PDA

View Full Version : Blood Work

David Kirk
09-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I had some blood work done last week and my hematocrit level was 47.8%.

Looks like I'm still legal to post here.

Dave

swoop
09-27-2007, 11:48 AM
yikes... you're a natural.
life at altitude?

LegendRider
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
yikes... you're a natural.
life at altitude?

au contraire. we don't have much room for manipulation.

jthurow
09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm jealous. When I used to give blood regularly, I would get rejected now and again b/c my hematocrit wasn't high enough. It usually hovers around the 37-38%. I think it only cracked 40% once.

jimi

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Do you know if this is standard when doing blood work to measure the hematocrit?

I have to get a physical in the next month and I figure they will do blood work. They always have in the past. It would be cool to know if I'm "legal!" . . .

BBD

David Kirk
09-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm reading on my printed out blood report that the desirable range is from 40 - 50%

Dave

J.Greene
09-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm jealous. When I used to give blood regularly, I would get rejected now and again b/c my hematocrit wasn't high enough. It usually hovers around the 37-38%. I think it only cracked 40% once.

jimi

I know a guy who knows a guy who can fix that. Tell him Bill sent you.

JG

Skrawny
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Mine is 110%, but I get to devide by 2 to account for my vanished twin.
-s

Fixed
09-27-2007, 01:51 PM
bro I stay away from that everytime they want to send to the doc.
I 'm just goin ride around till i fall over dead .
I know eveyday might be the last I kiss my wife amd hug my son .
I ride like it's the last time on the bike ..everyday is a reward imho
cheers

Geoff
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Me too.

We have to get the full physical every year for work. My HC always comes out around 47-48% and I live at pretty much sea level. I always thought that the limit of 50% seemed to low based on my numbers. It wouldnt take much dehydration for me to come out over the limit. I understand that training like a pro wil lcause the HC to decrease?

That been said I still suck. Looks like God was having some fun. " Him, well lets see, I will give him a lot of blood but no muscule to go with it."

G

Avispa
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I had some blood work done last week and my hematocrit level was 47.8%. Looks like I'm still legal to post here.

Dave,

A couple of years ago, I told you to stop eating them buffalo burgers and stuff from Karin's garden... You just don't listen, bro! I am gonna have to start forum off-line doping tests on ya!

A! :D

Karin Kirk
09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Dave,

A couple of years ago, I told you to stop eating them buffalo burgers and stuff from Karin's garden... You just don't listen, bro! I am gonna have to start forum off-line doping tests on ya!

A! :D

That's right... I did an experimental fertilizing plan this year. I got a great price on these frozen bags of blood. The website said they would make my plants 'additionally vigorous.'

Avispa
09-27-2007, 03:40 PM
That's right... I did an experimental fertilizing plan this year. I got a great price on these frozen bags of blood. The website said they would make my plants 'additionally vigorous.'

Ahhh.... That explains my over sized leaves.... Now, I my hematocrit must be 65%!!! :D :D

A!

spiderman
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
was that before or after
the autologous blood was drawn??
if after,
you should be able to dope up
very nicely
and drop the field
even on the most mountanous stage!

Karin Kirk
09-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Ahhh.... That explains my over sized leaves.... Now, I my hematocrit must be 65%!!! :D :D

A!
Well, only if you are eating those giant leaves.
Are you?
And if so, have you noticed that you've been needing to shave your legs more often?

Ginger
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
was that before or after
the autologous blood was drawn??
if after,
you should be able to dope up
very nicely
and drop the field
even on the most mountanous stage!

Um...you ever ride with Dave? He already does that...

Extremely politely.

My HCT was 43.9 in March and 47 in April of this year.
So why am I slow?

regularguy412
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Me too.

We have to get the full physical every year for work. My HC always comes out around 47-48% and I live at pretty much sea level. I always thought that the limit of 50% seemed to low based on my numbers. It wouldnt take much dehydration for me to come out over the limit. I understand that training like a pro wil lcause the HC to decrease?

That been said I still suck. Looks like God was having some fun. " Him, well lets see, I will give him a lot of blood but no muscule to go with it."

G

This was the question running through my head as I read through these posts. I don't want to start the "Landis-thing" over again, but couldn't dehydration be an issue?

Mike in AR

Too Tall
09-28-2007, 06:47 AM
That's a nice round number Dave. You got plans ?

spiderman
09-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Um...you ever ride with Dave? He already does that...

Extremely politely.

My HCT was 43.9 in March and 47 in April of this year.
So why am I slow?

so, dave, if you're not doping
the only question would be
how much do you want to win by...
a mile or 1.1 miles...?

michael white
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
has Dave been spotted in Italy yet?

Ginger
09-28-2007, 10:53 AM
has Dave been spotted in Italy yet?

Someone saw him in Mexico...or Montana...one of those "M" places...

thwart
09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I have to get a physical in the next month and I figure they will do blood work. They always have in the past. It would be cool to know if I'm "legal!" . . . A lot of docs will order several routine labs including a blood count when you go in for physical.

If I was a male with a blood count of 37-40%, as posted above, I would be taking iron, and be talking to my doc about it... I'd also donate blood less frequently. A blood count that low could actually be adversely affecting your performance capabilities.

jthurow
09-28-2007, 11:54 AM
If I was a male with a blood count of 37-40%, as posted above, I would be taking iron, and be talking to my doc about it... I'd also donate blood less frequently. A blood count that low could actually be adversely affecting your performance capabilities.Taking iron won't necessarily help, at least it didn't for me. My problem is an inability to absorb vitamin B12 & folic acid. At the very least, it gives me an excuse for getting dropped... :rolleyes:

jimi

Ginger
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah...my ferritin (measure of stored iron...I think) was down to 5 last year...now it's up to 25 last checked, but it's a constant battle. I feel better when it's higher...

With the celiac (which leads to poor absorption of nutrients) a CBC with the iron checks is a standard thing that my doctor orders when I show up at the office.

Of course, supplementation with iron without a test that shows you need it is dangerous...

GONE4ARIDE
09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Dave Kirk a.k.a. "Mr. 48"

David Kirk
09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
So seriously...........what is considered to be high or low for this? The printout I have list the acceptable range being from 40% to 50%. That' a pretty narrow range. Is 48 a lot more than 45?

Dave

thwart
09-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Normal range for men is typically 42% to 52% or thereabouts. For women the normal range is about 6% less.

I'm certainly no expert here :D , but I think you'd feel a blood dope (or an EPO effect) bringing your hematocrit from 45% to 48%. Especially if it happened over a relatively short period of time. That is very roughly equivalent to a pint of blood.

So was it EPO or the real thing? 'Fess up! ;)

David Kirk
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
I did it all on ginger snaps and Sam Adams Cream Stout.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Dave

Louis
09-29-2007, 12:29 AM
At the very least, it gives me an excuse for getting dropped...

Yeah, right. I know that can't happen very often, if ever.

Avispa
09-29-2007, 09:40 AM
...That is very roughly equivalent to a pint of blood....

How much blood is there in the average person's body? I heard this question on a TV Game show the other night; I didn't know the answer...

..A..

gt6267a
09-29-2007, 06:24 PM
With the celiac (which leads to poor absorption of nutrients) a CBC with the iron checks is a standard thing that my doctor orders when I show up at the office.

after being GF for xyz amount of time, don't the villi regrow fixing the poor absortion problem? isn't this why people who have taken to eating a GF diet need to eat gluten for weeks / months before a biopsy to show crappy villi?

Skrawny
09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
How much blood is there in the average person's body? I heard this question on a TV Game show the other night; I didn't know the answer...

Roughly 5 liters of blood in the human body.

-s