PDA

View Full Version : fenders under campy caliper brakes

dave1215
10-03-2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=413405996&context=set-72157594575273736&size=l

can this be functional? do we now have alternatives to long reach calipers on fender fit?

mschol17
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
If you search the image gallery you'll find a Curt Goodrich that also fits fenders with short reach brakes. I would expect that most custom builders would be able to make it work, but you won't get it to work on a production bike. Why?

Look at the photo and you'll notice the brake pad is at the absolute bottom of the slot. Have you ever seen a production bike that has pads anywhere other than the middle of the slot? Even my Gunnar, which is designed for "long-reach" brakes ends up with the pads in the middle.

old_school
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
freakin' elegant, but you are limited to 700x23

River City ReachArounds (http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=1105&page_id=58) are another option with short reach calipers

Too Tall
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
That Vanilla looks BA. Love seeing fenders very close the tyre circumference, that's hot!

FWIIW I use River City brackets and they are just perfect too.

mschol17
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I also use ReachArounds. If you do, only use them with plastic fenders, because they will eventually break with heavier SS fenders (I speak from experience).

Alexi
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I've used short reach with honjo 35's on a mid 80's Italian bike. only would fit 23's however

vaxn8r
10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I've done it. It works OK but there is little room for error. They are difficult to set up correctly. You will get fender slap going over road imperfections and if you ride over mud or clay, and especially leafs, all will get stuck in between the fender and wheel.

Looks cool but not the best choice for winter riding, unless that's all you got ATMO.

Marcusaurelius
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I use fenders and 700x25 tires with campagnolo calipers without any problems. Of course I only know of one carbon front fork that's made for short reach brakes and fender eyelets. A custom steel fork should be no problem.

Orin
10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Look at the photo and you'll notice the brake pad is at the absolute bottom of the slot. Have you ever seen a production bike that has pads anywhere other than the middle of the slot? Even my Gunnar, which is designed for "long-reach" brakes ends up with the pads in the middle.

Depends what you mean by "production". My Rambouillet has the pads at the bottom of "long-reach" brakes.

Stock Rapid Tours did too with short reach brakes.

Orin.

Peter P.
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
It may look cool but my experience with fenders and dual pivot brakes is, when the brake is actuated it flexes the fender off-center. If you already have minimal clearances like in the Vanilla photo, your tire may rub the fender when the brake is actuated.

On my bike with normal reach brakes set about mid-slot, the fender flexes but it doesn't rub my 700x23 tire. I had to set the fender slightly off-center though. This is not and issue with single pivot brakes and of course, cantilevers or V-brakes.

Orin
10-03-2007, 10:09 PM
It may look cool but my experience with fenders and dual pivot brakes is, when the brake is actuated it flexes the fender off-center. If you already have minimal clearances like in the Vanilla photo, your tire may rub the fender when the brake is actuated.

Ah, the advantage of metal fenders - put a dent in them where the caliper hits it. Hopefully the dent doesn't hit the tire.

What I don't like is the fender that is just close enough to the brake to rattle against it every time you hit a bump.

I had a Freddy Fender that refused to run straight in front of the front brake. I took the wheel out, turned the bike upside down, held the fender where I wanted it and blasted it under the brake with a heat gun on low until my fingers could take no more (the hot air channels along the fender)! Nice and straight now :)

Orin.

mschol17
10-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Depends what you mean by "production". My Rambouillet has the pads at the bottom of "long-reach" brakes.

Stock Rapid Tours did too with short reach brakes.

Orin.

You're right... I mean production that doesn't think about fenders or clearances.