PDA

View Full Version : Are Serotta bikes becoming more common?

bulliedawg
07-12-2004, 05:42 AM
I went for a ride yesterday and saw two big Ss out of five bikes. Include mine, and that would be three.

It used to be that I never saw them. Now I can't piss a circle around myself without hitting one. I don't mean to be a bike snob, but I used to like the fact that where I live at least they were a novelty.

I must admit that the CSi is still a novelty, as the CIII and Legend are what I see.

Sandy
07-12-2004, 06:19 AM
They are becoming more and more plentiful in the Washington D.C. area.

Bow Wow Sandy

Bruce H.
07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Interesting post. I was riding with Geezohwiz yesterday (he just got a new Legend) and on our last hill I decided to motor past a guy on a red bike. I didn't notice what he was riding. Geez starts to chat and I hear Guy's bicycles. Turns out he's riding a sweet CIII. Needless to say. I dropped back and we chatted up the climb.
What a wordy way to say I also am seeing more Serotta's as well as other high end frames.
Bruce H

William
07-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Interesting.
I used to see quite a few of them back in Portland. I haven't seen one (other than mine) here in Rhode Island.

William

Ozz
07-12-2004, 09:50 AM
more plentiful? maybe...

Common? Never!

:D

Dekonick
07-12-2004, 01:54 PM
On my 40 mile ride yesterday I saw 1 Serotta (looked nice too!)
Saw MANY Trek's, C-dale's, LeMond's,mmmm I think 2 Colnago's, a pinerallo, a DeRosa, (thinking.... thinking.... thinking....) hmmm a few specialized (shudders - worst frame I have ever been on!) -

again many bikes; more roadies now than I have seen in years... since I lived in Europe! - BUT even so only one Serotta other than mine. I have also seen a red Serotta in the Ellicott City area every now and again. My other Serotta is a pink/purple fade - if anyone has seen that bike around it was my slow arse.

I doubt they will ever become common.

Oh get this! I was in Race Pace today looking around just cuz I was looking for something to do - and I noticed a Waterford. Nice looking bike, but why did they outfit it with crappy 'ponents? - saw a USPS Trek also with crummy 'ponents - cane creek headset, rest was OK with ultegra (I still think Ultegra is a good buy - but after trying Campy I think it will be hard to go back to Shimano)

Trek = common
Serotta = great ride!

bostondrunk
07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
When a company has a 6+ week waiting period for frames, you can bet they are selling quite a few. It can't be helped that they will become more common. Get a Nagasawa, I've never seen one of those on a ride..

Ahneida Ride
07-12-2004, 02:24 PM
There are ton's of Serotta's in the Capital District !

Bruce K
07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
William;

I was in Newport this weekend and brought along my Concours.

While doing a tour of the island I saw 2 or 3 other Serottas.

They are out there.

Where in RI do you ride?

BK

shaq-d
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
i've the only one i've seen in canada, but i know there are a few out there based on the message boards.. was in my LBS and the guy thought serotta was an italian bike 'cause of the italian-sounding name and the campy parts..hehehe.

sd

tom2517
07-12-2004, 05:25 PM
there are quite a bit of them around the bay area, plenty of seven, merlin, and litespeed too.

tom

William
07-13-2004, 06:45 AM
William;

I was in Newport this weekend and brought along my Concours.

While doing a tour of the island I saw 2 or 3 other Serottas.

They are out there.

Where in RI do you ride?

BK

Bruce K.,
I live in East Greenwich so I generally head out west and SW into the rural areas to ride. I would like to explore more of South County in the future. Back in 95 I came out to visit my parents who lived in Newport at that time. I rode that Ocean drive loop about 20x's to get some milage in.

So, all the Serotta-ites are hanging out in Newport huh?. Allright, I'm heading south on my next ride. ;)

If you come down this way again, drop me a line if you like. I'm always looking for people to ride with.

William

Dr. Doofus
07-13-2004, 09:13 AM
the Mr. Heston view:

when serottas are common
only commoners will ride serottas

from my cold dead hand....

Bradford
07-13-2004, 11:07 AM
William,

Have you ridden with the NBW yet? When I moved to Cumberland I rode alone until I found the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen (http://www.nbwclub.org). Great people, great rides around the state, and a good mix of speeds on each ride. I haven't made many rides this summer due to my wedding, but should start again this week or next.

Elefantino
07-13-2004, 11:40 AM
I just tell them it's the Wal-Mart house brand.

William
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Bradford,

No I haven't but thank you for the link. :) I'll check into them. I've been riding solo since I moved here. I like riding on my own but I do miss pack riding sometimes.

Thanks,

William