First the pictures. The text will be right after. :beer:

Fixed
09-29-2007, 11:34 AM
bro you look fit
cheers
enjoyed the pics

Gothard
09-29-2007, 11:43 AM
The St Gothard, my namesake, is kind of our classic ride. We usually climb it once a year at least, on the old road named Val Tremola, which is a cobblestone road, maintained for touristic reasons.
Today was the time to go and climb it. We left home and drove over the Nufenen Pass to Airolo. Surprise! It has snowed. A nice white blanket, about 4 inches thick was covering everything from 1800m upwards. The first pictures are of the Nufenen, the road we rode on one of the previous reports. Still the road itself was devoid of the white stuff, so we said let's go on.
On the south side, the clouds were hanging on to the mountain, and we had about 6 degrees above freezing. Booties, tights, long sleeves, and off we were.
Well, it was a serious test for many things.
The Hors Cat had its first serious test of function and it passed admirably. The cobbles were muted perfectly, making progress more a function of pedaling rather than elevating one's rear end from the saddle enough for confort. MC felt a decrease of the rumble with the ST rear end too, but likely to a lesseer degree.
The weather turned slowly difficult to handle, with a drizzle engulfing us as we entered the clouds. As long as we pedaled, we were nice and warm. No stopping though, we got cold in seconds.
The snow was the hard part. We could cross the smaller patches, but there were increasing stretches of several inches' worth. These were not rideable.
After a few miles of bunny hopping the deeper stuff, it made no sense to keep on going. That brought the last test.

You see, normally one does not descend the Val Tremola. There is a main paved road to the pass that we use for descents. Not reaching the summit meant several miles of cobblestone downhill, with wet/frozen brakes (and fingers, feet, etc..).

Nothing shook loose, no crashes, and only one finger still sore after several hours (small frostbite). A lot of cleaning though.
I will go back in a few weeks if the weather gets better again before it gets in complete winter mode.

csm
09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
wow. that looks fun.

saab2000
09-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Schön, huh? :beer:

Gothard
09-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Saab, we stopped at the red X

saab2000
09-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Saab, we stopped at the red X

I have never ridden over the road, but have driven over the Gotthard and through the tunnel too many times to count. I was based in Lugano for two years but lived in Pfäffikon/ZH.

This picture was taken on one of my many trips over. I almost always went over the top because it is so much nicer than the tunnel. Tunnel is faster though if there is no traffic.

Once I think I was the last car of the season over the top!! :beer: I was in my Opel Cabriolet and the snow got thicker as I went up. The crews were already at the top getting ready to close it and I don't think there was anyone behind me.

I love going over those passes too!!

The Klausen was one of my favorites because I could get to it without driving. I went over Rapperswil and Schindelleggi and Schwyz to Altdorf, over the pass to Glarus and back via Uznach and Eschenbach. 190 KM and a pair of sore legs.

But a spectacular ride!! :beer:

Pete Serotta
09-29-2007, 01:51 PM
George - you all are brave souls....

I can not describe how much I like seeing your pictures..

THANKS PETE

Gothard
09-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Pete, thank you. Anything to be outside, on a bike.
The main point of the rides is that as long as I can pedal, it is worth it. Today's belgian summer was a limit, in that I could no longer pedal. I am kind of frustrated though because the legs were going nicely.The first picture gives you an idea how bad it was. Taken at about 15ft distance. 2nd pic is 5 hours later. :beer:

sbornia
09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
GREAT pix! I rode over the Gottardo a few times, once during the annual 100km randonnee they hold in Ticino. I think it was late June, cold and raining the last few k's up to the top and people were foraging in the garbage cans for newspapers, plastic bags, anything to cover their bodies from the weather. The descent down the other side was miserable, but then it cleared up and we got warm.

Spinner
09-29-2007, 03:38 PM
... Johnny Cash looks cold. Brrrrrrr.

justinf
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Amazing. . .you guys have been riding! We love your pictures.
Justin and Sarah

Dekonick
09-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Casssshhhhtastic!

rwsaunders
09-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Fantastic photos. I always enjoy viewing your routes.

Smiley
09-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Hors Categorie Rocks the Mountains :banana: