun then any one else. I have little interest in speed.

Get the bars up there, a decent saddle and spinning gears and you will
have a blast. It's just a matter of the right equipment.

If I can do it, anyone can !!!! Spin Spin Spin ... get mountain gears !!!!

I think most people quit cause their frame is uncomfortable and gearing
is too difficult.

bostondrunk
07-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Back pain because of a cheap seatpost...completely screwed you up because of it moving around...
OK.....lol...

Dekonick
07-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Umm _ I have an answer. Give Sandy your atlanta, Sandi will give me his CSI - and you go buy a 'bent.

A 'bent will definitely be comfy. - and Sandy will love the atlanta. I will take good care of the CSI (since the CSI is so depressed now... I will cure that.) :D