PDA

View Full Version : Feedback request from my fellow formites on a couple of things.

handsomerob
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
First, I am planning on having my Serotta Club Special repainted in the coming months and it seems that the overwhelming majority of folks think going back to the original color is the best idea. I am almost convinced, but I am a big fan of panel paint jobs as well. Does anyone remember any panel paint jobs on Serottas in the mid-80's.... any pictures? I have considered a mix of the original color and maybe some panels but I don't think that would look very good.

Second, I just scored a cool stem for after it gets the new paint job. It has Serotta etched in it (as seen below) and is very subtle (you see it clearly in the picture, but in certain light it is barely visible). I certainly like it just like it is, but I was wondering if it would look better if the etched part was black, like all the engravings will be on the frame (as seen in the seat stay).

Can laser etching be "colored"? Is this normally done? Anyone know if it would come out looking like that was the original intention?

here are some more pictures of the bike:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26678

Hardlyrob
10-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I think you could paint that frame with a silver or white panel on the seat tube, and the same for the head tube against the original color and it would look great. I remember seeing paneled Serottas in the late 80's, but don't have any pictures. As I recall they were classic panels - i.e. blue frame, white seat tube panel, white head tube with painted lugs a la e-Richie.

HTH.

Rob

trophyoftexas
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
...but the minimalist look of that frame is really nice! My Ottrott is pretty "blingy" and I do like it but probably my favorite bike I own is the one with the most plan looking paint job. Maybe do something with your cables to bring just a little color to the project, like picking up some of the yellow in the lettering. dbrk did that with the Sachs that I got from him and EVERYONE that has seen that bike has like it! Think about that. The bottle holder on that Sachs would look great on that frame of yours,too!

http://www.trophyoftexas.com/about/1984_richard_sachs.htm

Pete Serotta
10-02-2007, 04:28 PM
There is no "bad" answer. Paint it the way you want.

Panels are nice as is the original BLUE_BAD BOY BLUE with YELLOW DECALS> THey still have the color it is now even.

I am a minimalist and too conservative BUT then that is the era I got old in :D

PETE

Peter P.
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
In your case, I think the "monochromatic" look would work well.

For instance, you can retain your original color and have the panels a much darker shade of, what is that-violet/plum/purple/eggplant/blue? I don't think you want to go overboard because too much of a good thing can kill the concept, therefore I would go for just a downtube panel-maybe a seat tube panel, but no more. And I wouldn't go with yellow decals; I would go with white, and complete the theme with white cables, bartape, and bottle cages. Then I would avoid black in the components as it would take away from the color. Lastly, the engraved portions of the frame should match the colors of the panels to tie it all together.

Also, white, silver, or gold panels are always good choices because they complement ANY color, but the SHADE of silver or gold should be chosen to match the primary color; white would not be as fussy. This is where an artistic eye comes in handy.

Don't use black on the stem lettering. If you can't get it to match the panel colors on a new paint scheme, then leave it alone. Black doesn't go well with the original frame color.

In fact, the original color would match with panels in the current color "Aubergine",
http://www.serotta.com/pages/colors.html
and a panel scheme like this:
http://www.serotta.com/pages/paint/panel.html
with solid white decals.

Too Tall
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
That stem screams leave me alone and paint the bike that classic pearl white with gold lug outlines mmmmmmmmm.

handsomerob
10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
That stem screams leave me alone and paint the bike that classic pearl white with gold lug outlines mmmmmmmmm.

If I go pearl, I would want it like the 25th anniversary scheme. LenJ's bike comes to mind. It is just beautiful.

I am not a big fan of gold... although JackBrunk's old and jimcav's new Meivici wasn't too bad :D However, I have considered going with either painted and/or outlined lugs.

handsomerob
10-03-2007, 07:59 AM
In your case, I think the "monochromatic" look would work well.

For instance, you can retain your original color and have the panels a much darker shade of, what is that-violet/plum/purple/eggplant/blue? I don't think you want to go overboard because too much of a good thing can kill the concept, therefore I would go for just a downtube panel-maybe a seat tube panel, but no more. And I wouldn't go with yellow decals; I would go with white, and complete the theme with white cables, bartape, and bottle cages. Then I would avoid black in the components as it would take away from the color. Lastly, the engraved portions of the frame should match the colors of the panels to tie it all together.

Also, white, silver, or gold panels are always good choices because they complement ANY color, but the SHADE of silver or gold should be chosen to match the primary color; white would not be as fussy. This is where an artistic eye comes in handy.

Don't use black on the stem lettering. If you can't get it to match the panel colors on a new paint scheme, then leave it alone. Black doesn't go well with the original frame color.

In fact, the original color would match with panels in the current color "Aubergine",
http://www.serotta.com/pages/colors.html
and a panel scheme like this:
http://www.serotta.com/pages/paint/panel.html
with solid white decals.

I checked the color list and "Ciao Bebe" looks relatively close to this bikes original color. Anyone have any pictures of a complete frame or bike in Ciao Bebe? This Club Special had vinyl lettering on the top tube that I took off and revealed paint with more purple underneath, so the current color is only after a bit of fading over the last 23 years.

I also really like the Porsche Bebe and Slate. Anyone have any pics of either of these all done up?

Kevan
10-03-2007, 08:01 AM
brown with cream paneling. For some bling add to the brown some gold flake and gold outlining on the lugs.

Don't you dare touch that stem!

barry1021
10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
If I go pearl, I would want it like the 25th anniversary scheme. LenJ's bike comes to mind. It is just beautiful.

I am not a big fan of gold... although JackBrunk's old and jimcav's new Meivici wasn't too bad :D However, I have considered going with either painted and/or outlined lugs.
with a pearl white scheme with pearl lugs outlined in red. Delicious!!

b21

Fixed
10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
red bikes = fast
imho cheers

davids
10-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I love panels, especially on a lugged bike.

Here's what you want: Light blue and white panels. Sticking with Serotta's colors, it would be Ice with White Gold panels. Decals: White with Black outline or solid Black, and only in the panels, not on the chainstays. Don't mess with that pretty stem!

72gmc
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
LenJ's bike certainly is beautiful. You might also take a second look at "white gold" or whatever the proper name is. I am far from a bling guy and my Davidson is white with a gold pearl, no lug outlining, red lug windows (e-richie-issimo lugset) and white decals outlined in gold. I was actually more nervous about the bit of gold than all the white, but it really works for me. Of course, I like white bikes and vanilla shakes.