PDA

View Full Version : Ode to my Concours

Elefantino
10-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm stuck at work because all my roads home are flooded.

So … about my Concours. It had its first "real" ride this past weekend, at Six Gap.

One word: Wow.

An incredibly big thanks to Ben, Kelly and the rest for designing and building the most incredible, stable, comfortable, responsive and just plain fun bike I've ever ridden. They didn't build it for me, but the stock geometry makes it feel as though they did. Perfect.

I can't climb, usually. I have only one good leg. But I climbed Hogpen in less than an hour. For me, that was amazing. And then I hit 50.2 mph descending the backside, never for a moment feeling out of control or skittish.

I kept thinking, as I was going up and down the mountains, how different it felt from the CSI, or the Atlanta, or any other bike I've owned. It just felt so intuitive. I rode the CSI up some mountains in France but never felt the power to the pedals that I felt with the Concours.

I'm sure there are people with clearer heads who will tell me that there is zip/zilch/nada difference between the CSI and the Concours, or that the difference is in my mind, etc.

Whatever. Now I know, really know, more than I did before, why people pay for quality on two wheels, and why people on this board are so loyal.

My next Serotta will be bought new. I now know that it's worth it.

Onno
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I've always felt the same way about my 2000 stock Concours. Fits me perfectly. I remember my first ride on it, and especially how utterly stable it was on a fast descent. I haven't bought a bike since, though I've ridden a few demo Serottas that were lighter (but not any more stable). I still love the bike; the best sizeable wad money I ever spent!

Onno

vaxn8r
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm stuck at work because all my roads home are flooded.

So … about my Concours. It had its first "real" ride this past weekend, at Six Gap.

One word: Wow.

An incredibly big thanks to Ben, Kelly and the rest for designing and building the most incredible, stable, comfortable, responsive and just plain fun bike I've ever ridden. They didn't build it for me, but the stock geometry makes it feel as though they did. Perfect.

I can't climb, usually. I have only one good leg. But I climbed Hogpen in less than an hour. For me, that was amazing. And then I hit 50.2 mph descending the backside, never for a moment feeling out of control or skittish.

I kept thinking, as I was going up and down the mountains, how different it felt from the CSI, or the Atlanta, or any other bike I've owned. It just felt so intuitive. I rode the CSI up some mountains in France but never felt the power to the pedals that I felt with the Concours.

I'm sure there are people with clearer heads who will tell me that there is zip/zilch/nada difference between the CSI and the Concours, or that the difference is in my mind, etc.

Whatever. Now I know, really know, more than I did before, why people pay for quality on two wheels, and why people on this board are so loyal.

My next Serotta will be bought new. I now know that it's worth it.

I told the same tale many times over comparing my 1997 stock Atlanta to my 2002 stock Legend. No comparo. Not in the same ballpark. The only similarities were the geos were exactly the same and they were both pretty to look at.

Atlanta=hard work. Legend=No chain.

Ahneida Ride
10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
The "Legend/Concours" is surely a candiate for the best all around bike !

I love mine !!!! ;)

ericspin
10-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I have a great curiosity about what makes certain frames _right_. My IF has turned out to be that bike for me. Just feel like I can do no wrong on it. Road...dirt...flat...climbing...group ride...alone...it just doesn't matter. It makes me afraid to buy/build another bike for fear that it won't _have it_. Elefantino, glad you found that bike for you. I need to hook up with you (maybe PM) as I am getting ready to start a project for VW in Jax and will be there for about a year. I know you are in that area and thought maybe you could hook me up with some good routes. I am going to be just off 295 north of 10.

Eric

93legendti
10-03-2007, 07:09 AM
I bought a Concours Demo Deal in May. Really nice bike.

Elefantino
10-03-2007, 07:56 AM
I have a great curiosity about what makes certain frames _right_. My IF has turned out to be that bike for me. Just feel like I can do no wrong on it. Road...dirt...flat...climbing...group ride...alone...it just doesn't matter. It makes me afraid to buy/build another bike for fear that it won't _have it_. Elefantino, glad you found that bike for you. I need to hook up with you (maybe PM) as I am getting ready to start a project for VW in Jax and will be there for about a year. I know you are in that area and thought maybe you could hook me up with some good routes. I am going to be just off 295 north of 10.

Eric
Cool! PM pending.

Geoff
10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Couldnt agree more.

Last year I rode my Atlanta at 6 Gap in the rain and it felt good. This year I rode my Legend and it felt great!

Hog Pen in about 49 min and 53mph on the back side. Could have gone faster and would have, but there were a few folks in front that I couldnt get around in time. I believe Mr Jerk once said that the Legend was the best privateer bike out there (he may not still think so).

There is no comparison between the Legend and the Atlanta, the Legend is better in every aspect except astetics.

I saw a few other riders on Serottas, My Legend is Ti with black decals.

Geoff, so glad the weather was nice this year.

RABikes2
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
My Legend is Ti with black decals.

Sounds like a huge crowd from Tallahassee attended 6-Gap and all had a great time. The weather was an improvement over last year, I'm sure. ;)
I'd enjoy seeing your Serotta's sometime; please stop by the shop if you're in the area. (I ride a Legend Ti w/ black decals, too.)
RA
Congrats on 6-Gap, Mike (Elefantino) and Geoff!

OldDog
10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics

Elefantino
10-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Couldnt agree more.

Last year I rode my Atlanta at 6 Gap in the rain and it felt good. This year I rode my Legend and it felt great!

Hog Pen in about 49 min and 53mph on the back side. Could have gone faster and would have, but there were a few folks in front that I couldnt get around in time. I believe Mr Jerk once said that the Legend was the best privateer bike out there (he may not still think so).

There is no comparison between the Legend and the Atlanta, the Legend is better in every aspect except astetics.

I saw a few other riders on Serottas, My Legend is Ti with black decals.

Wow. Nothing like beating me by nine minutes on the upside and 3 p.m. on the downside.

Maybe I need a Legend instead. :D

benb
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
My concours is pretty close to perfect too.

Since this is the first year I've had it (got it June 1st) I'm only closing in on 2000 miles and I'm not totally "set" with it yet, if only cause I've had real saddle issues this year.

But most of the feelings in this thread I can echo.

My one possible thing I can say is the bike can actually be pretty harsh over frost heaves, which I unfortunately have too many of in my area. At some point I think I may change over to a conventional wheelset.. that seems to help on frost heave type bumps. The bike still seems to have a weird "bounce" over the frost heaves which makes it a little better then some past bikes I've had where it was really a hard hit.

It could just be my tires too.. I'm running Michelin Krylions.. I've never run them before on a past bike.

I haven't gotten to do as much real long distance as I've wanted.. but I did do a 110 miler and the difference in back/neck comfort as well as speed at the end of the ride was noticeable.

The main thing that is making me go "Woah" with respect to the bike is it's pretty much eliminated the "It's fall... time to MTB" effect... I just want to keep riding on the road.

Elefantino
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Very early, at the top of Neels Gap.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/meneelsgap.jpg

Struggling up Hogpen. What just under an hour feels like. I am not, for the record, smiling.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/mehogpen.jpg

Woody Gap and the four amigos. This time we are smiling — because 12 miles of downhill is ahead.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/uswoody.jpg

Geoff
10-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow. Nothing like beating me by nine minutes on the upside and 3 p.m. on the downside.

Maybe I need a Legend instead. :D

Well, it looks like you clearly need a lighter frame since that is what is most important.

E, the pics look great and 53 was the fastest i have gone on a bike and it felt great. Those PR2 25s corner great.

I am haveing difficulty uplaoding pics. but trust me I looked great!

We watched the tour de GA on Hog pen the last year lance road and He was leading out TommyD, Levi, Floyd, and Bobby J up the section where the first aid station was at between 15-17 mph, so my 6-7 mph gives me clairity beyond myself as to why I and an engineer and not a pro.

RA I will try to get by some time.

Geoff