PDA

View Full Version : wool jersey?

bironi
10-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Has anyone here tried the Earth Wind and Rider wool jerseys. I saw a couple at River City Cycles in Portland, OR. Seemed like very nice product at a reasonable price. They just need some prodding for longer zipper length. They are out of Cambridge, MA. Just thought maybe some of you Northeasterners had given them a try.
Thanks.

Ken Robb
10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
no, but I love my Ibex wool jersies and I am very sensitive to itchy wool. They are soft and comfy and I can wear them several days before washing them--really. Nobody says:" Hey Stinkie!". :banana:

Ginger
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I want to know why IBEX makes decent wool jerseys and puts stupid annoying itchy tags in them. That's what I want to know. That and I think that Icebreaker's wool is softer than IBEX wool. Probably processed in the same facility, but still.

Earth Wind and Rider seemed to have very silky wool samples (I think they hadn't started production) at Interbike a few years ago, but I hadn't been able to find any of their jerseys alive in person...(and I remember the summer weight wool having a short zip and thinking: what's up with that? All I can think of is perhaps the lightweight wool won't support a longer zip??? dunno)

Fixed
10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
bro for the well dressed
http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html

Ginger
10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh, and the wool jersey I really really like? Spot Bicycles. They seem to come and go on their web site, but mmmm...I love the jersey in any temps below 65.
http://www.spotbikes.com/clothing/

I see that Portland cycle wear has gotten with the times and moved to washable wool. YAY. I found this to be a little heavier jersey than the Spot.
Portlandcyclewear.com

93legendti
10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
That and I think that Icebreaker's wool is softer than IBEX wool. Probably processed in the same facility, but still...

I agree. Smartwool shirts are the softest yet.

dauwhe
I have several Woolistic jerseys, which I like a lot. Very soft and comfy! The zipper could be longer, though.

Dave

Fixed
coming out party?
cheers bro imho

paczki
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
The price is great and they made me my "Team Paczki" jerseys:

http://www.portlandcyclewear.com/woolcyclingjersey.html

Ginger
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree. Smartwool shirts are the softest yet.
Maybe they put softer wool in the men's version? I'd put Spot and Icebreaker in front of them (and the EWR stuff seemed to be right there). Ibex and Smartwool are a bit itchier to me.

Fixed...you wear wool?

Kevan
10-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Cleaning my closet out this past weekend, i found my favorite cashmere sweater fell victim to some nawing. Are these wool jerseys prone to the same smorgasbord?

davids
10-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Why, yes. I actually own an EWR jersey:

https://www.ewnr.com/pict/original/Old%20School%20Orange%20front.jpg

Very comfy, and quite good looking. I've only got one complaint - It's stretching a bit in the body. I'll get home from a ride and feel like the stuff I'm carrying in the rear pockets is hanging quite low... Doesn't bother me on the bike though. I'm almost certainly going back for another:

https://www.ewnr.com/pict/original/Old%20School%20Black%20front.jpg

p.s. This summer, EWR accidentally shipped me two jerseys meant for someone else. I got a personal call from the president, who not only sent me a FedEx return box, but a pair of socks for my trouble. Good people, atmo.

Birddog
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I have an Ibex which I'm quite pleased with. No itch, very soft, launders nicely when thrown in with my other stuff (no special care for me) and I hang it on a hanger to dry just like all my plastic jerseys. The only negative I have is that the pockets are pretty narrow and it's hard to get stuff in and out when on the bike. This might be intentional though, because when you load up the pockets, the jersey stretches out quite a bit. It could look like a mini dress.

Birddog

dekindy
10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
I just found out that an LBS has Nike wool long sleeve jerseys, says they are made of real wool and I looked them up and it should be merino, for $60. Any opinions?

Ginger
10-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Nike...I tried one...to me it was harsh...I'm not sure they'd improve with washing...that's the best thing you can do with a wool jersey: try it on.

Which reminds me (as did a little bird) If you go with Portland Cycle Wear, double check that the wool is washable. People had issues with the Ramble Jerseys shrinking in various laundry incidents. I haven't...but I've treated mine like non-machine washable wool. (and like I said, I see that he's changed over to washable wool on his site...market pressure perhaps?)

Ken Robb
10-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I have found that the same sweaters and jersies can feek quite different when the colors are different. In cashmere sweaters I have found the lighter colors to be softer than the darker colors when I have bought more than one color of the same model. I don't know if it'[s due to the dyeing of the yarn or if they manufacturers have to select nicer fibers for lighter colors.

bironi
10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I want to know why IBEX makes decent wool jerseys and puts stupid annoying itchy tags in them. That's what I want to know. That and I think that Icebreaker's wool is softer than IBEX wool. Probably processed in the same facility, but still.

Earth Wind and Rider seemed to have very silky wool samples (I think they hadn't started production) at Interbike a few years ago, but I hadn't been able to find any of their jerseys alive in person...(and I remember the summer weight wool having a short zip and thinking: what's up with that? All I can think of is perhaps the lightweight wool won't support a longer zip??? dunno)

Not only do I hate the itchy tags, but often times a high test fish line is used by many manufacturers to attach the tag. I spend a lot of time carfully removing the stiching. What a pita!

sg8357
10-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Woolistic is softest, even the new Chinese made ones.
The Woolistic winter trainers are wonderful, excellent quality.
Ibex is second, note some Ibex are made of finer wool than others.
I just got a Hincapie wool, really mostly wool + 20% plastic, it is coarser
feeling than the others.
The Nike jerseys are square cut and very thin, felt ok.
The Katena t-shirts Rivendell and some others sell are as good
as the Woolistic stuff.

Scott G.
Waiting for wool season in Ohio.

BdaGhisallo
10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I have worn a few wool jerseys in my time but always give up on them due to sagging of the pockets when I have them loaded, especially when it rains. What I have found is that a great wool base layer with a regular jersey seems to offer the best of both worlds. I have found the Icebreaker merino wool base layers (made in NZ) to be freaking awesome. They come in many different weights and are very well fitted. I even have a few that I wear off the bike in the winter time. They have made me fall in love with wool... or at least merino base layers.

www.icebreaker.com. The 200 and 260 weight layers are fantastic.

93legendti
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I have worn a few wool jerseys in my time but always give up on them due to sagging of the pockets when I have them loaded, especially when it rains. What I have found is that a great wool base layer with a regular jersey seems to offer the best of both worlds. I have found the Icebreaker merino wool base layers (made in NZ) to be freaking awesome. They come in many different weights and are very well fitted. I even have a few that I wear off the bike in the winter time. They have made me fall in love with wool... or at least merino base layers.

www.icebreaker.com. The 200 and 260 weight layers are fantastic.

See the 200 itches me and the 260 does not--go figure.

Alexi
10-02-2007, 05:29 PM
the earth wind and rider jerseys are pretty dope, and they are nice gys to boot.
one of the founders was a founder of kryptonite.

We had an alley cat up in boston last winter for an injured messenger. They donated a pair of jerseys.

smudgecycles
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm just putting in another "woot!" for Ibex*. I've got a bunch of stuff from Ibex, Smartwool and Icebreaker and Ibex fits me best, holds its shape better and stands up better (the fabric that is) than the other two. My gripe is that I've had some failures. Two Short Sleeved jerseys and an El Fito unstitched themselves in several areas. They took care of me though which counts for a lot.

*full discolsure - I have an account with them now, but 95% of my gear was purchased before opening it.

stevep
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
. Good people, atmo.

chris fallon.
if he screws you ill punish him.
stuff is nice and not long dollars.

shanerpvt
10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm diggin the Rapha wool right now. Also have a couple of Swobo - not bad, but quite a bit rougher than the Rapha. I really like the Swobo wool knickers also.

Steelhead
10-02-2007, 10:33 PM
bro for the well dressed
http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html

The Bicycle Fixation logo would make a cool tattoo. :)

SayHey
10-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Anyone use their wool jerseys as their primary ones during hot summer weather? I live in an all-year warm climate and I've been contemplating a summer weight short-sleeve wool jersey. From your experience, do those summer weight ones (which are often a blend) have the same odor rejection characteristics? (Hope this isn't a hi-jack as I suspect people are thinking wool as it cools down.)

shanerpvt
10-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Anyone use their wool jerseys as their primary ones during hot summer weather? I live in an all-year warm climate and I've been contemplating a summer weight short-sleeve wool jersey. From your experience, do those summer weight ones (which are often a blend) have the same odor rejection characteristics? (Hope this isn't a hi-jack as I suspect people are thinking wool as it cools down.)

I wear the Rapha summer club jersey (blend) in the summer heat of Central Texas. I ususally don't wear it if the temp is over 95 because it doesn't have a full length zipper. I think the wool works good as long as you keep moving. When you stop it really heats up.

cheers,

shaner

davids
10-03-2007, 06:53 AM
I have a couple summer weight short-sleeve Ibex wool jerseys. I don't like to wear them when it gets above 80. They may not stink when I get sweaty but, boy, they make me sweaty. I prefer the synthetics for warm/hot weather. I'm reserving wool for cool to cold...

And for the record, my EWR jersey is softer than my Ibexs. I can't really comment on durability yet - The Ibexs have two years on the EWR.

davep
10-03-2007, 09:49 AM
I also have the Rapha summer weight and and have worn it in over 100 degree temps. It would be better with a full length zipper, but I don't find it hotter than plastic jersey. It is a blend. At those temps I find its not the jersey that stinks, its the rider.

SayHey
10-04-2007, 01:45 AM
shanerpvt, davids, and davep -- thanks for the suggestions