PDA

View Full Version : moving cleats from one shoe to another

sfscott
07-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Anyone have any good tips for moving cleats to a new, different brand of shoes without having to go thru the ordeal of having the fit gurus at my shop re-do it in their contraption?

scottcw
07-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I just put new Bebop cleats on a new pair of Specialized Carbon shoes last night. I measured from the heel to the center of the bolts on my old shoes (Sidi). It was 7.25". I ended up with the cleats slightly back of that on the new shoes.

dgauthier
07-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Uh, maybe I'm dumb, but is there anything wrong with just putting them on by yourself?

I just changed from SPD to road shoes (with Time Impacts), and I found it pretty easy to tweak the cleat on each shoe by feel. Just take a hex wrench on a ride, and slip the cleats forward and back until they feel right.

Does anyone see any downside associated with doing this?

Kevin
07-13-2004, 05:41 PM
I just measure from the front and rear of the shoe and install the cleat in the same spot.

Kevin

Too Tall
07-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Diff. brands of shoes will not have the same outside measures. You need to locate the back of your heel inside the shoe by pinching your forefinger and thumb together (forefinger inside the heelcup and thumb directly under) and measure to the ctr. of current cleat. This is your fore/aft measure.

Now, do a similar measure for the L. and R. big toe "bump"...that is the widest part of your shoe. Measure from the inside nearest the crank to ctr. of current cleat. This is the lateral measure.

This will get you in the ball park.