PDA

View Full Version : My visit to the anti-Interbike - Jitensha

sbornia
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Swoop's thread about soulless, plastic Vegas had me thinking about my quick stop by Jitensha Studio (http://www.jitensha.com/eng/e_index.html) today. Some of you own Ebisu frames and have praised them highly here. I hadn't been in the shop in a year or so, and was struck by how nice it is. Frames hanging in the windows, a half-dozen bikes on the floor. Some parts on shelves in the back, mechanic's tools laid out on a table. I've never been to Japan, but it strikes me as a reflection of stereotypical Japanese space -- small, clean, super organized, and elegant in a German/non-Italian kind of way. And the bikes. Wow. I'm not a retro-grouch, pining away for non-aero hoods and down-tube shifters, but wow still. Soul in abundance. Purposeful but still pretty. If my girlfriend-who-does-not-ride-yet really got into it, I'd buy her an Ebisu mixte in a heartbeat.

Anyway, if you ever find yourself visiting Berkeley, you won't regret checking out Jitensha. If you appreciate lugged steel, or fine craftsmanship in general, or simply unique bike shops, it will put a smile on your face.

Steve Hampsten
09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
i (heart) hiroshi

ronlau
09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
I did buy my wife a mixte there. Got most of the details down except one thing: color. I will let Hiroshi pick it, I trust his taste.

Swoop's thread about soulless, plastic Vegas had me thinking about my quick stop by Jitensha Studio today. Some of you own Ebisu frames and have praised them highly here. I hadn't been in the shop in a year or so, and was struck by how nice it is. Frames hanging in the windows, a half-dozen bikes on the floor. Some parts on shelves in the back, mechanic's tools laid out on a table. I've never been to Japan, but it strikes me as a reflection of stereotypical Japanese space -- small, clean, super organized, and elegant in a German/non-Italian kind of way. And the bikes. Wow. I'm not a retro-grouch, pining away for non-aero hoods and down-tube shifters, but wow still. Soul in abundance. Purposeful but still pretty. If my girlfriend-who-does-not-ride-yet really got into it, I'd buy her an Ebisu mixte in a heartbeat.

Anyway, if you ever find yourself visiting Berkeley, you won't regret checking out Jitensha. If you appreciate lugged steel, or fine craftsmanship in general, or simply unique bike shops, it will put a smile on your face.