PDA

View Full Version : How does body weight affect ride quality?

Sandy
09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I have lost about 35 pounds. When I bought my 2004 Ottrott ST, it was built using firm flex tubing, the second stiffest category for Ottrott tubing at the time. I believe, after my weight loss, my bike gives a harsher ride quality- I think I feel the imperfections and harshness in road surfaces more so than in the past. For those of you who actuallyhave clue as to what they are talking about (versus me), how will a substantial loss of weight affect ride quality, if at all?

Thanks.

Sandy

coylifut
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I have lost about 35 pounds. When I bought my 2004 Ottrott ST, it was built using firm flex tubing, the second stiffest category for Ottrott tubing at the time. I believe, after my weight loss, my bike gives a harsher ride quality- I think I feel the imperfections and harshness in road surfaces more so than in the past. For those of you who actuallyhave clue as to what they are talking about (versus me), how will a substantial loss of weight affect ride quality, if at all?

Thanks.

Sandy

I think you need to start over with a new Meveici for sure

Sandy
09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I think you need to start over with a new Meveici for sure

That would be very nice indeed. I think that I will take the all steel CDA route.

Sandy

e-RICHIE
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks.

Sandy
sandy -
you need to ride more and ride regularly. atmo there is
no correlation between your weight loss and the new-found
feel of the bicycle. perhaps you need to ease yourself back
into a routine in which the amount of time in the saddle
allows the bicycle to be an extension of you. if it was once,
it will be again. congrats on the weight loss. now go out and
ride atmo.

coylifut
09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
sandy -
you need to ride more and ride regularly. atmo there is
no correlation between your weight loss and the new-found
feel of the bicycle. perhaps you need to ease yourself back
into a routine in which the amount of time in the saddle
allows the bicycle to be an extension of you. if it was once,
it will be again. congrats on the weight loss. now go out and
ride atmo.

sandy, don't listen to him, he didn't even go to Interbike, what's he know?

Sandy
09-27-2007, 07:59 PM
sandy, don't listen to him, he didn't even go to Interbike, what's he know?

I was thinking that. I think he went last year, but got really confused with the lingo that the builders were using. I suggested that he take an apprentice job at Trek or someplace to start to learn what building bikes is all about....Now when I call him, he just hangs up on me.....

Sachs Sandy

e-RICHIE
09-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I was thinking that. I think he went last year, but got really confused with the lingo that the builders were using. I suggested that he take an apprentice job at Trek or someplace to start to learn what building bikes is all about....Now when I call him, he just hangs up on me.....

Sachs Sandy
i will always take your calls pal and know i have
a friend in the wholesale meat industry too. look,
i know i'm too forthright here, but the way it works
is this: all your woes will be helped by riding. get
a gig. pay attention to cadence. throw the 'effin
computer away. never count distance. always count
duration. and keep the rpm's high and consistant.
all of this atmo.

mflaherty37
09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
My bike feels smother and I haven't changed in weight. I keep looking for cracks but there are none.

weisan
09-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Sandy, forget the phinney book I was tellin' you ab'ot. Richie-sawa distilled it down to a few words of wisdom for you. You can bring that to the bank.

chuckred
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd guess more than anything, if you're using the same tire pressure you used at 35 pounds heavier, it's now too high... try lowering it a bit...?

A 35 pound drop in weight might call for a 5 - 10 psi decrease...

flydhest
09-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Sandy,

I have been between 225 and 185 on my Legend. I think tire pressure is likely your answer at this point. I don't--personally--think that this difference in body weight is all that important for the issues you raise.

DarrenCT
09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
whatsup with all this scientific stuff?? i just ride my bike and enjoy...

Sandy
09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I'd guess more than anything, if you're using the same tire pressure you used at 35 pounds heavier, it's now too high... try lowering it a bit...?

A 35 pound drop in weight might call for a 5 - 10 psi decrease...

I use 700x25 tires, with 95 front and 105 rear. I was thinking of trying diffferent pressures, but I never did really use too much in the first place. I was using the same psi 35 pounds ago. I am around 190, so I still am not what one would call a light cyclist.

Sandy

TimB
09-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Sandy - after losing 35 pounds, you're now a harda$$, which is why you feel the road more...enjoy!

Fixed
09-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Sandy - after losing 35 pounds, you're now a harda$$, which is why you feel the road more...enjoy!
+1
cheers

Dave B
09-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Tire pressure!!!!!!!!!

Sandy
09-28-2007, 01:50 PM

I think that Serotta thinks that I am a pain in the a$$ presently. :)

Sandy

PS- Hope that your beautiful family is doing well. That starts with the wife, down to the kids. Not sure where you fit in!! :)

Sandy
09-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Sandy,

I have been between 225 and 185 on my Legend. I think tire pressure is likely your answer at this point. I don't--personally--think that this difference in body weight is all that important for the issues you raise.

Are you telling me that you are going to let me weigh lesss than you? I only have 5 pounds to get to 185.

Slimmer Still Snail Slow Simple Sandy

e-RICHIE
09-28-2007, 03:08 PM
sandy how much time in the saddle today atmo?

swoop
09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
this is weird.. but i was just looking at my astrological table and my season's results and fitting that into a complex set of matrices that involve my sex life and i just realized that sandy's weight has a direct correlation to my performance.

jesus.

e-RICHIE
09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
this is weird.. but i was just looking at my astrological table and my season's results and fitting that into a complex set of matrices that involve my sex life and i just realized that sandy's weight has a direction correlation to my performance.

jesus.
see www.lickbike.com asap atmo

Sandy
09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
this is weird.. but i was just looking at my astrological table and my season's results and fitting that into a complex set of matrices that involve my sex life and i just realized that sandy's weight has a direction correlation to my performance.

jesus.

You are in a world of trouble! For a very long time. :rolleyes:

Sandy

Sandy
09-28-2007, 03:21 PM
sandy how much time in the saddle today atmo?

Actuall, I went on a reasonably slow group ride. The ride was 32 miles. I didn't pay any attention to time or average speed, but I did try to spin a lot at a high cadence. I can spin at a high cadence easily, but my legs do get tired too quickly doing it. I have no problem cadiovascularly. I think you would say to simply spend lots of saddle time spinning. If I remember correctly, you said 70 minutes a day, every day.

Sinner Sandy.....I mean Spinner Sandy

swoop
09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
sandy.. move a tiny bit forward on your saddle and tighten your core muscles.. the ones way in the center of your belly. keep a loose grip on the bars. think of the spin coming from the core of you and that your legs generate momentum from your center.
try and take deep breaths and relax anything that isn't being recruited into the pedals. let your legs go fast but let your body slow down. look ahead.

on one ride a week take the last half hour of the ride and put it in the hardest gear you can turn. keep your rpm's very low, put your hands in the drops,
and try and put pressure through the entire pedal stroke. yang to the yin.

whenever you can.. ride your lovely roadbike in the grass.

that should help.

flydhest
09-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Are you telling me that you are going to let me weigh lesss than you? I only have 5 pounds to get to 185.

Then we will see whether or not weight is what determines how fast people climb hills.

e-RICHIE
09-28-2007, 03:31 PM
sandy - my secret weapom cum best advice is to you
is always allow the words and music to desolation row
play between those cute little ears of yours atmo.

Sandy
09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Then we will see whether or not weight is what determines how fast people climb hills.

I have been convinced for a long time that body weight is a very significant factor in climbing. However, I think that pedal stroke is perhaps the most important assetor liability in all aspects of cycling. In hill climing, I must add strength as being particularly important. I know that one thing I must do is gain leg strength.

I went on a CC ride today, but there were some (always are) cyclists who were well above the CC level. The two best cyclists (who ride a lot and do many long rides) were easily the class of the field. They were the heaviest cyclists too. One weighs 192 and is 6" 2"or so. The other is about 5"11' and weighs about 215. The former did not spin that much nor was I really impressed by his pedal stroke. The latter had a faster and smoother spin when he wanted it. But what made them climb hills so well, per my observation, was their strength.

I may have lost muscle mass as I lost weight. I know that I need extra strength.

You could outclimb me on any hill even if you were heavier than me. The biggest reasons, I believe, would be more strength and a better pedal stroke....and of course the fact that I wouldn't want to embarrass you as I zipped on by ...... :)

KOM Serotta Sandy

Ken Robb
09-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Instead of 95ft-105rear psi in my 700x25 conti 4000 on the Kirk I went 90-95 and it made a HUGE difference in comfort. I'm 200lbs nekkid so I'm a good test pilot for Sandy.

Fixed
09-28-2007, 05:45 PM
bro ..sandy what kinda wheels you rollin ?
cheers

zeroking17
09-28-2007, 05:54 PM
<nip> pay attention to cadence. throw the 'effin
computer away. never count distance. always count
duration. and keep the rpm's high and consistant.
<tuck>

I've just made this my cycling mission statement.

Sandy
09-30-2007, 12:07 AM
I think that I found out why my bike seemed to be riding harsher, at least a portion of it. I took the bike to the shop, as I was having a problem with a Look pedal. I mentioned that I was getting a thump thump oneach revolution ot the rear wheel when I was braking. I had thought that the problem was the seam of the rim. I was correct.The rims had seen lots of miles. After inspection, the mechanic said that I should not use the rim as it had developed a crack and was no longer safe. I had noticed the wear before but did not realize that it was that bad.

I have two sets of wheels and put on the other. The set I put on is a very light set and normally rides a little harsher than the ones I took off. But the ride quality was substantially better, and I even descended better as perhaps some of my trepidation in descending was the harshness I was feeling.

I will adjust the psi and see how that affects the ride too.

Thanks so much everyone for your comments herein. Very helpful.

Sandy

djg
09-30-2007, 07:17 AM

Sandy, fly is rather tall for an economist. Still, if you practice this one important hill climbing technique he will never drop the new svelte Sandy on a climb: sit on the back of his tandem.

Samster
09-30-2007, 11:47 AM
i find my bikes (every single one of them) feel harsher when i pick up my mileage. i think its because i'm tired and also due to my a$$ hurting.

Sandy
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Sandy, fly is rather tall for an economist. Still, if you practice this one important hill climbing technique he will never drop the new svelte Sandy on a climb: sit on the back of his tandem.

Of course he is tall. He is an economist. He must be tall so that he can tell some tall stories when he predicts next year interest rates and even taller ones when he trys to explain why his predictions were so wrong.... :rolleyes:

Predicting when fly will beat me up.... :)

Sandy

Sandy
09-30-2007, 02:09 PM
i find my bikes (every single one of them) feel harsher when i pick up my mileage. i think its because i'm tired and also due to my a$$ hurting.

I think most of us can relate to that.

Sandy

flydhest
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Sandy,
I would never beat you up . . . except a climb.

You didn't come to the shop ride today either. Despite being the corpulent fellow that I am, I was the second one up the Macarthur Blvd hill today. Of note, a 23 year old that weighs 145 was behind me.

Yes, the legs and the lungs hurt, if you're curious.

Dan, you think the Doctor is going to give up one of the best seats in the house (so to speak) ?

djg
10-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Sandy,

Dan, you think the Doctor is going to give up one of the best seats in the house (so to speak) ?

I dunno, but ... hey, I think those real doctors are trained to help others. Ok, so my technique has some implementation problems. Still, it could work.

palincss
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Have you reduced your tire pressure? If not, assuming you had the correct pressure before, you now have too much air pressure, which definitely will cause a harsher ride.

palincss
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I use 700x25 tires, with 95 front and 105 rear. I was thinking of trying diffferent pressures, but I never did really use too much in the first place. I was using the same psi 35 pounds ago. I am around 190, so I still am not what one would call a light cyclist.

Sandy

I weigh around 209 and I'm using around 85 front, 95 rear with my Michelin 700x25 Axial Carbons. If I were to run at 95 front 105 rear (which I have done in the past) I know it would give me a much harsher ride.

swoop
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
the truth is.. if i get to a pretty anorexic place i feel really sharp and so does the bike. anything other than that and i fight the thing a little bit. so, what i do.. is i fight the thing a little bit. its just a fun part of life, the biking, but it can only ebver be a passionate hobby.. i lack the talent or skill to make it worth doing what one can do to themselves to maximize the thing. i am a diletantte.

palincss
10-01-2007, 10:08 AM
sandy - my secret weapom cum best advice is to you
is always allow the words and music to desolation row
play between those cute little ears of yours atmo.

Subterranean Homesick Blues works better for me, when it comes to maintaining a sustained driving cadence. Desolation Row has too slow a cadence, atmo.

RPS
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
how will a substantial loss of weight affect ride quality, if at all?Same bike + lighter rider = harsher ride most of the time

Unless your frame can be adjusted to your new weight ( :rolleyes: ), lower air pressure is your best option IMO.

e-RICHIE
10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Subterranean Homesick Blues works better for me, when it comes to maintaining a sustained driving cadence. Desolation Row has too slow a cadence, atmo.
you need a faster imagination atmo.
check your internal hummer and lemme know.