PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross/commuter pedals - what do you like?

Clydesdale
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I just got a good deal on a cyclocross bike for winter mileage and commuting, but it comes without pedals. I'm thinking MTB pedals will be the way to go. Any suggestions.

Fixed
09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
crank bro
imho cheers

Kines
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
nothing but egg beaters.

Kevan
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
are awesome.

I use my Bebops, but they're not too common and the platform is really too small as a work around if I just want to ride the bike down to the post office and around town, wearing my sneaks.

On the flip side, the shimano mtb shoes I recently bought are easy on and off, can walk anywhere, and feel like bedroom slippers. Best thing I've bought in a LONG time. luv'm

thejen12
09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
On the flip side, the shimano mtb shoes I recently bought are easy on and off, can walk anywhere, and feel like bedroom slippers. Best thing I've bought in a LONG time. luv'm
I feel the same way about my Specialized top-o-the-line mtb shoes, so comfy! And the carbon sole keeps me from getting any hot-spots.

I tried frogs, but didn't like them because they don't have a positive "click" or feel when clipping in, so I never knew if I was clipped in unless I tried to pull out. Went to egg beaters because you can also get shorter spindles for them (in stainless or ti) to lower the Q-factor so they feel more like road pedals. I had trouble getting used to only 6-deg of float (because I use speedplay road pedals), but I finally got them adjusted okay. Rode them on a week-long tour a couple of weeks ago and they worked out great.

Jenn

Steve Hampsten
09-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Love my Shimano 959 or whatever they're called these days.

Crank Bros work fine but the bearings and bushings need occasional replacement - just sayin'. And it sucks riding them in flip-flops.

GregL
09-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Shimano PD-M520. Dirt cheap, reliable, re-buildable, and every bit as easy to use as the higher-end XT and XTR models. I've got them on my 'cross bike, tandem, and MTB.

Regards,
Greg

CNY rider
09-28-2007, 01:14 PM
+1 on the Crank Bros.

I have several pairs of the stainless Candies which I use on my commuter bikes.
It's good to be able to just stomp on the platform when you need to pull out in traffic and don't have time to look down and clip in.

Dekonick
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
no one else uses ATAC's?

I love my Time ATAC's. Cost more than crank bro's...but nice :)

SWorks4me
09-28-2007, 02:14 PM
no one else uses ATAC's?

+1

Kevan
09-28-2007, 02:32 PM
no one else uses ATAC's?

pretty near sneaker friendly too.

d_douglas
09-28-2007, 02:48 PM
I have a set of ATAC downhill pedals on my commuter and they are great. Times are the bomb, feel positive when you click in and are super reliable. I have a set of the older ones on my MTB in near new condition, but I want to unload them and get another set of DH pedals for that bike too.

After all that, pedal technology has pretty much been nailed - I like Times, but every company makes good products these days.

DD

MarcusPless
09-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Time ATAC XS here.

Bruce K
09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Crank Bros Candys.

BK

djg
09-28-2007, 07:02 PM
no one else uses ATAC's?

I do -- I've got them on the cross bike and the fixie/commuter.

Peter P.
09-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Shimano SPDs. I use the single sided version.

For shoes, I use:
http://bike.shimano.com/media/images/cycling/products/actionsports/SH/SH-MT40_popup_v1_m56577569830601837.jpg

Comfortable for all day wear, and warmer than plastic/nylon ATB racing style shoes. If you're using shoe covers with these, you have to go a size or two larger.

Bud
09-29-2007, 09:57 AM
SPD stuff for me in that application. Shimano mtb shoes (the good ones) and cheap M520's as someone else said. I also use the "campus" pedals on my fiexed, which are platforms with spd's on one side.

michael white
09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
the best commuting setup is MKS Touring pedals with Birkenstocks imho.

labratmatt
09-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Crank Bros. seem to be reasonable. I'd go with the candies for a cross bike. I ride with a couple of guys who have nothing but good things to say about their Time MTB pedals.

bw77
09-29-2007, 02:09 PM
SPD stuff for me in that application. Shimano mtb shoes (the good ones) and cheap M520's as someone else said. I also use the "campus" pedals on my fiexed, which are platforms with spd's on one side.

Which are "the good ones"?

Pedro72
09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
+1 on the Egg Beaters.

d_douglas
09-29-2007, 03:22 PM
as per request, here are my pedals - these are like new, as I used them on my road bike for maybe 200km before switching back to road pedals.

I never understood why Time made the contact plate a bright colour like yellow, since they get so much wear there, but that's the way it goes...

Great pedals that have a very nice snap when you get in or out of them 0 you have no doubts whether you are secured or not! Love em...

Never posted my MTB before - her photo is in the custom bikes section. Its a dream to ride!

nowheels
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm partial to Time ATAC's myself.....gave up on crank brothers a few seasons ago......of course cannot ride cross this year as my left knee has been giving me endless grief.