PDA

View Full Version : Repair of Time ATAC pedals??

d_douglas
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I have an old pair of original Time ATACs that have wobbly bearings. Consensus would say that these are probably destined for the junk pile, but I would like to see if I can throw a bit of grease in them and tighten them up and get them working again (I still use these old but great pedals on my other MTB and city bikes).

Given that they have these weird molded plastic bodies, I am not sure how to disassemble them and get at the bearings? Do I need some special $50 tool?

Any advice or .pdf of instructions would be appreciated...

Thank you!

d_douglas
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Someone must have an idea on how to pry these babies apart! Too Tall??

SimonC
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I refrained from posting at first because this isn't much use, but it's better than nothing:

It depends on what model year they are, but there may be an alloy collar which comes off with a pin spanner.

There's then a circlip that holds the spindle into the pedal body. Unclip that, and the spindle will probably be press-fit into the bushing at the far end of the pedal - you can undo it by (for example) fitting the pedal into a crank (or into the special Park tool) and putting it into a vice, then putting pressure on the pedal body to detatch it.

The inboard bearing will come out with the spindle, and be attatched with another circlip (from memory).

The reason this may not be of any use is once I'd done all of that, the bearings were a stock size but the bushings weren't available as spares. You've therefore got to replace the bearing, and pack the bushing with grease in the hope you can minimise the play.

Too Tall
09-26-2007, 03:31 PM
You would ask!!!! I took my ATAC alums apart just before D2R2 this yr. I recall that after you remove the 4mm(?) nut from axel end you just smack the pedal b ody from inboard side and they fall apart. There is only one small outboard cartridge bearing and inboard is a Flintstone-worthy simple bushing. Hard to believe they'd wear out bub, maybe they just need grease and adjusting as you wish...that's my wish for you :)