PDA

View Full Version : ratcheting record freehub vs silent

amator
10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
.. My last hub question ... for the day :)

what would better the record hub in term of smoothness n longevity?
phil wood, tune or DT perhaps.. im into a wheeels phase rt now.

Ozz
10-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Squirt some grease into the grease port on the hub body....I did this with my Eurus and now they are silent...not sure if this is a recommended solution, but it has worked for me without a problem for the last year and half or so.....

amator
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Squirt some grease into the grease port on the hub body....I did this with my Eurus and now they are silent...not sure if this is a recommended solution, but it has worked without a problem for the last year and half or so.....
tks.

sorry i amended the thread as i found i did a double post.
I was asking abt ratcheting sound of free hubs of eurus n whether it served tany purpose.

Ozz
10-01-2007, 10:52 AM
it is just the rachet pawls clicking as the wheel spins....kinda like a rachet wrench....the grease just muffles the sound AFAIK.

A real mechanic might offer more info.....

amator
10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Squirt some grease into the grease port on the hub body....I did this with my Eurus and now they are silent...not sure if this is a recommended solution, but it has worked for me without a problem for the last year and half or so.....

hi OZZ, did u find that the hub was just noticeably quieter or did it have a tangible smoother freeheeling ability?

For the record :rolleyes: , my original q was:ratcheting record freehub vs silent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.. another noob hub question.. why are the modern freehubs so ratchety nowadays and does it serve any purpose.

My OEM record hubs/freehub combo is virtually silent but the eurus i have with supposedly record grade bearings are " noisy" and psychologically seem less smooth.. are they interchangeable?
tks

CNY rider
10-01-2007, 11:01 AM

You have really good hubs already.
You're unlikely to find anything appreciably better.
Save your $$$ for other bike toys.

Ozz
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't know if the hub was any "smoother"...but it was muchm, much quieter....quieter must be smoother... :rolleyes: My Eurus wheels are from 2003, so they are not the new ones.

I also have a set of wheels with DT Swiss 240s hubs....just as smooth, but quiet from the get go....no grease needed.

:beer:

chrisroph
10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
don't inject grease into the port, that just fills the hub and puts lots of grease where you don't want or need it before it gets to where it does any good.

Most people say not to use any grease on the freehub pawls but to use oil only. I have at times used a dab of grease without ill affect.

vaxn8r
10-01-2007, 01:04 PM

Oh, man, you have arguably the best hubs anyway. Don't get rid of them. Inject them if you wish. In my experience it won't diminish a thing besides the noise. All of my Campy hubs spin forever. Grease 'em up and do regular maintenance.

Ozz
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
don't inject grease into the port, that just fills the hub and puts lots of grease where you don't want or need it before it gets to where it does any good..
yeah....but it's easy...if not a little messy.

Most people say not to use any grease on the freehub pawls but to use oil only. I have at times used a dab of grease without ill affect.
I've heard that too, but not from a definitive source (besides you ;) ), which is why I was hoping a "real" mechanic would chime in.

rwsaunders
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I noticed the same when I swithced from Shimano hubs to Mavic's. They are quite annoying indeed, but oh so smooth. The "noise" has forced me to keep pedaling in order to keep them quiet. I always wondered if it was a safety feature; letting other cyclists know that you're near them.

Kevan
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Campy's Harley.

benb
10-01-2007, 03:01 PM
You want a freehub that make lots of noise when you coast.

If you've got a noisy freehub and it's making noise that should motivate you to pedal harder... no coasting means no freehub noise.

When you get to hauling down a big hill the wind noise will drown out the freehub noise and you'll know you're going fast enough to tuck in and catch a breather.