PDA

View Full Version : Campy ut crank with dura ace gear

dnades
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Alright. Did a bunch of searches and could find no one that is using a campy crank with a dura ace shifter/drive train. I like the fact that the ut cranks spin alot better than the dura ace(less friction on bearings) plus I like the looks of the ut style cranks. Has anyone combined a ut compact crank with a dura ace drivetrain? Chainline an issue? What style of chain to use? Is this even an issue? Read recently that Fulcrum racing is coming out with a ut style crank(500.00+-ouch.) for shimano and sram drivetrains so it seems there must be some type of issue. Or is it just marketing hype? :confused: Thanks for the input.

john

Pete Serotta
09-29-2007, 01:59 PM
John....I love Campy but it does not work any better in real world than Shimano. In fact some would argue that it does not work as well. Now the other item that you mention of liking the looks better. (I agree) is enough to use it. If rest of drive train is Shimano, then use their or compatible chain.

Grant and SPOKES are more qualified than I on this topic, but this is what I do.

PETE

SPOKE
09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
use the shimano chain. it will work fine with the Campy crank. i doubt that you'll have any chain line issues. i'm sure ther is a difference but not enuf to matter in the real world. :beer:

Dave
09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
There should be no problem using a Campy UT crank with any other 10 speed drivetrain. Everyone has used the same 43.5mm chainline for a long time. The Chorus version is the best value in a carbon crank, IMO. A lot cheaper than Record and only slightly heavier.

Campy's new UN chain is now the narrowest on the market, although it must be very similar to SRAM, since the same Superlink (5.9mm) fits either chain. The Shimano 10 chain is nearly identical to the no longer made orginal Campy 10 chain.

I'd like to see some Shimano users try a Campy UN chain. I can guarantee that they will last much longer. I did the opposite, trying a DA 10 chain on my Campy drivetrain and quickly found out why most users don't get many miles from this chain. It elongates several times faster. I'd rather pay $9 more and get up to twice the mileage.

NateM
09-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I have been using a Campy Centaur Compact Ut crank with Dura Ace 9 sp Shifters and DA10 speed R Der.Switched from a IRD compact F Der to a Centaur Compact F Der (2006 model).Dura Ace 9sp chain/connex link.Works fine. I like the bearing setup on the Campy UT's better than the Shimano (which suffer in the wet and dirt) Then again I've only been using the Campy setup since late spring and the winter ahead may prove me wrong in this regard.

gone
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Alright. Did a bunch of searches and could find no one that is using a campy crank with a dura ace shifter/drive train.

john
You've found someone. I have exactly that setup. About 2k miles on it and it works flawlessly.

dnades
09-29-2007, 06:33 PM
to get great info. Thanks. I was hoping it would work out. :beer: Psych! No more excuses left... :D

dutri42590
09-29-2007, 06:49 PM
i know it will work with sram force. my coworker races it and loves it. he used i beace it is lighter than sram.
JPR

PK9
09-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm running a Record UT Compact with Dura Ace 7800 front and rear derailleurs. Absolutely no problems.
(I don't particularly like the looks of the DA crankset either and I wanted to run compact.)

mosca
10-02-2007, 12:23 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30040
Full DA10 with Centaur compact - works great. Basically I just liked the looks of the Campy crank, no better reason...

DarrenCT
10-02-2007, 04:47 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30040
Full DA10 with Centaur compact - works great. Basically I just liked the looks of the Campy crank, no better reason...

the more i see that centaur silver crank the more i like it.

cool build

-d