PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Ride

pjm
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Capital District cyclists may be interested in this:
http://www.webmhcc.org/Upcoming_Events/ad_for_ride.shtml

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
. . . and I am planning to go tonight. Was there last week and there were about 30 people. They turned around at the accident site, but you can also just keep going and do the regular river loop.

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
07-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Do my best to be there.

More info at webmhcc.org

Ahneida Ride
07-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Tom
07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
The young man that struck David Ryan had three speeding tickets in the previous year. Two were reduced to parking on the pavement. He had completed one of those point reduction classes back in 2002, there apparently were earlier violations. One of the recent tickets was reduced while the young man was on probation.

I think that there's a DA and a judge that need to be sat down and spoken to.

pjm
07-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Hopefully there won't be any plea-bargaining this time. The kid obviously hasn't learned any lessons.

BumbleBeeDave
07-13-2004, 01:59 PM
. . . is on the case and I will post the story when the kid is popped. Word from the inside is that the SP are going to make this kid an example

The trouble with the speeding tickets is that if they are "pled down"--which is a fairly common occurrence with moving violations--then the original more serious charge is not entered in the state database--only the final reduced charge. This kid's other tickets were in three separate municipalities around here, so police in each case were apparently unaware the kid had speeding tickets in other towns locally.

In any case, keep in mind with all these violations and driving classes the kid is STILL only 18. So he has had all this trouble in only two years since he got his license. I think a reasonable lawsuit could be pursued against his parents for negligence in allowing him to continue to drive.

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
07-13-2004, 02:08 PM
This whole incident is sicking. and could have been prevented if we
had a real justice system.

He could have just as easliy hit an oncomming car or pedestrian.
So just because you don't ride a bike you are not immune from
this predator.