PDA

View Full Version : Decent cycling jersy...

Dekonick
07-13-2004, 09:29 PM
I havent bought a jersey in a few years... Went to the LBS to look and was amazed at the changes (went looking cuz of nother post... I usually use my stuff until it falls apart)

I remember Canari being junk - Their stuff felt pretty good! -
Nike never made stuff before - it also seemed not bad
I exclusively used Pearl Izumi before, but for the cost I am not sure its worth it. Just got a set of C dale bibs (10 pannel) and they are quite nice!

Anyone else find this to be the case?

I prefer buying clothing from my LBS, but they dont have alot of choice... other than Trek stuff there isnt much to pick from. (overpriced too! University logo jerseys almost $90 at LBS, $70 at other online places. I dont mind paying for stuff, but I dont like getting 'taken to the cleaners' :D

Just was pleased at the quality of the non logo stuff is all... makes me think a 20-30 buck jersey is actually quality product now!

Tell me this: Why does it cost more to ADVERTISE for someone than to buy a plain jersey?

USPS jersey = close to $90
same manufacturer w/o any team junk = $20 less.

Think about it!

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2004, 10:13 PM
. . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . eBay . . . ;)

BBDave

Bill Bove
07-14-2004, 05:15 AM
USPS charges Nike a lot for the right to sell any product with their logo on it. Trek no longer offers a USPS team bike, same paint scheme minus the logo. Dumb move, the team was their best ever PR. Same with the collegiate jersey, merchandising fee's. Most LBS's are small, one location operations where as the mail order houses sell across the country, they can aford to sell for much less and make up for it in volume.

LBS vs mail order/ebay will be an argument as long Campy-Shimano. I fall into the LBS camp for many reasons.

Too Tall
07-14-2004, 05:37 AM
Dekonick, plan a trip to Trexlertown, PA for their fall swap meet. You will find oodles of piles mounded on reams of clothing and other stuff at REAL prices!

Dekonick
07-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Cool! When is that? (I assume you will post the date when its close?)

Yeah; I try to buy everything from the LBS - even when I see an online deal I go ask the LBS if they can get close. If they do I buy from them.

Now that I have a friend who owns his own shop, I try to buy there only.

He doesnt carry much in the way of clothing tho. :D

Ken Robb
07-15-2004, 02:00 PM
I have a few Performance brand jerseys that I bought at several of their frequent sales so I'm sure I never paid more than $20-25 for any f them. They are as good as any other "plastic" wear. I also have some Wool jerseys from Rivendell and Ibex that cost $75-80 and they are a whole different category. I prefer them except when it's 80 degrees or more. The wool is still fine at those temps but the artificial stuff is good then too. The only logoed stuff I have I got as gifts from folks who thought it was cool. I would feel as silly wearing a team jersey as I would walking around in a Yankee "game" shirt. It's equally obvious to all that I'm no more a racer than a pro ballplayer so who would I be kiding.

gt6267a
07-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Don't make me cry about the Trexlertown swap meet. About 2 years ago:

it was getting late in the afternoon and i see an lbs "booth" in the infield selling a Spectrum with steel fork and ultegra groupo for $800. it was the bike of customer who wanted something a bit smaller, it had less than 500 miles, and looked like it was in perfect shape.

I was riding a lemond Z at the time and didn't have the cash for a second bike. curious, i tell the guy i'm going home to get a helmet, shoes, and pedals and will probably be back. i go home, get my stuff, and decide on the way back if it fits, i'll sell the Z on e-bay ...

in the parking lot, i see the bike. i ask the guy what he paid, and he says $650. the seller was desperate to get ride of it for his customer and it is late in the afternoon. i ride the bike around the parking lot. of course, it fits like a glove. i offer him $800 in the parking lot and get rejected.

ARGH! that was soooooo wrong. my fault that i did not tell the orginal seller to hang on to it, but damn that sucked.

to be clear, this was an extreme deal. there are good deals to be had at t-town, but not that good. anyway, that is my one that got away story.

ultimately, i will second too tall's recommendation. The fall swap meet kicks some serious booty. Lots of interesting action. From new product to used stuff. Most of the time I just buy stuff, but last year I actually swapped something! Examples:

Bell helmet: $40, originally $80
PI Sierra Nevada : late in the day $25, originally $45 at the meet.
PI Sierra Nevada long sleeve : $50
Veloce Crank w/ rings : $25
Trade Veloce Crank* and $20 for Record 39 small ring and 7-speed 105 brifters.

if anyone is going this year, i'll meet you over there. i'll show you the site of the sad spectrum mishap and the place i crashed on the track.

* I went to the swap-meet wanting a 39 front ring. No one seemed to have a campy 39, so I bought the Veloce crankset for the rings. my friend wanted the 7-speed brifters and it so happened that the same seller had a 39 ...