PDA

View Full Version : Serottafolks Visit

dbrk
07-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Today I met a friend of ours, known on our Forum as D. Keith Arbuckle from Florida. His lovely, lovely family---wife and three daughters---stopped in at my house this afternoon to visit with Madeleine, Charlotte, Aimee, and Mira the Dog; oh yeah, they came to see me too and that was really nice of them. They were really fun, easy going, and, for the most part, laughed at my jokes and played with my dog till she panted from exhaustion (no mean feat given this dog's pedigree of whippet and borzoi...). She loved them, they loved her. Keith's daughter Amy declared Mira the Silkenwindhound to be "the perfect dog." Great pooch, great kid. Summer has it wonders.

Keith rode my Fina, though we had to fuss with it some to dial in the fit. Finas use some stupit [sic] seatpost diameter and the WR Composti pillar has this two bolt system that makes finding the sweet setup spot a task somewhere between a long day in Dante's Purgatory and the stress riser common to old Campy NR/SR cranks that nearly killed you but didn't...I mean, yikes! Only a minor hassle. But we got him on the bike and he looked darn good. Waaaay better than I look on that bike. Keith's verdict was that the Pegoretti is a fine ride. He was heard to have said, "this is actually a comfortable aluminum bike..."

Of course, Keith did most of the talking out on the ride, that is when I could keep his wheel and my breath. He hadn't been out for a ride for nearly two weeks (they are on vacation...) and since he's from Florida he loves, misses, wants to climb. Jonesin' for a ride and tuned like Yo Yo Ma's cello, this guy could turn a wheel in anger in a way to make Phil proud. Furthermore this Florida fella' (like our Russ) is no flatlander, he's one fast dude, and he's fit and skinny, and dang, every single incline (not even hill) provided sufficient provocation to get him out of the saddle and humpin' like Lance. I felt like Mayo just sucking his wheel and hoping for a reprieve. He was kind enough to sit up once or twice but for the most part I held my own and kept a fair pace. We had a fine time, just under two hours out (or maybe just over), but a fairly enthusiastic pace that would have been an inspiration even to our pal Hypnos, who this fella' reminded me a lot of: fit, hammering the hills, good natured enough not to drop his mates. This ride "normally" takes over two hours. Honest. Not today.

Keith seemed to enjoy the basement too. We pulled down a slew of bikes. I pointed out a ton of old, weird stuff (things like 4 speed Cyclo derailleurs are not things you see often even in old bike shops...), and he brought his video camera back down there while I cooked dinner. Gotta' feed'em, you know, my mother is Italian (of the Jersey immigrant variety, somewhere between Corleone and Soprano but without the guns...), so I cooked till we were fed. While Keith and I rode eariler, the girls picked black raspberries, walked around the ponds, and played with il cane.

But at the near end of the night I drove Keith's very sweet and fun loving daughters around the yard (about 50 acres) on my redneck ATV to show them our sights, including the lane in the woods I call "firefly alley." Here there are millions of the little lamps all lighting up to greet you---and Keithe's sweetie daughters had never seen such things before. Can you imagine the first time you really got to hang with fireflies? How good is that? It was fun to be part of that experience. We zoomed about like Green Acres hillbillies and it 'twas All That, I say.

My gratitude again to Ben and Co. because without _this_ place, this experience of friendship would have never happened. I got to meet a fine and truly interesting fellow, his wonderful family, and have them meet my girls. We talked life and food and bikes and normal stuff.

If you come by the Finger Lakes, do stop in here. Serottafolks have, to the last, proven themselves really fine people.

dbrk

Climb01742
07-14-2004, 08:58 AM
fireflies are one of my favorite things in life. is there anything more magical than a field full of them? i can still vividly remember the first time, as a kid, i saw them. in japanese mythology, fireflies are the souls of the dead flying off to the afterlife. douglas, you are a lucky man to have land where they still live. so much farmland has been lost, and when we lose fireflies on a summer night, life losses some of its wonder. you done good to buy the land and give nature a safe, protected place to work its magic.

dbrk
07-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Climb, thanks for the kind words. Serottafolk are most welcome to visit here and once it is cyclocross time, well, there are plenty of trails well-groomed too.

Keith A. and I are, for all intents and purposes, the same height but an interesting study in the differences in proportion. We lowered my saddle more than 5cm for him and while we swapped out stems, we likely didn't need to do that: we went with Keith's 9cm (I think) for the normal Ritchey 12cm. This Fina is a 55cm with 40mm of ht extension, built in that feurler (sp?) style of shrinking the diamond. I think Keith would not have stood over my 59s or 60s. When Keith saw me on my bike he said with plain honesty that I looked "normal" or right, that my long legs and long arms make me look right on a bike as large as the IF 60cm I rode yesterday. This from a guy who appreciates oldschool but who knows what modern looks like. Anyway, it was an interesting study. Keith might have liked the bars a bit lower on my bike but he looked right to me and the Campy Record levers have more reach than STI so he looked properly stretched out to me too.

Two guys looking at each other in the eye and the fit was pretty darn different. Pretty interesting.

dbrk

Keith A
07-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi dbrk & gang,

Let me first say that Douglas is one of the most gracious and genuine people I have had the pleasure to meet. His hospitality is almost overwhelming, yet at the same time making you feel like part of the family. He made sure my family was happy while we talked bikes and went for an outstanding ride in the beautiful hills around his home.

My family talked about Douglas and his family on the ride to the motel room in Rochester; and my girls had a wonderful time and stated on many occasions what a nice guy Douglas was -- my youngest daughter really liked the "souvenirs" and declared that she "liked Douglas". They were also trying to figure out a way that they could take Mira home with them -- even though we have a big yard, I told them I thought Mira would miss the freedom of roaming around the lovely country side at her home.

Once we got on the bike, not only did Douglas adjust the Fina to get me completely comfortable (loosing some blood in the process), he even let me make it to the top first on most of the climbs. The Fina performed like a champ on the hills and changed my opinion about never riding an aluminum frame.

In addition to all of his other skills, Douglas is a fantastic cook. In the time it took me to get his parts back on the Fina, he had whipped up a scrumptious Italian meal. My middle daughter even stated today at lunchtime that she was still full from last night’s dinner.

As mentioned, we have been on vacation (which is why there haven't been any posts from me in quite some time) and we have seen some wonderful sights including Acadia National Park in Maine, the beautiful coast in Cape Elizabeth, Watkins Glen in NY -- but visiting with Douglas was indeed one of the highlights of our trip and I do look forward to returning again.

I too am grateful for this forum that brought two families together that live more than a 1000 miles away that certainly would not have otherwise met.

There is much more I’d like to say, but I have to be getting back to the business of vacationing.