PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cars. Grease Cars? I need a car.

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Leaving NYC means needing a car, unfortunately.
My needs:

-handles snow & ice like a champ.
-extremely fuel efficient & low emission.
-manual transmission.
-not entirely boring to drive.

I was thinking about building a grease car.

opinions!

davids
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Subaru. It's a cliché, but it's a cliché for a reason.

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/environment/index.html

wow. sweet. though none of their cars get over 30 mpg on the highway

but still, curious for opinions on grease cars. anyone running around of the left overs from your local chinese restaurant?

sbornia
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I was thinking about building a grease car.

opinions!

Around eco-friendly Berkeley, when the smug is not too thick, I see Mercedes sedans and wagons from the 1980s that have been converted to run on biodiesel. I think the parts and labor run less than $1k.

Ti Designs
09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
My needs:

-handles snow & ice like a champ.

That's easy, install a good driver!

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
everybody seems to think that they are the best driver they know.

I am no exception :cool:

goonster
09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Waste oil will shorten the life of your engine, no matter how much you treat and filter it. Believe it.

How will you get the oil? Where will you store it?

The availability of diesel cars in the U.S. is sadly limited, and the goods ones command a hefty premium. Older Benzes are slow. Older VW's (pre-TDI) are even slower, but probably more fun to drive. There are trucks, but they're . . . trucks.

You need a reliable source of good oil. Away from the west coast your chances of finding one are probably pretty good. I've been told that once you put the word out, the oil kind of finds you.

Right now my employers are covering most of my transportation costs, but if that changes I may think about converting my car.

Too Tall
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
New? Old? Safe?
Heck, a VolvoXC is amazing in snow and super safe and super pricey.
If I were looking for a budget go great in snow car that's not boring to drive I'd get a used Saab turbo and "chip" it.

goonster
09-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Looking for a "fun to drive" greaser conversion candidate that is good in snow?

Check out this (http://skytoprover.com/1980_series_III_rhd.html).

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 01:25 PM
New? Old? Safe?
Heck, a VolvoXC is amazing in snow and super safe and super pricey.
If I were looking for a budget go great in snow car that's not boring to drive I'd get a used Saab turbo and "chip" it.

My Last car was a Saab. I can't say enough bad things about it. Yeah, it was good in the snow and had great turbo stuff going on. . .

But it literally fell apart in my hands. I had center console/stick shift combo actually completely spontaneously fall apart while I was driving down the turnpike.

I was left with nothing but a little metal rod to shift with.

I have countless examples of these sorts of catastrophes. This was a post-GM Saab though, maybe that had something to do w/ it
Maybe I just got a "lemon"

bluehorseshoe
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
check out: http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/

Generally, a newer vehicle will emit less pollutants, even given the same mpg. Check out the lists for prior years, too. pollution control standards and technologies keep improving. This is one area where newer is better. I'd also suggest you purchase the smallest vehicle that will meet your needs -- less expensive, and less polluting.

Whatever you buy, make sure you maintain it well to keep it as low-polluting as possible.

I've found front wheel drive and snow tires (blizzaks) to be adequate for my snow driving needs. As for fun to drive, I won't tell you a Prius is as fun as a Porsche. However, making an underpowered car go quickly is still fun -- and less sociopathic than unleashing a hemi 'cuda on an unsuspecting residential neighborhood. (You can, however, trust me to safely keep your 'cuda, should the guilt overwhelm you. 440 wedges are okay with me, too.) I think the new Mini (non-turbo) looks compelling, if you're in the market for something new.

Cheers.

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I was thinking about minis....
i think they are rear wheel drive, no?

pjm
09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I was thinking about minis....
i think they are rear wheel drive, no?
Minis are front wheel drive.

Flat Out
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Well a 335xi fills 3 of your 4 requirements but it only gets about 25, highway.

itsflantastic
09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
requirement 5: not too fancy :D

Anyone with a Mini: How do they handle in snow? Like, real snow. . .

Bittersweet
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM

I have one and run snow tires on all four wheels in the winter. Runs great in snow. I'm a big believer in snow tires. Too many people rely on "all-seasons" with four wheel drive cars and get in a heap of trouble. You need the grip, especially when braking, and four wheel drive doesn't help with braking.

Bittersweet
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Real Mini in snow

stevep
09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
how about a testarossa?
very fun to drive and a chick magnet.

a loose fit on the other criteria.

Flat Out
09-24-2007, 04:21 PM

I have an '05 Mini Cooper S. You have to turn the DSC off and you need good all-weather or snow tires and it works pretty well. Good, not great. I made the mistake of changing over to my summer tires too early. We got another snow storm and it was a big problem. :crap:

erikbrooks
09-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Around eco-friendly Berkeley, when the smug is not too thick.

LOL

csm
09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
honda element. goes like a r*ped ape in the snow. not that i know how that would go actually.
lots of room. decent mileage. makes me smile when i drive it.

Too Tall
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Oh I am slow...THAT kind of greaser. Derr. Only one thing comes to mind, the greatest, most awesome truly inspiring diesel EVER...the VW diesel rabbit OH BABY :rolleyes:

Why a diesel? We ain't "there" yet. The new gen. diesels are almost here at a price that's not too bad but I'm holding out a few yrs.

Ti Designs
09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
everybody seems to think that they are the best driver they know.

Only the ones who don't know how to drive.

gdw
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Skidders used to be popular with the locals and can be had with turbo charged deisel engines. Great for exploring the backroads.

Bittersweet
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh I am slow...THAT kind of greaser. Derr. Only one thing comes to mind, the greatest, most awesome truly inspiring diesel EVER...the VW diesel rabbit OH BABY :rolleyes:

Why a diesel? We ain't "there" yet. The new gen. diesels are almost here at a price that's not too bad but I'm holding out a few yrs.

Had an '81 diesel Rabbit and an '86 diesel Jetta- speed machines no. Great mileage though and bulletproof motors. Drove the Jetta from SLC to Boulder and back on $10 of fuel once.

Bittersweet
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I have an '05 Mini Cooper S. You have to turn the DSC off and you need good all-weather or snow tires and it works pretty well. Good, not great. I made the mistake of changing over to my summer tires too early. We got another snow storm and it was a big problem. :crap:

I have a Cooper S JCW and the key is good snow tires. The run flats with their wide summer performance tread will never work in snow. Works great though with narrow snows on all four wheels. Switch the the DSC off for select standing starts, otherwise leave it on. Also remember it has a little four banger that is peaky and likes to spin the wheels at certain rpms thus requires modulation. The OP wants to buy the base model and as such won't have some of these wheel spin issues.