PDA

View Full Version : An Iranian finished last today....

saab2000
09-30-2007, 10:11 PM
filler

Grant McLean
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
The Jerk should be thrilled to know he wasn't riding ergo bend bars.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had those banned just in case...

-g

Dude
09-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the spoiler, jerk!!!

:) :banana:

saab2000
10-01-2007, 12:02 AM
filler

93legendti
10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
I have personally known two Iranians well. They have both completely been polar opposites to what the 'media' would like us to think of Iranians.

I am not a fan of these false and divisive labels, but they are what we are since the time of Adam and Eve's children.

My starting of this thread may have been political in my pacifist manner. It's what a bottle of Merlot (and a lifetime of being taught that the 'status quo' isn't what it appears to be) will do.

You can say what you want, but if there was an Israeli in the field, it would have been illegal for the Iranian to talk to the Israeli and the Iranian rider would have been arrested when he got home to Iran.

There was a similar incident a while back when Iran and Israel were to wrestle in an international match:

"... Even in the past week, a controversy has emerged over an Iranian wrestler who refuses to wrestle an Israeli, claiming that he doesn't recognize the state of Israel--hardly an action in the spirit of solidarity..."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110005495

saab2000
10-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Filler

93legendti
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
I have no favorites and know no 'nationalities'.

Folks, we're all in this together. We can either rise above the rabble or be caught in it.

And that's my last thought here.

I just wanted to applaud a rider who probably just rode his @$$ off and had some odds against him.

That may be true, but this post:
I have personally known two Iranians well. They have both completely been polar opposites to what the 'media' would like us to think of Iranians.

I am not a fan of these false and divisive labels, but they are what we are since the time of Adam and Eve's children.

My starting of this thread may have been political in my pacifist manner. It's what a bottle of Merlot (and a lifetime of being taught that the 'status quo' isn't what it appears to be) will do.

If you're the rider from Israel, you might feel a little different. Make no mistake, the rider was handpicked by the gov't you think the media is hanging a "false" label on. And if interviewed on the topic of Israel, he would have spewed the country's venomous line. He would not have supported the one for all attitude you are advancing. Frankly, since the official public Iranian line is Israel will "dissapear", Iran's riders should not have been allowed to ride. Right?

saab2000
10-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Filler

saab2000
10-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Just delete the effin thing.

Was supposed to be uniter rather than divider. Failed I guess.

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 01:58 AM
People are just People. imho.

A.L.Breguet
10-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Just delete the effin thing.

Was supposed to be uniter rather than divider. Failed I guess.
No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

goonster
10-01-2007, 11:12 AM
And if interviewed on the topic of Israel, he would have spewed the country's venomous line. He would not have supported the one for all attitude you are advancing.

You know all this for a fact? :rolleyes:

The gov't's official line makes everybody there a bad person, right? Yeah, and Ekimov was a commie stooge, handpicked in '88 for his party loyalty and ability to spout propaganda. :rolleyes:

Fixed
10-01-2007, 11:18 AM
bro the cat didn't have the high octine fuel
cheers imho

oracle
10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
everybody's got to have someone to hate, demonize, and turn into the 'other'.

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 12:08 PM
everybody's got to have someone to hate, demonize, and turn into the 'other'.

Barbarians?

JohnS
10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Barbarians?Well, if you're Armenian, I know who their first choice would be... just sayin'.

93legendti
10-01-2007, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=goonster]You know all this for a fact? :rolleyes:

The gov't's official line makes everybody there a bad person, right? .../QUOTE]

Fact? Yes.

Every one bad? No.

He should not have been allowed to compete at all. Kapish?

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, if you're Armenian, I know who their first choice would be... just sayin'.

And who would that be?

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=goonster]You know all this for a fact? :rolleyes:

The gov't's official line makes everybody there a bad person, right? .../QUOTE]

Fact? Yes.

Every one bad? No.

He should not have been allowed to compete at all. Kapish?

Is punishing athletes, who probably care more for their sport than politics, the right way to send a message?

oracle
10-01-2007, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=93legendti]

Is punishing athletes, who probably care more for their sport than politics, the right way to send a message?

no

93legendti
10-01-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=93legendti]

If the athlete will not talk to an athlete from another country, simply because he is from another country, does that make him an athlete in the true sense of the word?

What would Jimmy Carter say?

Should the '72 Olympic Games gone on after the Israeli athletes were massacred?

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=shinomaster]

If the athlete will not talk to an athlete from another country, simply because he is from another country, does that make him an athlete in the true sense of the word?

That really isn't the spirit of the Olympics is it...

93legendti
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=93legendti]

That really isn't the spirit of the Olympics is it...

No, it isn't.

saab2000
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
There were no undertones or deeper meaning to my having started this thread. I just wanted to acknowledge that a ridern from a non-cycling nation finished a tough race.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Sorry to have stirred up a can of worms here.

Peace.

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
There were no undertones or deeper meaning to my having started this thread. I just wanted to acknowledge that a ridern from a non-cycling nation finished a tough race.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Sorry to have stirred up a can of worms here.

Peace.
Don't worry Saab.

znfdl
10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
SAAB No worries.

I think that anyone who can finish that race is an excellent athlete.

Do I agree with his countries policies? My answer would be a resounding no!

As a jew, do I trust the intentions of Iran? Another resounding no!

Would we really ever know the racer personal feelings about Israel? Probably not.

Do all Iranians despise Israel? Atleast the ex-patriate Iranians that I know, would also be a resounding no. Why do you think they no longer live in Iran.

Sweeping genralizations are just plain bad.

goonster
10-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Please provide evidence that Hossein Askari refuses to talk to Israelis in the peloton.

One need only to look to the previous president to find an Iranian willing to talk to Jews and shake hands with women, even if he was forced to deny it later on.

Should the '72 Olympic Games gone on after the Israeli athletes were massacred?

Whut?

Nobody is talking about massacres here.

93legendti
10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Please provide evidence that Hossein Askari refuses to talk to Israelis in the peloton.

One need only to look to the previous president to find an Iranian willing to talk to Jews and shake hands with women, even if he was forced to deny it later on.

Whut?

Nobody is talking about massacres here.

Please re-read my posts above.

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 02:58 PM
World Cup Soccer is probably worse than any Olympic grudge match. Soccer players and soccer fans are perhaps the most violent and ill mannered.

GD2002
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
When I read SAAB's original post, I did not think it was anything more than an Iranian athlete finished last on a bike race. Which was a great accomplishment in my view whether the athlete is Iranian, Puerto Rican or Papua New Guinean.

If one would like to discuss about Iran, let him/her open his or her own thread....but why... :confused:

...just my $0.02.

goonster
10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Please re-read my posts above.

OK, I did. I saw a lot of hyptheticals, but nothing that related to Mr. Askari directly. Or to cycling.

There was a similar incident a while back when Iran and Israel were to wrestle in an international soccer match

Dude, even Zizou's headbutt doesn't qualify as wrestling. ;)

World Cup Soccer is probably worse than any Olympic grudge match. Soccer players and soccer fans are perhaps the most violent and ill mannered.

Maybe, but not at the World Cup. The tickets are too expensive!

Bill Bove
10-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I would have been more impressed if an Iranian woman had finished the womens race.

znfdl
10-01-2007, 03:25 PM
When I read SAAB's original post, I did not think it was anything more than an Iranian athlete finished last on a bike race. Which was a great accomplishment in my view whether the athlete is Iranian, Puerto Rican or Papua New Guinean.

If one would like to discuss about Iran, let him/her open his or her own thread....but why... :confused:

...just my $0.02.

+1

Fixed
10-01-2007, 03:27 PM
bro any bets as to when we bomb them ?
cheers imho

Israeli is holy to all of us and we protect it as we should

don't shoot the messenger ...i know they did for spite

norman neville
10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
bro any bets as to when we bomb them ?
cheers imho

the best thing for all involved would be for iran to develop nuclear weapons and competent delivery systems in the next hour or two so that they would then move immediately to the do-not-bomb-list and save everyone a heap of trouble.

gdw
10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
She DNFed. Mechanical problems. Apparently her burca got tangled in her chainrings just after the start.

fiamme red
10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
the best thing for all involved would be for iran to develop nuclear weapons and competent delivery systemsUPS or FedEx?

Samster
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
The DNF list is pretty long imo.

shinomaster
10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7-KEa99Fw

BBB
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Not sure if this should be here or in the 'someone is watching us' thread:

www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/oct07/oct01news2

Fixed
10-01-2007, 06:11 PM
bro i would give my left cojone to be as fast as Hossein Askari

cheers imho

93legendti
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Another view:

The German Football Association (DFB) on Monday controversially backed Iranian-born star Ashkan Dejagah's decision to opt out of playing in this weekend's Israel versus Germany Under-21 European Championship qualifying match in Tel Aviv due to "personal reasons."

In a DFB statement, the striker, who plays for Bundesliga side Vfb Wolfsburg, asked for "understanding" from the German Football Association that the "reasons are of a very personal nature and lie in my closest family."

However, the German daily Bild quoted Dejagah as saying his refusal "had political reasons."

"Everyone knows I am an Iranian-born German," he said.

Since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, Iran has not recognized Israel's right to exist, Iranians are not allowed to travel to Israel and the country's president has famously called for Israel to be wiped off the map.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1191257257008&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull