PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bikes in Wall Street Journal today

Pete Serotta
09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Custom bike article in WSJ today (leisure section) Not custom sizing just custom paint......

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119092693639341667.html?mod=hpp_us_leisure

deechee
09-28-2007, 11:45 AM
"The buyers, overwhelmingly, are married, white, older than 40 years old, with children and an average annual household income of $86,000, according to Boulder Sports Research's latest report on the bicycle industry. National Sporting Goods Association in Mount Prospect, Ill., says 7.2 million Americans ages 45 to 64 rode bicycles seven or more times last year"

7 or more times? in a YEAR? ... what a waste.

Hardlyrob
09-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I saw that today. What was interesting was that it really wasn't about custom bikes, but limited editions or "signature" versions of stock bikes.

Don and NAHBS got mentioned :banana: , but it seemed to miss the whole do it custom movement, and especially one of the leading custom manufacturers.

Someone from Serotta should email the WSJ reporter and let them know that Serotta is available as a resource for them in the future for high end / custom bikes. Chances are the reporter is now the WSJ bike "expert" and they always need sources that will get back to them quickly.

We do that in my biz, and get great PR for free from it.

Cheers!

Rob

e-RICHIE
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
a bicycle runs through it atmo.

Louis
09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
a bicycle runs through it atmo.

Young Men and Fire

barry1021
09-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I saw that today. What was interesting was that it really wasn't about custom bikes, but limited editions or "signature" versions of stock bikes.

Don and NAHBS got mentioned :banana: , but it seemed to miss the whole do it custom movement, and especially one of the leading custom manufacturers.

Someone from Serotta should email the WSJ reporter and let them know that Serotta is available as a resource for them in the future for high end / custom bikes. Chances are the reporter is now the WSJ bike "expert" and they always need sources that will get back to them quickly.

We do that in my biz, and get great PR for free from it.

Cheers!

Rob

the thread about Serotta price increases, don't you think?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Serotta knows their market.

b21

csm
09-29-2007, 09:37 AM
in my family there was no clear line between religion and cycling.

Grant McLean
09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

:)

Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up*: I like the names they have for cars. Like, no baron has ever owned a LeBaron. Or the Ford LTD.
"LTD." Limited. It's a "limited" edition...what did they make, fifty million of those? "Yes, it's 'limited' to the number we can sell."

-g

big shanty
09-29-2007, 10:42 AM
My observation, as a long-time NYT subscriber, is that most articles get recycled 3-4 times. This is basically the same "cycling is the new golf" article that the NYT puts out every 6 months.

Nothing wrong with cycling, and nothing wrong with golf IMO. Two pastimes where people with too much disposable income spend an azzload of money on equipment, that sometimes leads to an incremental improvement in performance, although usually not. Works for me!

I Want Sachs?
09-29-2007, 11:40 AM
My observation, as a long-time NYT subscriber, is that most articles get recycled 3-4 times.

Unfortunately many of the fancy bikes also don't get cycled much more than 3-4 times.