PDA

View Full Version : Bike for my wife?

dauwhe
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
My wife and I ride together every once in a while. She has a $250 Trek Hybrid that she likes, but it drives me crazy, mostly because I find it very hard to work on--I have no idea how to adjust really cheap V-brakes, and it's hard to get the front wheel in the fork as the spacing isn't quite right.

I'd like to get her a bike that we would both like. She's not a performance rider (we average 9mph or so), and likes the very upright position and upright bars. But she has no problems with 700 x 28 tires.

I think a 700c Kogswell P/R Mixte would be perfect, but I don't think they exist yet (and might not exist as 700c anyway).

Any thoughts out there?

Dave

goonster
09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Bianchi Milano
Riv Glorius, for that 650b goodness
+1 on the Kogswell

Are you looking to reuse the wheels, or is there some other reason you prefer 700c?

justinf
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Dave--knowing your tastes to some degree, I'd recommend an 80s or 90s handmade steel frame, built up with 105 or Ultegra. Cash outlay is reasonable and if she likes it you may have a keeper. It's definitely a buyer's market right now (CSI "debate" anyone?).

I did this to get my wife started with a 531 Mercian. I built it with 105 9-speed. She fell in love with the frame and won't allow me to get her another one. So, I finally rebuilt it with Chorus this month. (It's beautiful too--pics soon).

jf

J.Greene
09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
The Riv Glorius or Wilbury is one of the few frames I still covet. If you get one tell them that Bill sent you.

JG

My wife and I ride together every once in a while. She has a $250 Trek Hybrid that she likes, but it drives me crazy, mostly because I find it very hard to work on--I have no idea how to adjust really cheap V-brakes, and it's hard to get the front wheel in the fork as the spacing isn't quite right.

I'd like to get her a bike that we would both like. She's not a performance rider (we average 9mph or so), and likes the very upright position and upright bars. But she has no problems with 700 x 28 tires.

I think a 700c Kogswell P/R Mixte would be perfect, but I don't think they exist yet (and might not exist as 700c anyway).

Any thoughts out there?

Dave

mschol17
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I think the Jitensha and Velo Orange Mixtes are beautiful.

http://picasaweb.google.com/VeloOrange/SilverMixte
http://tinyurl.com/37949y
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/ebisumixte_e.html

dauwhe
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Milano looks interesting... Thanks! I've also thought about the Bianchi San Jos8 (a San Jose converted to 8sp internal gear hub by Harris Cyclery).

A Glorius would be fabulous, but the wait and the expense might be a bit much. ANT could make a pretty cool bike, but again the wait :(

I'm a bit wary of 650B for her just because she seems to like narrow tires (no accounting for taste!). But I do have some 650B Megamiums, which are 29mm... Perhaps I should put the Albatross bars I have lying around on my Saluki, put on the Megamiums, and see what she thinks?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Dave

J.Greene
09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
A Glorius would be fabulous, but the wait and the expense might be a bit much. ANT could make a pretty cool bike, but again the wait :(

Dave

Are they really out? I was under the impression they had some in stock.

JG

dauwhe
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought they had them unpainted, and there was quite a wait for the painting... I'll go check it out, methinks...

Dave

goonster
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm a bit wary of 650B for her just because she seems to like narrow tires

Blind ride test!

No seriously, my wife was wary of the Mitsuboshis. She expected a plush ride but possibly a bit slow. Then she got on her Glorius, took off down the path and beamed "this thing is fast!"

I've never ridden a Milano, but have heard only good things about them. Apparently it's one of those bikes that doesn't look like much but just "works" and consistently exceeds people's expectations.

dauwhe
09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Ordering, delivery All sizes are in stock, but it takes 3 months to paint them. If you want one, order it with a $200 non-refundable deposit. These bikes are special, extra lovely, really comfortable.

The future:

Sometime in the Spring of 2008, we will have complete Glorius bicycles ready-equipped with our pick of parts. These parts are (will be) typical of the parts that go on our past and current "custom-spec'd" parts, including Albatross bars, Sugino crank, Shimano LX hubs, Nitto seat post and Tec Deluxe stem, Synergy rims, Panaracer tires, and soon. Since these bikes will come tous already 90percent assembled and with price breaks built into the full package, we'll be able to offer them at about $2500---or about $500 less than a nearly identical Glorius costs built from scratch.

Interesting!

J.Greene
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought they had them unpainted, and there was quite a wait for the painting... I'll go check it out, methinks...

Dave

your probably right then.

JG

gt6267a
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm a bit wary of 650B for her just because she seems to like narrow tires (no accounting for taste!). But I do have some 650B Megamiums, which are 29mm... Perhaps I should put the Albatross bars I have lying around on my Saluki, put on the Megamiums, and see what she thinks?

do you like the saluki? if she likes the setup you will never get it back. you will have to buy another saluki for youself. only risk it if you are not afraid to lose it.

mixtes are all the rage. go with the flow.

which one is this (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-84224226242177_1969_14703264)

goonster
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
which one is this (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-84224226242177_1969_14703264)

Velo Orange, built by Ahren Rogers.

Fantastic work.

edit: more info here (http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/search?q=mixte). Scroll down.

dauwhe
09-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Velo Orange, built by Ahren Rogers.

Fantastic work.

edit: more info here (http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/search?q=mixte). Scroll down.

That's wonderful! Another favorite is the Peter Weigle Mixte...

Dave

goonster
09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok, since we're headed down that path . . . ;)

Of all the bikes I've ever seen in person, one of my all-time favorites* is the mixte Hiroshi Iimura built for his wife in the mid 70's:

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/medium/022-mixy.jpg

(* another is the mustard-colored sportif that hangs on the wall)

Fixed
09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
ouie baby friction shifting
cheers bro
cool bike imho

dauwhe
09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Our first anniversary is on Monday. So I decided to do a makeover on the Saluki. It now has Albatross bars with cork grips. Took off all the rando gear (lights, racks, etc.), as she likes a lighter, simpler bike. Tonight I'll replace the tires and clean everything up. I'll also see if I can move the horrible cheap plastic seat from the Trek, which she says is very comfortable for her!

It looks great with the Albatross bars... and I enjoy doing bike makeovers.

If she loves it, it's hers. But it also might be a good way to start learning what she's really looking for in a bike.

I'll see if I can take a picture or two tonight.

Dave

Ken Robb
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
. I'll also see if I can move the horrible cheap plastic seat from the Trek, which she says is very comfortable for her!

I despaired of ever findind a saddle that my wife would like: Brooks, Terry, etc. all no good. She loves one I can't even id. It was in the take-off bin at the LBS for $10. Go figure. :) :banana:

dauwhe
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
. I'll also see if I can move the horrible cheap plastic seat from the Trek, which she says is very comfortable for her!

I despaired of ever findind a saddle that my wife would like: Brooks, Terry, etc. all no good. She loves one I can't even id. It was in the take-off bin at the LBS for $10. Go figure. :) :banana:

Maybe I could set up a quick-release seatpost. When the bike is not being ridden, it could have a beautiful B67. When she's actually ready to go for a ride, swap it for the ugly $10 saddle. That way I won't cringe every time I look at the bike!

: )

Dave

Ken Robb
09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
you are a wise man Dave, and I think your marriage will last. :beer: