PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 with 9 speed Dura Ace Triple Crank.

Pete Serotta
09-29-2007, 05:01 PM
I am trying to do something that on hindsight was very foolish on my part. Since I am going to Vermont, I wanted a triple instead of my COMPACT. The drivetrain is Campy Long Cage and Triple Front Der.

The crank is a triple DURA ACE 9 speed.

So far I am having poor luck in the chain department hopping and noise like it is not "meshing" with the 105 chain.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this and if so what chain did they use. Campy 10 or another chain?

Thanks PETE

Pete Serotta
09-29-2007, 06:21 PM
bump......

93legendti
09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Campy or SRAM. Did you change out the BB for a triple approved BB?

Pete Serotta
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes, it has the Shimano BB for the triple.... (the BB and Crank are from a friends Serotta that he gave me for he switched to a compact)

Campy or SRAM. Did you change out the BB for a triple approved BB?

jbl
09-29-2007, 07:55 PM
If I read the OP right, you're running a 9 speed chain? I think you might need a 10 speed chain to accommodate the narrower spacing between cogs on your 10 speed cassette.

stevep
09-29-2007, 08:00 PM
whats the matter w/ the compact?
put it back on.
you'll survive

SPOKE
09-29-2007, 08:01 PM
he's running a shimano 105 10spd chain. i installed it today.

Dave
09-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Where is this "chain hopping" occurring? Front or back? A shimano 10 chain should work fine with a Campy 10 drivetrain. I used one for 2000 miles on one of my Campy triple drivetrain bikes. I had no shifting problems, front or rear. I use FSA cranks. Some are 9/10 compatible and others are 10 speed models. I've never found any difference in them.

Instaling a new chain on a well-used cassette can result in chain skip, but chain skip only occurs while riding the bike, usually under heavy pedaling pressure.

Be sure you set the chain length properly. This seems to be a mystery for many people. Set it in the little/little combo, so it's as long as possible, but not so long that it hangs loose or rubs on the upper pulley chain guide tab. As long as the lower end of the RD cage swings down slightly, there's enough chain tension. The little ring and two smallest cogs shouldn't be used anyway. I've got a 53/39/28 with a 12-25 and a medium cage RD that exceeds the wrap capacity of the RD. The chain hangs loose in the little ring an two smallest cogs. A shorter chain would be too short to wrap the 53/25 (also not used, but accidents happen).

Whether it was wise to install the triple, depends on the compact setup you had. A 34/25 is like a 30/22. If you've got a 30/25 low then the 30/23 and 30/25 are both lower gears. I go even further with my 28T ring, to get the same low as a 30/27. I've got 21% lower gearing than a compact with the same cassette, so I've got two more low ratios available and yes, I use them. In the early season, I'll use a long cage setup with a 13-29 and go even lower. Even with this lower gearing, I've got about the same top gear as a 50/12 compact, with my 53/13.