PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Storage

ds97a
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Quick newbie question:
How do folks store their bikes between rides? My CDA is brand new and I don't want to lean it against anything, for fear of a blemish in the finish. I have hooks in the garage but, they are a PIA to hang the bike on and take it off. So, I bought this little rolly thing that the front tire (or rear) tire sits in but, it doesn't seem like the best for the trueness of the wheel.

My wife doesn't see the benefit of storing it in the living room but, I am working on that.

Thanks in advance!

Pete Serotta
09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
I use the one from Rivendell (the wheelie thing) and place it is the rear wheel. Another suggestion is a hanger type deal like COLORADO Cyclist sell.s

The CDA is a wonderful bike. Best of luck with it.

PETE

ds97a
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I use the one from Rivendell (the wheelie thing) and place it is the rear wheel. Another suggestion is a hanger type deal like COLORADO Cyclist sell.s

The CDA is a wonderful bike. Best of luck with it.

PETE

Pete,
Thanks for the quick response! Are you talking about the Rothko Bike Stand ($20)? If so, that is exactly what I have, and this doesn't screw up the wheel or anythingl?
-Thanks for your patience

1centaur
09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12642&subcategory_ID=6600

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24019&subcategory_ID=6600

imp25rs
09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I use the hook that hangs the bike vertically by the wheel and have never had a problem with the wheels being true.

Smiley
09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Store it at Ben's home and have the boys and girls at Serotta tune it up when not in use :)

Len J
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Best stand I've found:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ULTUFZPQ

Len

SoCalSteve
09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Or you could try this:

http://amlingscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1031

I have 7 of these in my garage. They work flawlessly and easily.

Good luck!

Steve

ds97a
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Store it at Ben's home and have the boys and girls at Serotta tune it up when not in use :)

That's a great idea! I'll just give him a buzz, and take a quick ride to the plant. It's only a hop skip and a jump away. They are quite nice at the plant. I really enjoyed my tour! :rolleyes:

ds97a
09-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Forum-ites:
Thanks for the great advice! I really like the stands from the Colorado Cyclist and Performance Bike.com.
I think that the addition of the back bar to support more of the tire seems to make more sense.

Thanks again

rpm
09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
REI sells a nifty stand that holds the bike by the front hub, off the ground. I have two of them at a diagonal to hold 4 bikes. Easy in, easy out.

http://www.rei.com/product/744536

Louis
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I can't seem to find any of these online anymore to show you a picture, but they are neat, simple and inexpensive stands. (I've bought them from Nashbar and Performance, on sale for around $10.)

They are essentially a post which supports two j hooks, one of which goes under a chainstay and the other under the seat stay. They lift the rear wheel off the ground, which allows you to do simple maintenance such as lubing the drive-train and cleaning the cassette. They're designed as simple work stands, but they also work very well for storage between rides.

Plus, because you can do maintenance in-place you're more likely to do it, since you don't have to take the bike elsewhere.

Louis

thwart
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I have hooks in the garage but, they are a PIA to hang the bike on and take it off. Well, they work for me... and they are dirt cheap.

The nice thing about modern road bikes is that they're light, for that matter very, very light. Makes the take down and put back up relatively easy... that is of course if you have normal height joists/rafters in your garage. And of course as long as your wife's car isn't parked immediately below your bike's hangers.

And of course, no floorspace was harmed during the making of this post. :D

Ray
10-01-2007, 03:19 AM
I think the key point is that you're not going to hurt any part of the bike by supporting the bike's weight on it. You can hang it from one wheel and you won't hurt the wheel or the fork or anything else. You can hang it from the top tube. You can support it with any number of wheel supports and the wheel will not go out of true - think about how much more weight the wheel is supporting when you're on the bike and it doesn't go out of true from that, so how is leaning just the bike against the wheel going to hurt it? I wouldn't worry about leaning it against a garage wall or something either. That's not going to cause a blemish in the finish and, even if it did, getting that first little scratch out of the way is important to being able to fully enjoy your bike. If you're babying it too much, you're not out getting dirty on it near enough!

Go ride and don't worry about it!

I've stored my bikes in just about every imaginable way over the years and have never damaged one from storage.

-Ray

Erik.Lazdins
10-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I've got a row of padded hooks I bought at Lowes screwed into a 2X4 and screwed onto the wall - I hang all my bikes except the one I'm riding that day which leans against a wall.

I think the hooks cost me less than $10 a few years back.

justinf
10-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Hooks. As long as you don't mind the hole in the ceiling/wall, by far the best (and cheapest).

rwsaunders
10-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Depending on the size and build, Dave Thompson will allow you to store your CDA in Spokane for the season.