PDA

View Full Version : Something stung me: tick or just a bee?

saab2000
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
So yesterday I am pounding along on a great 50-miler here in Grand Rapids. I feel a sharp sting on my inner thigh.

Today there is a bit of a rashy irritated area about the size of a half-dollar. But not uniformly round. It is sorta pink. And a bit itchy.

I was once treated for what the doctor presumed to be a tick bite. It was much more uniformly round and did not itch or was not pink.

I think I just got a bee sting. But was wondering if anyone where had a thought about tick bites or how they look?

BTW, I think it's just a bee sting. I don't think a tick would sting/bite through shorts, would they?

Kevan
09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
yellerjackets. They get so damn ornery before they kick off.

tick bites like never ever sting, but leave a bump and cause some itch. If the ring persists see a dr.

pale scotsman
09-26-2007, 09:52 AM
You'd never feel a tick bite. It was either a bee or a wasp.

theprep
09-26-2007, 09:58 AM
There is no sharp sting associated with tick bites. You usually feel nothing and that is why they stay attached and feed for a couple days on your blood.

I had lyme disease ten years ago from deer tick. The sucker was just below my shoulder on the outside of my bicept and I never felt him. They need to be attached 24 hours to pass the infection.

1 out of 2 people who get lyme get a bulls eye right at the bite location. Consider yourself lucky if you get the bulls eye because then you can begin treatment right away and avoid symptoms.

dave thompson
09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Ticks don't sting or just bite, they hang on burrow in and suck your blood. If it were a tick, you would have seen the critter.

Ken Robb
09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
and bees leave their stinger and poison sac attached to the site so it sounds like wasp or hornet sting to me.

93legendti
09-26-2007, 11:25 AM
and bees leave their stinger and poison sac attached to the site so it sounds like wasp or hornet sting to me.

I had bee sting while riding in June 2006 and had an infection for a month--I thought I got the stinger out. It took a week for the infection to show up. Wierd. It left a nice scar.

imp25rs
09-26-2007, 12:14 PM
the color black makes bees angry and attack. Maybe some white biking shorts would be a good idea. :banana: