PDA

View Full Version : Time bikes...

SoCalSteve
09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

In reading a few recent postings from Forumites that went to Interbike, it appears that Time bikes made a very good impression on them...

I own an older Time bike VX Special Pro and even though it doesnt have a sloping top tube or the latest ultra mega big headset or bottom bracket, the bike is by far one of the nicest riding, well finished and just all around coolest carbon bike I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few).

The fact that the tubes are rolled out in France and then completely built up in France to me is so great...and that you can get such cool matching components (whether its marketing or...) its still really nice.

Just curious as to what others feel about Time bikes...

As always, thanks in advance,

Steve

amg
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I like Time bikes as well. Time is at the top of my list for carbon. They seem to improve every year. I too like the all French manufacture.

Antonio

1centaur
09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
The proportion of people who buy Time bikes and really like them seems MUCH higher than average in a category where liking what you buy is expected. They are like Serotta in that regard. I have never seen quite the right paint scheme or I would have pulled the trigger. Like Look bikes, they often disappear in ranking systems, such as Tour tests for stiffness to weight, but somehow consistently produce raves from owners. They have been featured in a Procyling insert about frame makers (as has Serotta) and their dedication to quality was impressive. IIRC, they use women to place their decals because they do so more accurately.

SoCalSteve
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
The proportion of people who buy Time bikes and really like them seems MUCH higher than average in a category where liking what you buy is expected. They are like Serotta in that regard. I have never seen quite the right paint scheme or I would have pulled the trigger. Like Look bikes, they often disappear in ranking systems, such as Tour tests for stiffness to weight, but somehow consistently produce raves from owners. They have been featured in a Procyling insert about frame makers (as has Serotta) and their dedication to quality was impressive. IIRC, they use women to place their decals because they do so more accurately.

I have never been able to find this article (I have heard about it). Does anyone happen to have a link to it (The Time one, not Serotta) or a scanned version from the actual magazine? I would so love to read about them.

Thanks,

Steve

stevep
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
i probably have a copy of this.
it pictures the gigantic machine that time uses to manufacture their carbon tubes. pretty cool.
i could probably fax it to you but ill have to look for it.

SoCalSteve
09-30-2007, 08:01 PM
i probably have a copy of this.
it pictures the gigantic machine that time uses to manufacture their carbon tubes. pretty cool.
i could probably fax it to you but ill have to look for it.

PM sent with my fax number...

Thank you so much in advance for finding and faxing to me!

Steve

sspielman
10-01-2007, 07:26 AM
The time bikes are really good. I have a VXRS and it ranks among my all time favorite rides. They are unusual in that they have total control of the production (referring to their tube manufacture)... where the norm seems to be to contract with an asian company to build your frame for you...and to try to market it in a way that it is BETTER than anybody else's....
Time could really benefit from toning down some of the graphics....but you can't deny that the things work very well....
Something else that doesn't often get mentioned is how beautifully finished they are...the threads in the BB are SO clean..the frame is perfectly straight...the droupouts perfectly spaced and parallel.....the Asian frames always get that stuff wrong.

Cdub
10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I have the VXR. My first ride was in the hills. I climb decent and had never felt a bike learch forward as the VXR does . It flat out climbs. I then raced it in a crit and was amazed at how quickly it accelerates. I have a large with Campy Record, Look Keo carbon crom spindle, Deda alum bars and with Zipp 404 for races. Weight, 15.7. I plan on buying a second one in 08. I like the white paint scheme.

Cdub

jimcav
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
it is still the best bike i have ridden. my 585 is close, and white, which i much prefer, but honestly the vxrs was the better bike. i find the paris carbon a close second as well. if i can score a white paris carbon uci or white WCS ulteam, then i'll be selling the 585.
jim

oracle
10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
it is still the best bike i have ridden. my 585 is close, and white, which i much prefer, but honestly the vxrs was the better bike. i find the paris carbon a close second as well. if i can score a white paris carbon uci or white WCS ulteam, then i'll be selling the 585.
jim

you really ride a bike you like less because you think it's prettier?

jimcav
10-01-2007, 04:17 PM
and by less, it is shades of grey--if not just a subtly better bike, i'd still have the vxrs.
I agonized on it when i sold it. part of it was what i'd get for each bike in selling, versus what i paid, and part of it was how much time i actually get to ride now (normally 70-90 minutes max at a time, rare 55 mile rides on weekends). I sold my paris carbon because it was yellow and black--if it was white, i'd have kept it and sold the 585. I happen to like the onda look, others don't. There is no bad 585, paris carbon, or VXR, VXS, VXRS; all are great, so for me the decision was on what i liked the look of the most.
others may have a fit issue--that makes it easy. but for me it came down to the appearance.
conversely, my pink vanilla is not my cup of tea for color, but it is different enough to be cool, and the ride is superb--so in that case i may keep a bike that rides better and sell a bike that looks better, because in that case the ride difference is greater than the aesthetic factor.

Pbraun
10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I have to say, every time I ride my VXR it feels like I'm on a rocket. Super stable and stiff. I love it.

I can't compare it to other high end carbon bikes, but it sure beats my old Merlin Extra Light.

swoop
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
it so funny... how we all have different sensations... i'd rate the merlin extralight right up there as one of the special ones too.

jimcav
10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
it so funny... how we all have different sensations... i'd rate the merlin extralight right up there as one of the special ones too.

no comparison. at 173 lbs the extralight was flexy for me, the spectrum is rock solid, a rocket, yet not harsh.
true the merlin was more supple in feel, but i don't miss it.

ride far, ride often, or both!

jim