PDA

View Full Version : Cateye Astrale cadence problem

davids
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I installed replacement Astrale 8 on my wife's bike last night (I lost the old computer somewhere between Maine and Boston...)

She'd had problems with the cadence sensor, and I figured the old harness was the problem. This seemed to be confirmed when I popped the new computer into the old harness before removing the harness - Speed registered, but not cadence.

So, I replaced the harness. I attached the computer and... No cadence! ***?

I waved the new magnet in front of the sensor and - voilá - the "cadence" registers. OK, I'll replace the magnet, too.

I peeled the old magnet off and stuck the new one one. Once again, no cadence! I played with the position, moving the sensor until it touched the magnet - no cadence.

Now I waved the old magnet in front of the sensor - again, it registered! The sensor recognizes both magnets, but not when they're mounted on the crankarm.

The only constant I'm seeing is the crankarm itself. It's a Specialized house brand, on an '04 Sirrus. My guess is that it's steel, and is slightly magnetized, and screwing with the sensor's ability to detect the magnet.

Does this theory make sense? If so, is there anything I can do? If the theory's flawed, give me another one.

I'm not going to kill myself trying to solve this, but it would be nice if she could make use of the cadence sensor...

Thanks.

Pete Serotta
09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Cateye support is pretty good. They are located in Colo last time I used them. Send them an e-mail and ask for their assistance.

good luck. PETE