PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum Ti

93legendti
10-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Thinking about a Spectrum Ti...I have never read a bad word about Spectrum or Tom here, so I expect a pretty cool bike. Do most people go for his preferred 10 degree slope?

coylifut
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Thinking about a Spectrum Ti...I have never read a bad word about Spectrum or Tom here, so I expect a pretty cool bike. Do most people go for his preferred 10 degree slope?

yeah, 10 degree slope is what mine came with. i didn't ask a lot of questions though. i arrived at "the barn" and my current bike was on a computrainer like thing and he sat on the ground while I pedaled it. he messed with my shoes a bit, lowered my saddle, told me that my bars needed to come up 1 cm and out 1 cm.

when my complete bike showed up (on time I might add) my foot didn't hurt anymore nor my lower back. that was about 5 years ago and aside from my commuter, i haven't ridden another road bike since.

Fixed
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
they made my fork it's nicer than my bike
imho cheers

bro you must have a gem of a wife

swoop
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
personal theory.. i think 7 degrees is the magic number? why.. because it mirrors (ish) the angle of an 80 degree stem and follows the slope of the underside of a level saddle.
ahh harmony.

unless you are using slope to move the bars up high... because your not able to assume the position.. then its really a matter of what slope gets you there. i think you want to avoid what the nice fellow with the fierte ti is going through in the gallery... that one just doesn't make any sense. there's no reason to have a ton of seat post and 5cm of spacers.... the the angles dont add up to the contact points.

atmo (seriously atmo.. just my opinion at work). frankly, mr. k is the shiznit.. i'd surrender completely to his whims.

palincss
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM

I got mine in 1991, long before anyone started making "slopers"; mine has a horizontal top tube. Tom was great to work with - really understood what I wanted - and I know he learned a lot by studying me on our (most delightful) test ride in the area near The Barn.

SadieKate
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I believe he can design whatever makes sense for performance, fit, function and aesthetics. I don't like sloping top tubes but they have their uses. The TT of my new Spectrum has a 2 degree slope which isn't noticeable. I asked Tom for a bike that gave me the comfort of ti, with better acceleration than my old Tuscany, lots of stability for long rides and descents, and custom aesthetics. Pure and simple, he delivered and then some. Give him a call. Best way to find out his approach.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=33037&highlight=kellogg

manet
10-02-2007, 03:15 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/Spectrum21.jpg

Too Tall
10-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know about that Tom guy however his dog is pretty loveable ;)

All kidding aside, he is one of the finest designers. You probably noted that a common comment is his ability to size up riders and design great bikes. My crit bike was the first bike that I have ever raced that really disappeared under me...pretty remarkable.

The love don't stop there, he happens to lay down the best paint jobs in the biz. Maybe it is his passion or he just can't live with bad paint??? Who knows? I've seen some very amazing simple paint jobs that you have to look close to really understand how good it is. Did that make sense?

Just my opinion...I think T.K. has worked harder and longer on the fine points of how and why ti bikes work so well and in particular sloping tt ti bikes. You could not convince me to own one based on looks alone. After talking to Tom it made sense "why" these bikes work so well. You be the judge.

znfdl
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM

93:

I rode my bike 2,400 miles in 17 days. No neck, shoulder or lower back pain. Enu'f said. I think mine is a 10 degree slope.

chrisroph
10-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Mine is one of the best bikes I have ever owned, it truly is a keeper. I've had my steel spectrum for 20 years and it still is one of my very favorite rides. I expect to keep the ti for at least that long.

Pete Serotta
10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
and Tom cooks some great RIBs........ :D

manet
10-02-2007, 06:15 PM

!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0ij6zczfo !!

Ken Robb
10-02-2007, 06:19 PM
That's great news---I can afford ribs. :)

Ray
10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
You probably noted that a common comment is his ability to size up riders and design great bikes. My crit bike was the first bike that I have ever raced that really disappeared under me...pretty remarkable.

I could not be a more different rider than Too Tall and my ti Spectrum couldn't be further from a crit bike, but my reaction was exactly the same - WHAT bike? Handles exactly the way I wanted only I didn't know it before hand - it was just that far beyond what I knew was possible that I couldn't have articulated it. I liked it so much I got second one with slightly more relaxed geometry and behavior (and more clearance, S&S couplers, and no paint) and asked for a slightly different ride. Tom nailed that one too.

I may have to get a steel one someday because I like steel bikes too but my Spectrums (er, Spectra) have made my other bikes second class citizens that don't get many miles. Just to have a pretty steel bike that rides as well as the ti cousins. Tom has otherwise killed my bike lust though - I just can't imagine wanting a bike that doesn't handle like one of these puppies.

-Ray

chrisroph
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
i want a zanc cross.

Kahuna
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm a fan of the 10º TK sloper. I think it looks pretty schwing :)

http://www.bikefanclub.com/images/DSC01225t.jpg

davids
10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
personal theory.. i think 7 degrees is the magic number? why.. because it mirrors (ish) the angle of an 80 degree stem and follows the slope of the underside of a level saddle.
ahh harmony.
I think yer on to something there, headshrinker. 10 degrees looks too extreme to my eye. I think my Nove is 6.5 degrees...

swoop
10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I think yer on to something there, headshrinker. 10 degrees looks too extreme to my eye. I think my Nove is 6.5 degrees...

it's a harm thing. he designed my rig that way... has his custom litespeeds a few years back that way.... it all made sense when i looked at his.
kahunas is an old fave though.. love that thing.

vaxn8r
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
....kahunas is an old fave though.. love that thing.
Me too.

pdxmech13
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I am a big fan of the 6-7 slope if you need to get yer bars up there.
goes well with 84 degree stems.......although im' paid to say this as i
have two bikes with this shiite geo.

cadence90
10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
6º or less tt slope lets you keep road (+/-250mm) seatpost length in most cases.
10º = mtb post length territory for many frames.

But all the Kellogg geo I've seen is really elegant.

coylifut
10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Kahuna's bike looks timeless. Especially compared to what the carbon bikes have morphed into. When the DeRosa Idol came out, I wanted one. However, it now looks so last year.

davids
10-03-2007, 05:48 AM
it's a harm thing. he designed my rig that way... has his custom litespeeds a few years back that way.... it all made sense when i looked at his.
kahunas is an old fave though.. love that thing.
Kahuna's bike is a beauty, true. It helps that it's a bigger frame. I think if you or I got a 10 degree sloper, it would look like a BMX frame...

Tom Kellogg
10-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Kahuna's bike is a beauty, true. It helps that it's a bigger frame. I think if you or I got a 10 degree sloper, it would look like a BMX frame...

Stop it, Stop it, Stop it! My wife knows all too well that my head is too big already. Just stop it. :rolleyes:

David; you are right, smaller compact frames do look like BMX bikes when you give them enough slope. Those of you who have seen mine know what I mean. Mine is effectively a 54.5*58.5. Even though I have been riding compacts for ten years now, I still think the smaller ones look pretty silly. (mine included) The problem for me is that I love the way they work. Please don't ask me for an explanation again, I just love riding them ...

93legendti
10-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I could not be a more different rider than Too Tall and my ti Spectrum couldn't be further from a crit bike, but my reaction was exactly the same - WHAT bike? Handles exactly the way I wanted only I didn't know it before hand - it was just that far beyond what I knew was possible that I couldn't have articulated it. I liked it so much I got second one with slightly more relaxed geometry and behavior (and more clearance, S&S couplers, and no paint) and asked for a slightly different ride. Tom nailed that one too.

I may have to get a steel one someday because I like steel bikes too but my Spectrums (er, Spectra) have made my other bikes second class citizens that don't get many miles. Just to have a pretty steel bike that rides as well as the ti cousins. Tom has otherwise killed my bike lust though - I just can't imagine wanting a bike that doesn't handle like one of these puppies.

-Ray
Ray, is a photo of your coupled Spectrum in the Image Gallery?

Too Tall
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Actually it was Kahuna's paint scheme I used or rather Tom used to create the team theme...BOY do I get compliments :) Tom won't explain the "why" it feels so good but I will chime in brief. Just for a moment think about how much less mass a guy with bike frames my size are reduced thru design of a bike like Tom's sloper. Got the picture? Weelllll the second I got my fanny out of the saddle for the first ride on the Spectrum it all because very clear...holy smokes talk about snappy :) Ah hooo ah.

Ray
10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Ray, is a photo of your coupled Spectrum in the Image Gallery?
No, but small pictures of both of them are at the bottom of this post:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=303148&postcount=29

The unpainted, coupled one isn't wearing fenders or a Brooks at the moment. And, yeah, I know the saddles point up.

-Ray

93legendti
10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
No, but small pictures of both of them are at the bottom of this post:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=303148&postcount=29

The unpainted, coupled one isn't wearing fenders or a Brooks at the moment. And, yeah, I know the saddles point up.

-Ray

Thanks. Tom and I talked today...let the games begin. :)

old_school
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Sweet ... congratulations!

Please post pics upon delivery

rnhood
10-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Good move. Does this mean a trip to the barn?

93legendti
10-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Good move. Does this mean a trip to the barn?

No, as I suggested to a forumite in a PM, it is a hop, skip and a plane ride away. It does mean many emails and phone calls. :D

Too Tall
10-05-2007, 06:45 AM
LUCKY BOY :)

Fixed
10-05-2007, 06:50 AM
LUCKY BOY :)
and a smart cat too
cheers imho

manet
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
i'm more than willing to go to the barn instead. maybe norman will come, and he can help bury a 55 gal drum of nuke'lure goo outback. bring a spade norm.

dirtdigger88
10-05-2007, 07:48 AM
i'm more than willing to go to the barn instead. maybe norman will come, and he can help bury a 55 gal drum of nuke'lure goo outback. bring a spade norm.

use a full steel spade- they are much much better than those goofey wooden handled things you see in the big box stores-

oh sure you have a slightly greater chance of electric shock- but that only hurts for a minute-

http://www.simbles.com/images2003/19650520.JPG

Jason

OldDog
10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
No, as I suggested to a forumite in a PM, it is a hop, skip and a plane ride away. It does mean many emails and phone calls. :D

I live only an hour from Tom. If you like, I'll skip down there for you for a sizing. If your not completely satisfied, maybe I can buy it off you cheap? We really need to discuss colors....

Too Tall
10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I live only an hour from Tom. If you like, I'll skip down there for you for a sizing. If your not completely satisfied, maybe I can buy it off you cheap? We really need to discuss colors....

Perhaps the most selfless offer ever in the history of this forum. :rolleyes:
Can I possibly relieve you of that heavy load my friend? I think I might be there sooner than you...afterall ;)

znfdl
10-05-2007, 08:16 AM
93:

We ride similar sized bikes. I will go in your place to the barn. I need a fram re-painted so this will give me a good excuse to scratch colby behind the ears.

93legendti
10-05-2007, 08:25 AM

You know, this guy beat you to the punch by minutes:

DEAR FRIEND,

HOW ARE YOU TODAY?. IN A BRIEF,I AM MR FAROUK KASEEM HAMITOUR, I AM 22 YEARS OLD.
I AM A BORN CITIZEN OF QVANDO IN PORTO-NOVO (COTONOU)REPUBLIQUE DU BENIN IN AFRICA.
I AM THE ONLY CHILD OF MY PARENT.

I HAVE SOME CASH THAT VALUED US$7.5M, FROM MY LATE FATHER.

I WANT TO TRANSFER THIS FUNDS TO YOUR COUNTRY SO THAT I CAN INVEST IT ON ANY PROFITABLE BUSINESS.

I AM READY TO OFFER YOU 20% FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE AND YOU WILL ASSIST INVEST PART OF THE FUNDS.

IF YOU ARE INTRESTED KINDLY CONTACT ME THROUGH MY
PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS:faroukkh02@yahoo.it
SO THAT I CAN GIVE YOU MORE DETAIL,

BEST REGARDS.
FAROUK HAMITOUR.

He seems trustworthy. Maybe next time...

93legendti
10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
93:

We ride similar sized bikes. I will go in your place to the barn. I need a fram re-painted so this will give me a good excuse to scratch colby behind the ears.

No! No! I am allergic to dogs! Or do you mean Colby Pearce?

palincss
10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
93:

Tom came to a Potomac Pedalers annual meeting a few years ago and talked about fitting a customer of his who was exactly the same size as him -- only where Tom was flexible, this customer was inflexible. Result: bikes were completely different. It was most interesting, and I hope he elaborates here.

crossjunkee
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
10 works for me! Ignore the nasty silver tape, I'm rollin' white now.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17968