PDA

View Full Version : legend vs concours

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 10:55 AM
in doing my ti homework, how do the legend and the concours differ? most specifically, how might their rides differ? :confused:

Bruce K
12-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Climb;

Are you at this again? 8^)

It has always been my understanding that the Legend has more swaged (tapered?) tubes in the tubeset and is a bit stiffer.

Kind of like sports car vs touring car I would suggest. Both are responsive, but one is a little more responsive (Legend) and one is a little more comfortable (Concours).

Still loving my Concours (especially this time of year).

BK

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 11:15 AM
yep, still at it. bruce, when you got your concours, what did you ride it against, and what tipped the scales toward the concours? thanks.

victoryfactory
12-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Climb;

The legend and concours have the same rear triangle (unless they changed specs in '04) The legend top tube is "Colorado Concept" meaning baseball bat shaped (swaged) vs the non swaged concours TT. In regular tubing version the legend has a more high tech down tube than the concours, IMHO not a big difference here. I'm not sure if the oversize down tubes are different on the two bikes.

One of my favorite things about the legend is the polish vs matte finish on the concours. I found the matte finish less easy to clean and maintain, and generally less attractive. Also I like the 1/2 paint 1/2 polish which is standard on legend, upcharge on concours

If the two are compared in identical geometry, I probably couldn't tell the difference in ride.

Victory Factory

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 11:33 AM
with any new frame, there are so many variables. since i know that my fit is totally dialed in with serottas, if i go with a serotta ti, that cuts the variables way down. while its tempting to want to explore and experiemnt with other brands, i'm coming to appreciate just how important fit is. example: the bike i road yesterday, i had been messing around with it and had taken off the seatpost. during the ride, something small felt wrong. got home and pulled out the tape measure. i had put the seatpost back in one cm too high. one measly cm! but i could feel it. had i never gotten such a great fit with my serottas, i doubt i ever could have noticed such a small thing. but when you get something right, even small, small things feel off. so maybe in my search for a ti frame, sticking with a serotta might be the smart thing to do. for a change. :p

Johny
12-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Climb,

You must also feel the difference, for example, b/w a 172.5mm and a 175mm crankset. Hey, only 2.5mm....

JohnS
12-29-2003, 11:42 AM
The Legend has more double butted tubes, making it a little lighter. I got a Concours because when I ordered it (in 2000), the catalog said that it had 90% or the ride at 65% of the cost, or something like that. Since I was 41, 5'8", 155lbs, it fulfilled everything I wanted. Other than the increased prestige (or whatever you want to call it), I didn't see what the Legend could offer me in real-world terms.

Johny
12-29-2003, 11:46 AM
I agree with JohnS. Didn't they say that everything can be tuned?

Bruce K
12-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Climb;

When I got my Concours in 2000 it was $$$ driven as much as anything. I had test ridden Trek OCLV and Cannondale 3000 but liked the Concours best of the 3.

Also at the time I was just getting into all this and this was my first "serious" road bike investment.

That is part of the reason that I now have my Ottrott. Given what you have described of your riding style, if the price is not a major issue and it is about the ride/performance I might go for the Legend in your case.

Good luck in any case.

BK

JohnS
12-29-2003, 12:19 PM
If you get a Legend you'll be csm's bloodbrother and if you get the Concours you'll be mine. Take your pick!;)
P.S. With the Concours you can be snobby and correct everyone's pronunciation.

Bruce K
12-29-2003, 12:50 PM
BTW Climb;

I do still love my Concours and have no regrets about the purchase and, truth be told, if I had never test-ridden an Ottrott I would probably be still a 1 Serotta guy.

But that's a whole other story....

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 12:52 PM
geez, JohnS, that sounds like a reason to bypass both the legend and the concours!:beer:

seriously, tho, my only hesitation on the legend is it's often lauded by our bigger brethern, guys bigger and far more powerful than i. it sounds great for power-riders, sprinters and ex-linebackers. maybe the answer is to design a ti that will ride the way i want and then just see if kelly deems it a legend or concours. my CIII is as stiff as i'll ever need a frame, so in ti i'd be looking for light, climbing, and smoothness.

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 01:08 PM
here's an interesting stiffness/comfort situation:

my pegoretti fina is way stiffer than any of my steel bikes, yet it transmits less road buzz. there's this road near me that is very roughly paved, just constant buzz. it's an ideal test course for dampening tests. ottrott wins hands down. but fina is second, various steels third. so for me, i'd like a ti that was almost as smooth as the ottrott, but more flexy, more of the "give" of steel.

JohnS
12-29-2003, 01:20 PM
The way I understand it is that the Legend has more available tubing options so it can be spec'ed for a heavier rider. Therefore, if you're normal sized, it can be spec'ed with lighter tubes, which would make it just like a Concours (I think).

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 01:32 PM
thanks, john, that really clears things up. :p

vaxn8r
12-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Climb,

1 cm is a HUGE change is positioning. I can tell if my saddle is off by1-2 mm. You could hurt yourself doing something like that. No kidding.

Did you really mean 1 mm?

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
vaxn, you're right. my bad, my dumb. it's 1 mm. usually my saddle height is 75 mm from center of crankarm/BB. i had it at 76. yes, a measly mm. math nor the metric system are my strongsuits.

BTW, in an earlier post, you said you liked your serotta but it wasn't your favorite. what is, if i may ask? thanks.

JohnS
12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
You're right, Climb, the metric system isn't your strongpoint. (what is?). It would be 76cm. That's around 29.9 inches. 76mm is about 3 inches. I think your legs are longer than that.;)

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 04:02 PM
i give up. i'm switching to ballroom dancing. they don't use the metric system, do they? hey, i just do whatever my tape measure tells me to. they shouldn't let morons like me use tape measures, anyway. thanks, john, what little self respect i had left is now gone. want to kick my dog too? insult my mom? i have only one recourse left...let loose the bananas, attack, boys, attack!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

JohnS
12-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Your mother has enough trouble.
What kind of dog is it? I usually like dogs.

Climb01742
12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
a cocker spaniel. 14 years old. sweet as hell, deaf as a post, and weights all of 22 pounds, which i believe is about 10 kilos, right, mr. metric?

Johny
12-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Climb01742
... 22 pounds, which i believe is about 10 kilos, right, mr. metric?

Climb,

That is excellent.