PDA

View Full Version : Compare/contrast Legend Ti and Otrott

scottcw
07-14-2004, 09:52 AM
I am the satisfied owner of a Legend Ti, but I see an Otrott on the demos page that has the exact same geometry and find myself thinking, "Hmm... ."

How do they compare in ride? strengths and weaknesses of each? does the Otrott have any rider weight limitations?

Thanks.

Serotta PETE
07-14-2004, 10:05 AM
The Ottrott rides great and so does the Legend (just different). There are differences and if all was equal ($$) I would take the Ottrott. The ride is like non-other. BUT =It is really one of choice.

Both can be build to you size and weight. Ti Tubing and Carbon Tubing can be matched to your weight, type riding, size, and colors. (Both are truly custom.) Noo weight limits AND they biuld to your needs/wants

scottcw
07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
The Ottrott rides great and so does the Legend (just different). There are differences and if all was equal ($$) I would take the Ottrott. The ride is like non-other. BUT =It is really one of choice.

Both can be build to you size and weight. Ti Tubing and Carbon Tubing can be matched to your weight, type riding, size, and colors. (Both are truly custom.) Noo weight limits AND they biuld to your needs/wants

OK, so how do they differ in ride? I already know what the Legend Ti rides like. How does the Ottrott compare?

The Ottrott would not be custom matched to me. It is on the Demos page, so it would be a stock frame/geometry.

Len J
07-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I bought a Legend Ti, custom built in December 2002........My main demand on this bike when interacting with the Shop & Kelly was Long distance comfort built for a high cadence spinner. As a result, when given the choice between stiff and compliant, they chose compliant. My riding weight ranges from 160 to 170 with most of the year between 165 & 170.

I too found a perfect geometry match Ottrott ST on the Demos & deals section. Conversation with Serotta revealed that it had been built up with a tubeset designed for a rider 170 to 200 lbs. I was aprehensive about this at first, but interaction with other Ottrott owners made me more comfortable.

The reason I go thru this is that the comparison I am going to share is of not just the two models but also two completely different tubesets.......the Bikes were designed differently. I would recommend that you understand the design differences between your Legend and the Ottrott before you pull the trigger.

I love my Legend. It does exactly what I wanted when I bought it and is the most resonsive comfortable long distance bike I had ever owned. Fit is perfect, transfer of energy from the pedals is as good or better than anything I had ever experienced. After 6 hours in the saddle, I'm much more refreshed than any other bike I had ever owned. To get this ride I asked for, there was only one small sacrifice........on those rare occasions when I stand to stomp up a hill (I tend to spin up hills) , I do get front der chain rub.....the BB/Chainring combo does flex a small amount. Again, I got exactly what I asked for, this is not a complaint.

I bought the Ottrott St at a price that made it a no risk venture, so I was really curious about several things:

1.) Was there really a noticible difference in ride. (Was the difference marketing hype or real?)

2.) How big a sacrifice in comfort would I notice on long rides due to the stiffer tubeset.

3.) How noticible was the effect of the pivoting ST rear.

Prior to receiving the Ottrott ST, I had put about 6,000 miles on the Legend. Since i've gotten the Ottrott, I've put almost 2,000 on it and about 300 miles on the legend. In the beginning and sporadically since, I will come back on one bike after a long ride, and take the other bike out for a 20 mile loop just to do a real time comparison.

My Opinion, The Ottrott blows the Legend away. I paid less for the Ottrott (by a wide margin) so I don't think this is about justifing the purchase. The more I ride it, the more I notice.

Comfort: Even with the stiffer tubeset, it is MORE comfortable than the Legend. I'm not sure if it's the carbon soaking up the buzz or the ST or what, but It is incredibly noticible, especially after doing a 50 mile ride on the Legend followed by a 20 miler on the Ottrott, or vice versa.......the comfort difference is noticible......I was and remain shocked by this (I was expecting the opposite and had prepared myself for the Ottrott being my Hammer/short ride bike).

Responsivness/Efficiency: Again, due to the stiffer Ottrott tubeset coupled with the carbon this bike just jumps. The legend is an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, the Ottrott is a 9.7. Also No chainring rub at all.

Durability: Jury is out on this for me, I worry about the two material bonding failing, but that is just fear based. At the end of the day, I trust Serotta not to introduce a product not ready for market. I have the fork, ST stays and Main carbon tubes clear coated and frankly they seem to scratch easy. These are all surface scratches and are easily touched up but I have been disappointed at how easily this happens.

All in all, I think the Ottrott is a much better bike than the Legend in pure ride characteristice...............You have to decide if these differences are worth the price.

Good luck.

Len

Serotta PETE
07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Scott, you are right. I did not answer your question. Sorry...

It is my opinion that between the new Legend oversize tubes/ST and Ottrott ST - it is one of choice. Like many things in life, they are different but one is not better or worse than the other. You do feel the road more with the Legend but I do not consider that bad. They both have the same fork, rear end and down tube. ( for a given rider and their preferences)

Both are responsive, comfortable. (Keep in mind the wheels, tires, seat, and position also affect what one considers a good ride)

Best for you to ride a demo bike at one of the places that they take the demo fleet. (Both Ottrott and Legend STs are in the stable.)

I saw Len at Open House in Saratoga. His bike is beautiful and fits him very well.

If your measurements fall into "non-custom required" you get a great ride for a great price.

You need to see what works for you.......

Silverthump
07-14-2004, 11:08 AM
I would second everything Len mentioned in his review. I got a fantastic deal on a stock Ottrott ST after ridding Legend TI for 3 years. I abosultely loved the Legend, couldn't every imagine having a better bike.
I was absolutely shocked at the ride difference with the Ottrott ST. Comfort and desending was dramatic. This could be to the ST rear but it is fantastic.
JUST DO IT.

scottcw
07-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, the one on the D&D page does not have the ST rear, which I think I would be a little heavy for anyway. I am currently at around 220. My fighting weight is around 180 and I should be there by the end of summer.

I love the ride of my Legend Ti and, as a couple of you have said, could not imagine a better ride. I always compare the ride to a finely tuned sports car - I feel the road, but not like in a Jeep (steel). The feel of the road is responsive and exhilarating instead of painful. I just wonder how much difference the carbon TT and DT would make.

Also, there is no way that I would break even. I would buy the D&D frame/fork and take everything from my Legend Ti to build it up, possibly even switching forks (currently Ouza Pro v. the O2 that comes with the Ottrott). Then I would sell the Legend Ti frame with whichever fork I did not keep.

My final concern is that the Ottrott is honestly too good a bike for a hack like me. So is the Legend Ti, but I got a great deal on eBay several years ago. 3-4 yrs. ago I would think nothing of doing a hilly double century over a weekend. I have only recently gotten back in the saddle since moving to NY 2 yrs. ago. The Ottrott is way beyond my abilities.