PDA

View Full Version : OT - Suggestions on how to sell a CD music collection

Delpo
09-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Any one with experience of selling a record collection? I have around 900 CD's that have been digitized and that I would like to move out of my physical space. Would I be better off selling as a lot, sub lots by genre...Ebay? Local record shop? Thanks for reading and for your input.

Regards,

Delpo

Ken Robb
09-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd get a bid from a dealer or two because that would be the easiest way for you. If they seem too low I'd try selling on-line by genre. One at a time would be way too much trouble and I think only a dealer would buy the whole bunch. Heck even a dealer might not want anything too esoteric.

saab2000
09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Used record store.

You may well end up just giving a lot of them away. I gave away a bunch of old vinyl records once because I knew it was not worth the hassle of trying to sell them.

CD's are the new vinyl and in not too long a time they will be like 8-tracks.

quaintjh
09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Used record store.

You may well end up just giving a lot of them away. I gave away a bunch of old vinyl records once because I knew it was not worth the hassle of trying to sell them.

Shimano=CD
Campagnolo=vinyl

dannyg1
09-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Don't make a mistake and just give the stuff away to a used CD store. Depending on what your taste in music is and the condition of the aforementioned CD's, you might be sitting on some very valuable stuff. In example, the first Chaka Khan CD is worth over $100. Go to Ebay and do a 'highest first' completed listings search on a blank search field in the CD catagory; I think you might be amazed at what some things are worth.

DG1

SoCalSteve
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
ebay has a media division called www.half.com try there. Music stores will give you VERY little $$$, unless you want to trade, then they will just give you just a little.

Best selling on your own.

Good luck!

Steve

fiddlels
09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I have spent the greater part of the past two years selling my father's enormous music collection. About 1500 records, 1000 CD's, Cassettes. The whole bit. It does take time! My largest selling resource is a being a marketplace seller on Amazon. You list each item and compete with the other sellers. Amazon takes a hefty commision on each item sold but CD's really sell if priced right. You will get more than selling them to another vendor which will do the same thing. You have to renew listings every 60 days which don't sell, but they sell automatically. Half.com is another place. You list them one time and they are forever up for sale until sold or removed. Sales are slower with Half.com than Amazon. Some records can be listed on Amazon, but Ebay is the best for them. Mostly you are selling to other record dealers so you will not get a huge amount unless it is a popular record or rare. You can sell pricier records as singles, or group a like group together. U Haul storage boxes are good for selling a lot of 100 at a time of a certain genre. I have sold my records by 1 up to 100! Records may have to be listed multiple times before they sell. Records are the most time consuming. CD lots sell pretty good also on Ebay and cassettes too. You can set your own shipping costs on Ebay. Amazon and Half.com tell you what you earn to ship. Media mail is your friend selling these things. The Automatic Postal Machine too. There is no cost upfront to be a Ebay, Amazon, or Half.com seller. Only time cost. My estate sales have reached a larger figure than I ever expected though. And you get personal satisfaction for reaching another person who loves the CD as much as you did. Good luck with your collection.

chuckroast
09-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Thread veer....nothing is cooler than be-bop on vinyl. I go to a lot of estate sales and picking up old records is a treat. They still sound better than CD's imho.

pjm
09-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Vinyl lives! For some of us. :) But for most, sadly, convenience wins out over sound quality. :confused: I think I'll go cue up my new remastered pressing of Aja, and turn out the lights, listen, and watch my vacuum tubes glow! :D

onekgguy
09-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Used record store.

Saab...would that have been Cheapo's (http://www.cheapodiscs.com/mn.htm) on Snelling in St. Paul? 15 years ago or so I used to go there to browse the old LPs. It's still there but I haven't stopped by in quite a while.

Kevin g