PDA

View Full Version : gutter pass

Fixed
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
bro ever notice when you pass some cats on the right in the gutter how nevous they get like you are going to knock their hbars out of their hands ..some cats will slow way down and give you a dirty look .
when passing the grass is always better than a car cheers imho

" when everything is coming your way ..you are in the wrong lane "
s.wright

dirtdigger88
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
you should see the looks I get when I pass someone in a ditch

jason

Kevan
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Well, for most folk passing them on their left is convention, just as you would in a car, passing another . Reason being...you're in the power position, he might not even know you're back there. You want to pass, you have the better view of what's happening behind you. I appreciate you're not expecting them to do anything beyond holding their line but if anything happened in a sqeeze while you're on the grass, you'd likely take them out, into the traffic flow.

Situations may vary.

Fixed
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
ment right sorry... there is almost always enough room ... and it gives you an edge... like hey i can fit in here ... you don't always have to pass on the left ... it really gets to some cats when they are doing a pace line and you pass in the gutter . to break things up a little
cheers imho

Too Tall
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
"The Animator" nice ;)

Ken Robb
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
[ to break things up a little
cheers imho[/QUOTE]
That's what we're afraid of. :rolleyes:

Fixed
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
bro that might be why nobody calls me up to ride anymore
cheers
messenger thing fit into tight places imho

benb
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
What are you talking about?

Big Peloton, race, etc.. pass on either side.

If you're IN a Paceline - pass on the side you're supposed to pass on.

Overtaking on a random ride out on the road... pass on the left, you are overtaking, they have the right of way. No different then a car passing another car.

If I was just riding a long by myself and you passed me "in the gutter" I'd definitely slow way down and let you get a safe distance away.. cause I think you'd have a far higher chance of taking me out passing in the dirt/gravel/whatever at the side of the road then passing on the left. In that situation you'd just be incredibly annoying. (I also don't leave enough room for you to do that when I'm JRA though)

J.Greene
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I've noticed that when I ride in a double paceline with non racers they don't ride very close. And when I try to get close they keep moving away. My racer pals we all ride shoulder to shoulder. What's the big deal if an occasional arm, hip or shoulder bumps?

JG

Fixed
10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
bro sorry i ride with buses and cabs
cheers imho

93legendti
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
cheers imho
Jerome Bettis?

Fixed
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I've noticed that when I ride in a double paceline with non racers they don't ride very close. And when I try to get close they keep moving away. My racer pals we all ride shoulder to shoulder. What's the big deal if an occasional arm, hip or shoulder bumps?

JG
that 's the point bro thanks
cheers imho

Kevan
10-03-2007, 03:56 PM

JG

Face it, most cyclists don't paceline. Even fewer do doubles.

Fixed, I appreciate you're comfortable in handling a bike, but honestly...if some guy zipped past me on my right without a heads-up yellled and he's dancing between the dandylions in the gutter, I'd be ticked too. Just for the fact you broke up my game to please your own. I'm just saying.

There are plenty of times I ride alone too.

benb
10-03-2007, 03:56 PM
If that's what you're talking about fine..

But just going out and "buzzing" random riders on the wrong side is just plain annoying.

I'm comfortable with people I know passing me and brushing me.. but that trust is to be earned.. I won't get terribly close to someone I don't know both for courtesy and safety.. I have no idea if they're going to flip out and take me out, and at the same time I have nothing to prove by scaring them.

Too Tall
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
It's the spicey thing...yah know?
I've seen a certain humble pennsylvania builder do this during weekend training rides when the bunch falls asleep...pip squeak!!! It def. wakes everyone up in a good way ;)

Alexi
10-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I hate being passed on the right with-out a heads up. I almost crashed into some freaking hippy last time I was in Boston cause he decided to pas on my right and I had to pull right to avoid a pothole. This cat was passing me about a foot between us. Bad ju-ju.

J.Greene
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Somewhere along the line I learned how to do a rotation by what way the wind was blowing. That skill does not get taught today either. I don't think you should frighten a rider, but skillz are in short supply in today's weekday and weekend training rides.

JG

93legendti
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
A guy names Scott pulls up on the inside of our double paceline, nice gutter/curb 2 feet or less from me. he wasn't on our die, he ran into us 1/2 way thru and joined in. Fine.

I asked nicely if he wouldn't mind saying next time "on your right". He gets annoyed and says "I figued you're a good enough rider to handle it". I say: "Yes, but what's so hard about saying 'on your Right'?" he gets more annoyed and drops off. I figured he was looking for a confrontation.

What's so hard about saying "on your right"?

swoop
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
this brings up the skill: "how to close the door on someone".. its a handy little ditty.

93legendti
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
this brings up the skill: "how to close the door on someone".. its a handy little ditty.

In these parts, we don't use that one on friendly group rides.

shanerpvt
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
"on your right" - it's the right thing to do.

Bill Bove
10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
but skillz are in short supply in today's weekday and weekend training rides.

JG

Amen Bro.

I always adhere to this simple rule, "when in rome..." If i'm the new guy in a ride i'll watch for a little while and get the vibe of the ride, falling back in the wind, town line sprints etc. What does bug me though is in a big century ride and they tell you to pass on the left and I come up on some old fart falling off the back of a group too fast for his legs but not his ego who's riding in the middle of the lane and I go by him in the gutter and he yells at me :argue: :crap:

DukeHorn
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
There are enough recreational riders out there that there's no need to put yourself or them into harm's way by doing things outside of convention.

I have one friend, who's is currently doing the Amgen ride, that can't even take her hands off the handlebars to use a water bottle. Why would you even want to come up on her right? To force her out of the bike lane? Just pass when its clear.

I do wonder why it's always the "experienced riders" that feel that they have the right/privilege to violate convention and traffic laws. On my way to work this morning, saw a rider going full on (around 25+) on his Cervelo P3 blow through 2 straight red lights without even slowing. Granted there was no crosstraffic at the intersections, but nothing like giving drivers more reason to hate cyclists....

wasfast
10-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean:-)

J.Greene
10-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Here's the thing. There are more weekend warriors than ever before. Many of these guys and gals are quite fast. But nobody has ever taught them how to ride. From simple etiquette like asking to join a paceline, to actually knowing how to ride one. Group rides seem to function at the lowest common denominator. When the sport was smaller we mentored riders more.

JG

Fixed
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
bro when i started racing this old cat would ride next to me all the time ..i mean all the time close ,he'd bump into me and stuff ..i thought he didn't like me or something ...i found out later he thought i had a little talent and was trying to help me he would ride in the gutter too ...when i think about it most the good racers i know know how to ride anywhere on the road nothing like goin 30 with hbars touching
cheers imho

Too Tall
10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
bro when i started racing this old cat would ride next to me all the time ..i mean all the time close ,he'd bump into me and stuff ..i thought he didn't like me or something ...i found out later he thought i had a little talent and was trying to help me he would ride in the gutter too ...when i think about it most the good racers i know know how to ride anywhere on the road nothing like goin 30 with hbars touching
cheers imho
Choose your friends wisely.
ZNFNDL has this habit of sticking his fat b-hind in my hooks and than standing...dork!!! hehe.
Seriously, I don't have to guess Fixed is a guy I could lean on around a corner and it would feel otay. Practicing skills during training rides is old school which is new school it's all rock n roll to me.

H.Frank Beshear
10-03-2007, 07:21 PM
you should see the looks I get when I pass someone in a ditch

jason

So a couple years ago the Dirtman, birthday boy(Jthurow) and I were riding in the Capital city century a rather large (in more ways than one) group was ahead of us. I let them know I was "on your left" Jason in the grader ditch with an "on your right". The tattooed biggun started to look a bit miffed and I smiled and shrugged at him, "ex BMX'rs what can you do with them :D .

saab2000
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM

No need. Just put your arm around them with a nice squeeze of the hand and ask them if they'd like to ride or if they'd like to go in the ditch? All the while coasting and leaving about a 10 bike length gap. Close the gap yourself.

You'll never have trouble from that one again! :banana:

Fixed
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
ZNFNDL has this habit of sticking his fat b-hind in my hooks and than standing...dork!!! hehe.
Seriously, I don't have to guess Fixed is a guy I could lean on around a corner and it would feel otay. Practicing skills during training rides is old school which is new school it's all rock n roll to me.

same here.. Too Tall

it's fun to do new stuff leaning on each other can be a game ..in practice......and skills can save your life and that's a good
cheers imho

Big Dan
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Pass on the left bro...Only tri-geeks pass on the right.
When I hear riders coming behind me I drift to the right some....
If you are passing on my right, someone is going down...

:p

Len J
10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
same here.. Too Tall

it's fun to do new stuff leaning on each other can be a game ..in practice......and skills can save your life and that's a good
cheers imho

between passing someone you don't know riding alone on a road on the right, & mixing it up with a bunch of buds on a training ride.

If someone came up from behind me on a solo training ride and tried to pass me on the right, I'd either run him into a gutter, or chase him down and run him into a gutter. And I'm a pretty level headed guy....but that is damn dangerous. Do that to a newbie & don't be surprised if he doesn't panic and pull his bike left .........into traffic.

Now do that on a group training ride with a bunch of wheels I trust and I'd be fine with it.......

Bone headed move IMO with anyone you don't know.

Len

Fixed
10-03-2007, 08:16 PM
bro i never said this is something to with cat's you don't know
you have have a little faith in a ride .cheers imho

Len J
10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
bro i never said this is something to with cat's you don't know
you have have a little faith in a ride .cheers imho

I misunderstood....and from reading this thread, so did others.

Len

Fixed
10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
i know bro i was away riding but these skills will help even on a charity ride when your packed in bar to bar
cheers imho

csm
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM
if someone passed you on the highway on your right while you were in the left lane, would you chase them down?

rounder
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
cheers imho

I don't know what it's like there in Florida. I work in D.C. and there are a lot of bike messengers there. It is impossible to drive around in a car because of all the traffic and every pedestrian seems to have right of way. The messengers seem to own the place and a lot of them look good on their bikes. I was watching one guy who was riding along in the middle of a 4 lane street (2 lanes each way) and all of a sudden there was a cement island in the middle. I was wondering what he would do...no prob...he hopped up on the island and kept going until the next light where he made a left turn with no change of pace and no problem. It was cool. cheers.

Len J
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
if someone passed you on the highway on your right while you were in the left lane, would you chase them down?

No, but if I'm riding along on my bike on a road with not much shoulder, and a rider comes up suddenly and passes me on the right (which is totally unexpected), without warning, he runs the risk of either bumping me if he's an erratic wheel (remember I have no clue he is coming), or at worst surprising me. Either way it's dangerous.

If I'm in a 2 lane roadand someone passes me in the right lane....it's a little different don't ya think.

Len

Fixed
10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
bro washington is one hip place
and some messengers are immortal
cheers imho

csm
10-03-2007, 09:12 PM
len, yes it is a little different.

Orin
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
cheers imho

Then there are those that come up alongside and put an hand/arm on your shoulder to steady themselves while they look back. Take it as a compliment - they only do it with riders they trust.

As for passing on the right. It depends on the group you are with. Some leaders around here prohibit it. I don't get upset, but it surprises me if someone does pass on the right without calling it. I prefer "Inside" rather than "on yer right", but that's just for historical reasons.

Orin.

t. swartz
10-03-2007, 10:02 PM
i pass on the left after some brake lever slaps-they get too preoccupied and careless looking around for the strange voice... :confused:

djg
10-04-2007, 06:28 AM

Wait ... you mean znfndl does this sort of thing with everybody? I mean ... he bumped me a couple of times the very first time we rode together. I thought it meant I was special ... like, cute or something. No? :confused:

Too Tall
10-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Wait ... you mean znfndl does this sort of thing with everybody? I mean ... he bumped me a couple of times the very first time we rode together. I thought it meant I was special ... like, cute or something. No? :confused:
Oh so he's cheating on me too? What a fink.

sspielman
10-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Speaking of moving through tight spaces....around these parts we have a local racing legend-Bobby Phillips. Bobby is one of the best bike handlers in the world. In a race, he uses a gentle tap of his hand to trigger people's instincts to move a little...and it enables him to move around the pack wherever he wants...the dude is a blast to ride with...If you want to move through a tight bunch, get 1 cm behind Bobby's wheel and don't budge!

flydhest
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
bro washington is one hip place
and some messengers are immortal
cheers imho

and you didn't look me up when you were here???

Fixed
10-04-2007, 07:58 AM
don't worry bro i 'm coming back next summer
cheers and thanks