PDA

View Full Version : Building touring wheelset - Hub questions

tbushnel
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I am planning a wheel build for a touring bike and was going to use Phil wood hubs. The frame will take either 130 or 135mm hubs. I have two questions at this point.
1) I was inclined to use the 130mm hubs (cassette) as my other bikes are road and I like the idea of flexibility in terms of using them on other bikes. Would the improvement in dish be worth the 135mm?

2) In a touring application, is there a compelling reason to use a bolt-on hub as apposed to a quick release (or vice versa)?

Thanks,
Ted.

Thought of another question: Any reason to not use an offset rim on a touring wheelset?

Ahneida Ride
10-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Use Campy Chorus or Record Skewers ...
See Sheldon Brown for an explanation.

Pete Serotta
10-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Ted, one of the first questions that need to be asker is "What do you mean by touring..?" Loaded with bags, tent, etc? Credit Card touring? or day touring?
What type of roads (dirt, gravel, paved)

A good source of wheel info is PETER WHITE for touring (he is in NH and has a web site and is good to deal with.)

I touring is Credit Card and the regular Campy and Shimano hubs work fine. USing OPEN FOUR CERAMIC b MAVIC. THese would not work the best for loaded touring across US though

PETE

tbushnel
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I am planning some loaded touring for next summer (unsupported, camping). I expect the terrain will be mostly paved roads, but will include some dirt/gravel roads too. In the meanwhile rides will include loads under 20 lbs and nearly entirely on paved roads, but this probably isn't so important.

I will check out PW's site. I do often anyway, but haven't reviewed his info on wheels. Thanks for the rec.

the skewer rec is also appreciated. SB has so much cool, useful info.
Thanks,
Ted.

Bradford
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I've had up to 4 rear spokes break on one tour (1,000 miles), and it is a real drag. I understand the desire to have the wheels be interchangable, but I would choose the strongest possible wheels if it were me.

What kind of frame are you using? I didn't know you could have one frame that could fit 130 and 135 wheels.

tbushnel
10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
But I have seen at least one (?Surly) that has a rear spacing of 132.5. May not be an issue though if I choose a frame spaced at 135mm.
Ted.

Ken Robb
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Rivendell Rambouillet and Romulus are spaced at 132.5mm so 130 and 135mm hubs work easily. Pretty clever ATMO. For what you plan I'd go 135mm because I hate breakdowns even close to home. On a trip it would really be a bother. Plus consider the extra peace of mind descending with extra weight knowing you have sturdy wheels. Heck you clearly won't be racing on this ride so what difference will a few extra ounces make? :beer:

Peter P.
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm running an Ultegra hub with a Ritchey OCR offset rear rim on my 130mm road bike. It definitely built up with less tension differential and has been staying true, as well.

My Phil Wood cassette hub'd bike has a 135mm rear end and a non-offset Mavic MA-3 rim. I suppose it's another way of achieving the same goal, but I didn't even think of that option at the time. If I did, I would have gone with your suggestion just to have the versatility of a rear wheel I could swap onto another bike should the need arise.

I think either option is worth it for longer lasting wheels; that has been my experience.

As for the bolt-on hub, the only benefit might be theft deterrent. Another option is to purchase an accessory that REPLACES your quick release lever with a Torx bolt, and supplies the Torx L-wrench as well. I have a pair. They work, as long as you hide the wrench from thieves or take it with you. The device only works with certain brand skewers, so ask before you buy. Any bike shop should be able to order them for you.

vandeda
10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
But I have seen at least one (?Surly) that has a rear spacing of 132.5. May not be an issue though if I choose a frame spaced at 135mm.
Ted.

Yeah, Surely does the 132.5 thing on the Cross-Check.

dschlichting
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Everyone here has made good equipment suggestions, but IMHO for loaded (panniers, etc.) touring, I'd first look for a higher spoke count, e.g. 40, 48 and go from there.
My Spectrum touring bike is built with a 40h Hügi tandem hub (could get 135mm then) and a Mavic T217 (more or less similar to today's A219?) ceramic rim. Has run true for years.