PDA

View Full Version : OT: the monks of myanmar

Climb01742
09-28-2007, 12:06 PM
i am in awe of the courage of the buddhist monks in what was burma. the certainty of harm coming to them is nearly 100%, yet they march.

i don't want to turn this into a political thread. i often dispair about humanity. then someone like the monks give me hope.

JohnS
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Not to be cynical, but they don't stand a chance. Although there are rumors that there might be oil in Myanmar, unless there is, the rest of the world won't give the people anything but lip service. Terrible, but true... :confused:

jeffg
09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Not to be cynical, but they don't stand a chance. Although there are rumors that there might be oil in Myanmar, unless there is, the rest of the world won't give the people anything but lip service. Terrible, but true... :confused:

I don't think that is what Climb is getting at.

The monks may have no chance against the army, but humanity has little chance without people like the monks.

Pete Serotta
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Yes, they are brave and hopefully will influence some change or at least some moderation....

Bill Bove
09-28-2007, 01:24 PM
+1 Climb and Jeff. John, don't ask me why but I have a feeling that they may do something. I just hope it doesn't get back to the point where they start lighting themselves on fire again.

Climb01742
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
politics is often filled with words like courage, beliefs, sacrifice. instead of words, these monks and thousands in myanmar seem to be living it, not talking it. isn't there a line in a movie that goes "the lost causes are the ones most worth fighting for."

davids
09-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I wrote a fairly long reply to climb's post and when I hit "submit" the board was down... The far reach of the Myanmar security forces?

So.

I deeply admire these people, with the strength of their convictions and the bravery to non-violently resist.

I read David Halberstam's "The Children" a few years back, and came to a strong appreciation of the power and courage of non-violent resistance, both as a morally strong position, and as overwhelmingly compelling theatre.

I wish the people of Myanmar a free and peaceful future.

Fixed
09-28-2007, 04:20 PM
do no harm

cheers

Too Tall
09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for saying something ClimbingOne.
What is happening there reflects on so many
things and history past present and future.

urchin
09-28-2007, 05:28 PM
about the people of Myanmar is their ability to be so, well, Buddhist amongst all of the suffering that has affected them for the last 50 or so years. I have been fortunate enough to visit the country three times before and am planning to go again in February.

I'm reasonably well traveled and Myanmar by far is the country I have enjoyed visiting most. The stories you hear about the hospitality and general warmth of the people there is absolutely true. It always surprised me that I never felt that the Burmese resented me for having so much, while they had so little - but that is the Buddhist way. As an American it's hard for me to understand a way of life that is so hard. Other forumites who have visited will have much to add, I'm sure.

As you travel through the country you realize that just like most of humanity, these are people who just want to go about their lives, working at whatever makes them happy, provide for their families, see their children do the same. In a lot of the country you feel like that might actually happen.

While I have little faith that unarmed monks and citizens have much chance against the junta, I too admire the faith and acceptance that the Buddhists have. What they don't even realize is that they have made a huge impact - this is getting a lot of international coverage. I'm sure they have no idea that anyone outside of Myanmar is even aware of what they are doing - that to me is what makes this so much more powerful.

Climb01742
09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
moral highground, in the short run, can't defeat bullets, but can in the long run. it's frustrating that we're watching a people who genuinely yearn for freedom and democracy, and are willing to die for it, yet the world is just watching, meanwhile in iraq... :crap:

72gmc
09-28-2007, 06:20 PM
To me, a cycle of repeated deadly force against nonviolent protests is a demonstration of how oppressors try, and fail, to hold the lid down on an explosion... of peace. I hope for the day they have it.