PDA

View Full Version : I did Etape du Tour...AND met Ben Serotta!

MallyG
07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi guys! Just got back from France, where I completed the 2004 Etape du Tour. It was the most amazing, toughest, exciting, hardest, unbelievable thing I've ever done! As many of you will know. we rode this year's Stage 10 from Limoges to St Flour, which is 150 miles of energy-sapping up-and-down riding, reaching the oficial mountains after about 100 miles, where the legendary Puy Mary (Pas de Peyrol) awaited us. At 17%, it would have been a tough climb after any distance, but after that long in the saddle, it was excrutiating, made tougher by having to steer at 4mph between the riders who had all taken the infinitely more sensible option of dismounting and walking.
My top speed was 44mph on one of the amazing descents, and I finished an hour and a half ahead of schedule in eleven hours and was placed 5417 out of over 8,000 riders.
I saw three other Serottas en route (thanks to the American guy on the Otrott who gave me an encouraging 'Go get 'em Serotta' on Peyrol as I climbed ahead!), and it was great to feel part of some exclusive club.
What was also great was that, at the pre-race registration, I was introduced to Ben Serotta, who was incredibly charming and friendly (I'll post the photos later in the week). A friend of mine who was riding a Trek 5500 was blown away by the fact that I actually met the man behind the decal ("Can't imagine I'll meet Mr Trek," he said).
Anyway, the entire day was fantastic and I suggest that anyone with a love of cycling takes advantage of the opportunity to race in the Tour with the full backup, spectacle, atmosphere and competition that the Tour provides and enter l'Etape next year. Sure it's intense. Sure you have to train for a minimum of six months. Sure it's nervewracking. But you will never, ever regret it.
Thanks to all those on this board who wished me luck in the days and weeks leading up to the event. I appreciate it! Now I can watch the whole stage tomorrow as ridden by Lance et al and say to myself.... I DID THAT!!!!

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2004, 03:08 PM
You GO, Mally! Great job! :D :beer: :D :beer: :D :beer:

I am looking forward to seeing the photos!

BBDave

victoryfactory
07-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Cool, can't wait to see the pictures

VF

William
07-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Congratulations!

It's great to hear when someone accomplishes a tough goal they have set for themselves. :cool: :beer: :cool:

WAY TO GO!!!!

William

M_A_Martin
07-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Congratulations Mally! Good to hear that all your hard work paid off (passing other riders who got off to walk! You GO!)

Ginger

jeffg
07-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Mally --

I looked you up on the posted results this weekend, and was happy to see you met your goal! Being in the saddle that long is tough, especially with a huge pack of riders that are not quite a peloton. I was most worried about any shennanigans in the first 30km as riders jockeyed to make the initial time cutoff. Glad to see you made in unscathed and powered into the finish. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now that you have done this, the Dolomite Marathon should be no problem! ;)

Climb01742
07-13-2004, 03:48 PM
too f*cking cool. many congrats. you planned, you trained, you endured, you didn't quit, you did it. you have many reasons to feel proud. enjoy the accomplishment.

Dekonick
07-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Great job!

I am sure being on a serotta made it much easier too!

Did anyone ask you if your bike was italian?

Again - GRATS!

Len J
07-13-2004, 04:39 PM
That comes from commiting to something and seeing it thru!

Congrats.

Len

Kevin
07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Congratulations

Kevin

Bill Bove
07-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your joy with us. When you share a good thing, it is twice as good.

When you meet Ben don't you get the feeling that you've met someone special?

J.M. White
07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Cheers!

Dude
07-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Thats awesome man, congratulations.

MallyG
07-14-2004, 04:02 AM
... I'm now sitting in my office watching live coverage of Stage 10 of the Tour, reliving each moment, still on Cloud 9. One more thing, the Legend ST performed magnificently, both going up and down, with no mechanical issues whatsoever. A great bike!

Too Tall
07-14-2004, 05:42 AM
As if there was any question!

Johny
07-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Great job!

Now we are gonna watch the pros suffer today... A bit tired of watching the flat stages.

RABikes2
07-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Planning, training, doing your homework, and accomplishing...ahhh...reaching your goal! YAHOO!! WAY TO GO!! Many congrats! ;)

I think everybody will agree; Ben Serotta is definitely very special. :)