PDA

View Full Version : OT: MazdaSpeed3

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Anybody have one of these?

I'm shopping and this one seems to have everything I'm looking for . . . Smaller than my current SUV with vastly better mileage. Pocket rocket performance. Decent price. Plenty of room in the back with the seats folded down to haul a bike.

Any owner opinions? Any alternative suggestions? Maybe Subaru WRX? . . . :confused:

BBD

Bradford
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
The latest issue of Consumer Reports reviews it favorably.

michael white
09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
not much competition in that area, except maybe the vw gti

Climb01742
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
the new mitsu evo is supposed to be hot. given where you live, dave, i'd guess AWD would be nice.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
The latest issue of Consumer Reports reviews it favorably.

I saw the review in CU and they love it.

The general feedback I've gotten is that VW's are no more reliable now than when I owned one from '81-86. And anyway, the new GTI is attractive except for those wierd mag wheels with the round holes. Whoever speced those as standard equipment should be shot! Mad painful fugly!

Yes, AWD would be nice, and that's why I'm also considering the Subaru. Haven't seen anything about any new Mitsu, though I know Volvo has a new small car. I love the Mini, but it's just too small.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experiences to add about the MazaSpeed . . .

BBD

mschol17
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
My dad just bought a new Mazda 3 5-door, and he thinks it's really well put together. He chose it over the 3speed for the gas mileage, and over the GTI because it rides like a brick. Very cool car.

old_school
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I am on my second wrx; extremely reliable, great handling, goes like a mofo, reasonably (by today's standards) priced, plus the wagon back fit my bike nicely (for 08 they will be offering a hatch, as well). For me, the clincher was AWD: it gets me out of my driveway on snowy mornings when FWD can't cut it.

Ginger
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
You know the Mazda 3 is on a volvo platform, yes?

Mine isn't the speed version, Just a 3- 5 door (manual trans). I picked it up at the end of 2005 and I have 43000 miles on it.

It showed up with a bad fuel pump and an out of round tire (serious speed wobble). On the plus side I got really great mileage, on the down side, I worked the clutch a bit much.

Change out the tires to something decent ASAP/make sure the tires are decent. One or the other. I can't tell you the car handles well in snow yet. Mine didn't with the OEM tires. I'm hoping for better with the all season/snow tires I just put on. All ready we're doing better on rain soaked freeways and the ride is quieter. Yay.

My bike fits fine in the back with the seats down with a cooler on one side and a gear bag on the other with the front wheel in a wheel bag...
Your bike is bigger. Take it with you and try it, I think it might be a tighter fit. (Once again, I have the 5 door)

Plusses: I love the car.
Even *without* the speed version it's zippy enough to get away from the nuts on the highway, it has better freeway speed than say: the Vibe (which has zippy low end stuff, but is a dog on the highway)

If I were looking at cars today, I'd also look at the Mazda5 which is the same car with a different gearbox.

Go take a look at the Mazda 3 forums. There's plenty of real world comment out there, but a lot of it is from kids who got a rocket...Oh...hold it... ;)

JohnS
09-24-2007, 10:34 AM

)
I believe it's the other way around...

mef
09-24-2007, 10:34 AM
i have had my speed 3 for 9 months and am very satisfied for all the reasons you mentioned in your post. i switched from a acura suv and have nearly the same amount of hauling capacity. the car is a blast to drive, suprisingly practical, looks cool (yet understated unlike some other boy racers). performance is similar to my previous M3 w/o the high pricetag. This has to be one of the best values in the market. i think this would have been better w/ all wheel drive, likre the speed 6 but i heard there were some engineering or design problems mazda could not overcome. The result is that there is some serious understeer when one begins to push the limits. otherwise, this is truly a car that i enjoy driving on a daily basis, unlike a boring suv zzzzmobile.

Tom
09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Highway mpg = 28 for this thing. I get 23 mpg all-round with the Element. So I burn 776 more gallons of gas*. At $4 per gallon, that's $3100. I also spent $3000 bucks less for the loaded version of the Element than the base version of the Mazda.

Talk to your insurance agent. I paid a lot more insurance for the Civic Si than I do for the Element.

This web article cites Consumer Reports numbers giving the best bets for a car to make 200,000 miles and gives calculations that, for example, say that if you hang on to your Civic EX for 15 years instead of trading every 5 then you save about $30,800. http://www.familycar.com/Articles/CU/MakeYourCarLast.htm Not surprisingly, the Element is one of the best bets.**

All I'm saying is do <all> the math.

* intangible benefit of doing the right thing and burning less gas not factored in.

** intangible benefit of being shoved back in your chair when you hit the gas not factored in, either.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Highway mpg = 28 for this thing. I get 23 mpg all-round with the Element. So I burn 776 more gallons of gas*. At $4 per gallon, that's $3100. I also spent $3000 bucks less for the loaded version of the Element than the base version of the Mazda.

Talk to your insurance agent. I paid a lot more insurance for the Civic Si than I do for the Element.

This web article cites Consumer Reports numbers giving the best bets for a car to make 200,000 miles and gives calculations that, for example, say that if you hang on to your Civic EX for 15 years instead of trading every 5 then you save about $30,800. http://www.familycar.com/Articles/CU/MakeYourCarLast.htm Not surprisingly, the Element is one of the best bets.**

All I'm saying is do <all> the math.

* intangible benefit of doing the right thing and burning less gas not factored in.

** intangible benefit of being shoved back in your chair when you hit the gas not factored in, either.

I'm trying to balance doing the right thing and getting something that's fun to drive. My current '95 Passport gets maybe 16 all-around mpg and has 208k miles on it, so I've gotten my money's worth out of it, but at the price of worse mileage.

My goals are . . .

• Smaller than what I have
• Better mileage
• Fun to drive--translate pocket rocket after going without for 20 years.
• Still fit a bike in the back without using an outside rack
• Have enough room to go on vacation, hopefully with bike inside and another on an outside rack.

I definitely considered the Element, but it just falls down on the "sporty" requirement. Utility-wise, I doubt you can beat it. Everything seems to fold up or come out to make loads of room. Just not my pocket rocket style . . .

BBD

Serotta PETE
09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Dave, it is a fun car, dependable, and fits a bike. Additionally, at your age :D the insurance cost is probably no problem. For some reason the Civic SI was a magnet for high cost insurance - do not know if the new one is. If it is not the CIVIC Si 4 door would be worthwhile looking at (after checking with your agent.)

PETE

jhcakilmer
09-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I saw the review in CU and they love it.

Yes, AWD would be nice, and that's why I'm also considering the Subaru. Haven't seen anything about any new Mitsu, though I know Volvo has a new small car. I love the Mini, but it's just too small.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experiences to add about the MazaSpeed . . .

BBD

The Audi A3 uses the same body, powerplant, and most of the same suspension parts of the VW GTI, and it's AWD. They've made them for a few years, and if you get a good warranty you don't really need to worry. German's really know how to make sporty little cars.

I really like the Mazada...more power, but overall feel just isn't as tight as the VW/Audi. VW is not renown for reliability, but I have friend and relative that have a Bettle, and Golf and put 100k miles+ with few, if any problems.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 11:29 AM
. . . is more than I want to spend. I forgot to include that in my list! Don't want to spend more than $25k and want to get a new car. The A3's are up over $30k.

The Civic Si is also a possiblity, but I'm not sure the coupe meets the "get a bike in back" requirement. I've also gotten conflicting info about it being available in a 4 door or not.

BBD

jhcakilmer
09-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I can also recommend the Lexus IS300 SportCross......they stopped making them in 2005, they're kind of rare, and they use the same base engine that Toyota use to put in the Supra.

I've driven this car quite a few times (my brother owns one), and I think it's the best of both worlds.....sporty, and refined......but also very reliable. Also, if you wanted more power I'm sure there are several types of turbos that you could have installed.

He also carries his bike in the back without a problem.

Climb01742
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
it's not out yet, and getting a bike in might be a challenge, but soon bmw is bringing out the 1-series. i believe the smaller engine will be about $25k. the 1-series is basically a modern 2002. should be a ball to drive.

palincss
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
i have had my speed 3 for 9 months and am very satisfied for all the reasons you mentioned in your post. i switched from a acura suv and have nearly the same amount of hauling capacity. the car is a blast to drive, suprisingly practical, looks cool (yet understated unlike some other boy racers). performance is similar to my previous M3 w/o the high pricetag. This has to be one of the best values in the market. i think this would have been better w/ all wheel drive, likre the speed 6 but i heard there were some engineering or design problems mazda could not overcome. The result is that there is some serious understeer when one begins to push the limits. otherwise, this is truly a car that i enjoy driving on a daily basis, unlike a boring suv zzzzmobile.

Can you fit a bicycle inside it with the wheels on?

jhcakilmer
09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
it's not out yet, and getting a bike in might be a challenge, but soon bmw is bringing out the 1-series. i believe the smaller engine will be about $25k. the 1-series is basically a modern 2002. should be a ball to drive.

Really?? $25k.....I saw european pricing, and even the 128i with the smallest engine was 35k euro....but I don't know how that translates into dollars since it's not just a simple currency conversion.

I guess we'll see in the near future.

jhcakilmer
09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
The first car that I remember riding in was my mom's 1976 BMW 2002......what a fun car!!

goonster
09-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I saw european pricing, and even the 128i with the smallest engine was 35k euro.

Doesn't work that way, due to dollar hedging, taxes, etc.

Try converting euro MSRP's for a Boxster or Passat . . .

Tom
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
but they didn't so I went with plan B, the Element.

I did consider the Mazda 3 but I am not positive the fast one was available back then. That would have been very difficult not to go with, it looks like a pretty decent little car.

Serotta PETE
09-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Dave, they have been made for about a year and are on the lot down here in NC> I am trying to talk the wife into buying one for my one bike....IT FITS!!

. . . is more than I want to spend. I forgot to include that in my list! Don't want to spend more than $25k and want to get a new car. The A3's are up over $30k.

The Civic Si is also a possiblity, but I'm not sure the coupe meets the "get a bike in back" requirement. I've also gotten conflicting info about it being available in a 4 door or not.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Dave, they have been made for about a year and are on the lot down here in NC> I am trying to talk the wife into buying one for my one bike....IT FITS!!

. . . and drive it. The 4-door Civic is an attractive car, and if the rear seats fold down I imagine there's lots of room back there. I'm impressed with the MazdaSpeed6, but they have stopped making it, and anyway it didn't have fold down rear seats--something about that would have taken stiffness out of the back end of the car.

I don't have to make decision this week, but sometime in the next month or two would be good. I'm just starting test drives this week. I just don't want to test drive 15 different cars.

BBD

huey
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
The Speed 3 is a hoot to drive, fast fun and reliable. Keep in mind that the 3 will require premium fuel, it is not an option on turbocharged cars. Also, you will need a dedicated set of winter tires if you want to stay on the road in the winter.
I owned an Element and can make this statement: The most functional vehicle on the road, regardless of price. I slept in mine at a 24 hour MTB race, loaded up $1,300 worth of furniture from Ikea in it, carried two bikes inside along with 3 people and had two more on the roof, and generally just a cool vehicle. The downside is that @ 80 mph the engine is @ 3,600 rpm. Mine was an 04 FWD 5spd, so this may have changed. I know they introduced a 5spd auto in 06.
You also may look a certified pre-owned Audi A4 Avant. These come standarded with Quattro, and are amazing in the snow with a set on snow tires. You can pick them up for under $25k. If you have more questions PM me.

Too Tall
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Prob. not any help here Dave...my mechanic hates VWs. He says that the last 5 yrs. they have put zero thought into repair after warranty. To replace routine wear out items typically takes him hrs. more than the past. Apparently he's making good $$ on them :rolleyes:

goonster
09-24-2007, 12:54 PM
my mechanic hates VWs. He says that the last 5 yrs. they have put zero thought into repair after warranty. To replace routine wear out items typically takes him hrs. more than the past.

Not sure VW deserves to be singled out on this. How about the Hondas where you have to dismantle the airbox to change a headlight bulb? :no:

On the other hand, I'm a VW fan, but I'm staying away from the MkIV's.

Pete Serotta
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Seats did fold down on 2007....

. . . and drive it. The 4-door Civic is an attractive car, and if the rear seats fold down I imagine there's lots of room back there. I'm impressed with the MazdaSpeed6, but they have stopped making it, and anyway it didn't have fold down rear seats--something about that would have taken stiffness out of the back end of the car.

I don't have to make decision this week, but sometime in the next month or two would be good. I'm just starting test drives this week. I just don't want to test drive 15 different cars.

BBD

michael white
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
speaking of vw's, this nice number (a Jetta Sportwagon) is forthcoming soon.

ps the reliability issue is alleged to be improving.

pjm
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Just about all of these high-po small cars mentioned so far:
Mazdaspeed3
GTI
WRX
BMW 1 series
Civic Si....
require premium fuel.
A deal breaker for me.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
speaking of vw's, this nice number (a Jetta Sportwagon) is forthcoming soon.

ps the reliability issue is alleged to be improving.

. . . but that "sport" wagon looks kinda stodgy to me . . .

BBD

pjm
09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
BMW has announced a $29,995 starting price. Much higher than I originally heard. BMW always manages to keep me out of its club.

goonster
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
require premium fuel.
A deal breaker for me.

Why?

Premium fuel = high compression = efficient engine

BTW, you don't need to put premium fuel in any of these sleds. Put in the cheap stuff and the knock sensor will tell the ECU to dial back timing and boost pressure.

michael white
09-24-2007, 02:25 PM
. . . but that "sport" wagon looks kinda stodgy to me . . .

BBD

whoa dude:
you wouldn't be having a midlife crisis, would you?

huey
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Why?

Premium fuel = high compression = efficient engine

BTW, you don't need to put premium fuel in any of these sleds. Put in the cheap stuff and the knock sensor will tell the ECU to dial back timing and boost pressure.

You don't need to put premium fuel in, but the cost difference of $.020 cents a gallon isn't worth the hassle of a check engine light coming on, or having to make a trip to the dealer to have the vehicle scanned and reset. Also, your fuel mileage will suffer if you don't use premium. BBDave stated that he wants to keep the vehicle a long time (200K) miles. It isn't worth the hassel and possible future repair costs to not use premium fuel.

pjm
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Its 40 cents a gallon more in these parts. And thats why.

csm
09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I run the lowest octane fuel in my element and get better mileage than when I ran higher octane. I was thinking about what to do next year; do I get rid of it and geth the 2009 version, (supposed to be the next gen coming out), keep it until the wheels fall off or get an 08 at a nice discount. I just had my 05 in for it's 40k service. excluding tires and fuel, it's cost me about $500 to service.

huey
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
It is a Honda they run for ever. I say keep it and see what the new model brings. Honda does a 5 year run per model and then change the body style, or at least on average, and there are exceptions to this rule.
My step dad just got an 07 SC at a screamin deal. I drove it and it made me remeber how much I liked mine. However, after driving an Audi it would be hard to go back to a Honda. Although working at a dealer makes it much easier to get it fixed in the event of an issue.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
. . . and still come out way ahead of the fuel costs for my Passport at the crummy mileage it gets.

But I don't believe I said I expect my next car to last 200k miles. My Passport has lasted that long, but that's with a V-6 and not pushed hard. With a boy racer platform like the MazdaSpeed3 I wouldn't expect it to last that long. Though I would most likely stick an after market oil cooler in there. I had one in my '77 hopped up Rabbit and it really helped on temps there.

CSM, do you mean it cost you that much at a dealer or elsewhere? you're always gonna get screwed on service costs if you go to the dealer.

BBD

csm
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
I meant that for all services (@ every 10k for oil, etc) that is what I've spent in total. they wash it for me too.probably more than it would be at the independents, but cheap enough that I take it to the dealer.

eddief
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
could be fun and utilitarian. Supposedly really decent power to weight ratio, 25 mpg overall, and I hear they are pretty fast and handle surprisingly well for a tallish vehicle.

Drinks premium.

If I had not impulsed into my 330i, I'd be considering one of these. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the heck out of what I got, but would never take it in the dirt.

Louis
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll plug my car:

Acura RSX (aka Integra)

No longer in production, but used should be available. Sporty hatchback, very good gas mileage (I get better than 35 mpg average on my '97 Integra), and very good reliability.

With the back seats down (which is where I keep them 99% of the time) my 60 ST bikes fit easily with the front wheel off.

I don't know what I'll replace it with. 160k miles so far, I'm going to see if I can make it to 200k.

Louis

Climb01742
09-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I run the lowest octane fuel in my element and get better mileage than when I ran higher octane. I was thinking about what to do next year; do I get rid of it and geth the 2009 version, (supposed to be the next gen coming out), keep it until the wheels fall off or get an 08 at a nice discount. I just had my 05 in for it's 40k service. excluding tires and fuel, it's cost me about $500 to service.

csm, what kind of MPG have you been getting? thanks.

Ginger
09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah...To me (43000 miles in less than 2 years) Service costs are high for the Mazda...

I have the 2.3 engine (not the speed version) it calls for 87 octane and I get 30mpg mixed. If I'm sitting in traffic jams I get 28. If I'm just doing freeway, I get 32mpg.

csm
09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I get 23 around town and 26-27 hwy.

pjm
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Get the Mazdaspeed3 Dave. Its a great little car. Don't mess around with an oil cooler, run synthetic oil. I'm sure Mazda specs it in this car. Oh, and with this car you'll probably need one of these.....
http://www.escortradar.com/
:cool:

ecl2k
09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Make sure you test drive a GTI too, I think you'll be impressed with its fit and finish compared to a mazda.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Here I was looking for some help and all these other motorheads are just making it more complicated! :p

I was thinking the MazdaSpeed3 in black, with black mags with just that silver ring around each rim, a tastefully slim yellow pinstripe, and a Thule rack for the roof with yellow RockyMounts troughs. either that or one of those Saris Bones racks for the back--in yellow, of course!

Really! I'm serious! . . . :beer:

But now one of my buddies here at home tells me tonight while we're riding . . . "DON'T under any circumstances get a black car!" he says. It will always look dirty or dusty, he says. It will show swirl marks if you wax it, he says.

Sheesh! Why. Can't. This. Just. Be. Simple? :crap:

BBD

JohnS
09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Silver never shows dirt.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 09:11 PM
That's what he told me!

But I don't like silver . . .

I love "Gimme-a-ticket" red, but, well, you know . . . it's well, "GIMME-A-TICKET" red! :crap:

BBD

JohnS
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
C'mon Dave. You have a shaved head and a bumblebee bike. How much more "Hey folks, look at me!" do you need? :D

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
. . . I could mask off the windows and spray paint the whole thing yellow? How many cans o' Krylon do you think that would take, John? . . .

BBD

JohnS
09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Use a roller...that'll get you noticed.

MVANALSTYNE
09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I have one. True red The wild child. It is very fast. other than the 18" wheels
you would think its an economy car how ever, its a rocket. they say 0-60 in
5.8 seconds.i would say that is accurate. its solid, comfortable, but the biggest selling point is your bike fits nicely in the back when you fold the seats down. i did want a 350 Z real bad but the last point wom out.
things to be aware of with a sports car....premium gas,but 28 miles to gallon.
race tires wear quickly, you must rotate every 5000 miles and resist burn outs
because it will in three gears. the seats are comfortable front and back.
cool looking dash. turbo kicks about the same time your foot hits the gas pedal. did I mention my bike fits in the back? let me know if you have any specific questions, i have no regrets. its fun!!!

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
. . . He's got me . . . Help! :eek:

BBD

Wayne77
09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Get the MazdaSpeed3!!

I drove a MazdaSpeed6 the other day and that one very fast car for the money. - very fun to drive. The MazdaSpeed3 should be even funner!

The Honda Civic Si was a lot of fun too..

ThasFACE
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
MS3 = very fun and fairly practical. Pull the trigger.

huey
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM
I say get it and enjoy it. It sounds as if your decision has already been made. Someone mentioned a Subaru Forester XT, these are great, and can be made even better with ~$1k spent in aftermarket mods. Chip it, a rear sway bar and you are golden, plus it is all wheel drive, which I'm sure will help you out in NY winters. :beer:

Blastinbob
09-25-2007, 08:28 AM

It's on a Ford Focus platform.

JohnS
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
It's on a Ford Focus platform.
The European Focus? I thought the Volvo was on the Mazda chassis. :confused:

pjm
09-25-2007, 08:47 AM
They're all based on the Euro Focus platform. Strangely, the American Focus isn't.

saab2000
09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a 2006 VW GTI. Good car. It does, unfortunately as previously mentioned, require premium fuel. Not a gigantic issue, but a stinger nonetheless. I drive far less than many people (I have about 13,000 miles on the car since I bought it 18 months ago) so it's not as much of an issue.

Gas mileage on the highway is about 32-33 mpg. In town mid-20s. Bike fits in the back with the seat folded down with removing just the front wheel. Manual trasmission is available.

If you don't option yourself out of the pricepoint, this car can be had for a good price. I got no options at all and got out for about $22K. The car comes very nicely equipped at that price. There are no engine options and it comes with a premium sound system and xenon HID headlamps, cruise, trip computer, tons of airbags, ABS, stability control, headlamp washers and a 6-speed manual. If you start glopping it up with leather and the funky automatic manual and sunroof you are looking at $30K rapidly. I got no sunroof 'cuz I don't like them. And I was happy that the car was available without. Many cars today come with them as if it's a 'feature' everyone wants.

I digress.

The GTI is one of the great performance and practicality deals available today. And it's a German car at a good price. :banana:

Edit - I also have a Thule rack for the car. I don't use it much, but it does increase the utility quite a bit. It would be a comfortable car for 2 or more with bikes on the roof, though obviously this has it's own issues (noise and fuel economy penalty).

BURCH
09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
My wife had a 4 door Mazda Protégé for the last 8 years (130,000+ miles). The car is a tank in all weather conditions and we have replaced only the timing belt and water pump this past summer. I can't say anything bad about Mazda because her car was so reliable. We just needed some more space and my sister-in-law needed a college car...so

We wanted to get another Mazda, but something with some more room for bikes or camping gear. Unfortunately, they discontinued the Protégé. We wanted a hatchback or small SUV (Mazda3 or Tribute). I guess that the Mazda3 replaced the protégé.

I am sure that the 3 and tribute are both great cars, but we hated the aesthetics of both vehicles. It was either the fast and furious (mazda3) or the transformer (tribute). Don't know why the got rid of the classic look the Tribute had inside. Anyhow, we were bummed that we didn't like either. The Mazda 6 is way overpriced to us.

We are down to one car now and still looking...

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
. . . the GTI is not a good deal or a good car. I just don't like these $&*$# wheels that seem to be on every one of this year's.

BBD

BURCH
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Silver never shows dirt.

This is true. Our last car was silver and we never had to clean it due to it looking dirty.

JohnS
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
A Tribute is just a Ford Escape with a different namebadge...

saab2000
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
. . . the GTI is not a good deal or a good car. I just don't like these $&*$# wheels that seem to be on every one of this year's.

BBD

If I am not mistaken, those wheels are an upcharge item. They are the 18" wheels and cost extra. Mine are the 17s, which are standard and less ugly. They also come with all-season tires. If you want real performance, you gotta get the summer tires.

I will be getting some eventually, but budget concerns keep it from happening now.

Anyway, mine are nice and did not require paying extra for ugly wheels.

michael white
09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I love the gti.

it has every bit of the performance of the Civic si, with the practicality of a hatchback. Killer car. It has substance, too, being built on the same chassis as the Audi A3 and the Jetta.

4 door model coming this year.

You ask for the wheels you want.

me, I've only got 92k on my Integra, so I guess I'll have to wait a couple years for a new bike hauler/sporty hatch.

BumbleBeeDave
10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
. . . and took delivery this past Wednesday. In stealth black with the grand touring package, which adds the leather upholstery, xenon lights, and CD changer. 262hp, Bose stereo, really nice! I can't believe i really went and did it! I still get in, drive down the street, and have to remind myself that I don't have to return it to some rental agency or something . . .

The GTI was my second choice. Power came on really smooth and the car felt very refined--like a larger car compared to the Mazda, even though it isn't. A more upright driver's position than the Mazda, too. Lotsa room in the back, but kinda yucky looking plaid seats.

I also drove the Civic SI sedan (they don't make a hatchback any more) and it was real smooth, but the VTEC didn't kick in with the power till up around 6000rpm--I'd have to really wind it out all the time to have any fun with it. Plus the rear seats fold down, but the opening is awkward to fit a bike in there and I could only get one in.

The Subaru WRX was last on the list. Nice car, real sure footed with the all-wheel drive, but the 2008 body style looks like a big egg to me.

The Mazda has great pick-up, even though I'm still breaking it in and trying not to be too zoomy yet. But you jam the pedal and it starts going--then about a second into it there's this WHOOSH as the turbo kicks in. Yeeow! What a change after 11 years of Honda SUV! With the back seats folded down and the shelf removed, there's plenty of room to get two road bikes in there if you stack them . . .

Thanks to all for all your great advice! I be real happy! :D :p :banana:

BBD

Elefantino
10-27-2007, 08:45 PM
In stealth black with the grand touring package
I'm assuming yellow pin stripes will be coming soon?

BumbleBeeDave
10-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm assuming yellow pin stripes will be coming soon?

. . . I have to confess I've been thinking about it! :rolleyes: :beer:

BBD

bcm119
10-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Nice BBD. I've got a 2.0 5sp mazda 3, and love the way it handles. The speed 3 must be a blast! I'll bet you need new tires by February.

Keith A
10-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Congrats on your new ride.

Tom
10-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Just watch the right foot. You won't talk your way out of many tickets with that rig.

Ironically, I drove a Civic Si for 11 years without a speeding ticket, got in the Element and within 6 months got popped for 75 in a 50 over on 279 outside of Bennington.